Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wild speculation - 2013 p85 - yea or nea ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys. - just for speculation and conversation. I have the model 3 but I also like the look and size of the S - perhaps for wife. What would you think of a 2013 P85 with ~ 50k miles. I see these for about 37k now., for instance...5YJSA1CG0DFP24458 Seems interesting, even without AP. Historically, is that a good model or not ? Do all the early issues get shaken out ?

I had a 2014 P85D. The answer seems to be "it depends". I had a lot of little issues... more than I'm going to list. Most of them didn't render the vehicle undriveable (some did), and Tesla always took car of the well under warranty, but out of warranty it wouldn't have been fun. Others, on the other hand, had virtually flawless cars. Interestingly I never had a problem with anything that that was unique to an electric car. The problems were mostly on accessory items,

Some of the persistent problems:
- door handles (I had 7 fail).
- the A/C system (twice)
- the MCU (I had 3 fail).
- washer motor (twice)

Unfortunately I can't say that the issues ever got shaken out. In some cases (door handles for example), Tesla just replaced the old problematic unit with a new problematic unit. They fixed the design for newer cars, but they didn't or couldn't adapt it to the new cars.

Some folks did, as I said, have excellent cars. Also, I'm from a very cold area and my car is winter driven through the ice/snow/salt, so I've probably got a worst case scenario. Southern cars probably fare better.

Sorry... that's not a definitive answer. If your wife wants to have a rock-solid vehicle, I'd be a little cautious. If she's okay dealing with the odd issue then that's different.

• Informative
Reactions: pipestem
I have a 2013 P85 that I picked up new at the factory, and haven't had very many problems with it. About 50K miles so far.

It has the original screen with no issues yet (knock on wood), it has had all 4 door handle innards replaced when one malfunctioned (and they've been okay since). One drive unit replaced because it was making some noise. Tires last about 25K miles with rotation. The rears get the typical wear on the inside that can't be easily remedied without suspension modifications.

It's been what I would consider a great car for the most part.

Reactions: pipestem
screen potentially gets delamination, rear taillights may craze ( had one do it and got replacement off facebook for $170)
handles are fixable. haven;t had problems with mine since the original replacements in '13
Still absolutely love my '12 even with the many problems I've had. pretty much all fixed, some better than when original.

Sorry... that's not a definitive answer. If your wife wants to have a rock-solid vehicle, I'd be a little cautious. If she's okay dealing with the odd issue then that's different.

Maybe, maybe not. She is a little adventurous, but then again she might demand the 3, which would be very bad for the marriage. Thanks for the detail answers - everyone.