Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Car Slow Less if Being Tailgated? [while on autopilot]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday Nick, on autopilot, slowed down much more dramatically than necessary. I noticed that the driver behind me got a little worried about rear ending me. Here's the video:

My question: Let's say that the following driver had been tailgating me so much that he might have run into me. Would the car have slowed down less in that situation? IOW, would it have balanced the need for not hitting the car in front with not getting hit in the rear?

Yesterday Nick, on autopilot, slowed down much more dramatically than necessary. I noticed that the driver behind me got a little worried about rear ending me. Here's the video:

My question: Let's say that the following driver had been tailgating me so much that he might have run into me. Would the car have slowed down less in that situation? IOW, would it have balanced the need for not hitting the car in front with not getting hit in the rear?
If your car hit another head on, the tailgater would also hit your car. So, that would be faulty logic. Not to mention that the risk to you is much lower from the tailgater than for hitting another head on.

Let me describe it better. In that situation, the car didn't even need to slow down at all. Actually, most of the slowing occurred after the turning car was out of the roadway. Let's say the car behind me had been following very closely.

I'm thinking that the car's logic should think, "Well, the guy behind is going to hit me, there's still plenty of room ahead, so I won't slow down as much."

In that situation I knew the car was going to slow down more than it needed, and I let it do its thing. If I'm not sure it will use the correct logic, I'll intervene instead.

Let me describe it better. In that situation, the car didn't even need to slow down at all. Actually, most of the slowing occurred after the turning car was out of the roadway. Let's say the car behind me had been following very closely.

I'm thinking that the car's logic should think, "Well, the guy behind is going to hit me, there's still plenty of room ahead, so I won't slow down as much."

In that situation I knew the car was going to slow down more than it needed, and I let it do its thing. If I'm not sure it will use the correct logic, I'll intervene instead.
The car slows because it perceived a risk of collision ahead. In such case, the car must do what is necessary to avoid that perceived threat. The car must react to falsely identified threats just as it would to one correctly identified since it does not know that it is false.

Version 10.69.3.1 appears to have reduced the amount of slowdown for turning cars versus previous versions, but it still overreacts from my testing experience.