Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Chrome trim ever be an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had posted above that grey anodized aluminum could be a good candidate for future trim finishes due to its ease of manufacturing and inherent durability.

Then I noticed that it had apparently already come and gone. I think it looks pretty nice, I wonder why they didn't keep it?

model-3-red-e1469562507833.jpg

Upvote 0
Generally speaking Tesla prefers simplicity of manufacturing and supply chain, so I expect they wouldn't bring this back as an option at all. If it ever came back it'd be changing everything back to it.

See also the SR never getting cloth seats or the "missing" center console because it was easier to only have 1 physical config for the vehicle and a slew of other such examples throughout their history.

Upvote 0
The stuff around the windows has been aluminum forever. My 67 GTO has 3 different types of brightwork. When people say "chrome," they often are describing a look, rather than the actual metal. But the stuff that is chrome plated is the stuff that is usually cast, out of what is called "pot metal." The bumpers are, too, but I'm just talking trim. The rocker molding is thin, stamped stainless. The window vents and door handles are chrome plated. The window trim and driprail moldings are all anodized aluimum. And that stuff SUCKS, because it eventually gets cloudy, and the only way to make it bright is to remove the anodization, which is chemically bound to aluimum, meaning it has to be sanded down and off, so it is very time consuming. Then it has to constantly be polished.

Why is black trim considered a fad by some? WHy is chrome not a fad? Because it was first used? So were chrome bumpers......when is the last time you saw any of those? Are LED headlamps a fad, too?

I personally think black trim looks better on modern cars. My 944's were late 80's cars, but even the 911's from the late 70's on look better than the early 70's ones, because the trim was black, rather than chrome. Now, for cars with chrome bumpers, different story. Some cars look good with brushed aluminum (the satin finish looking stuff, like Audi has one some of the S cars). But bright chrome looks as dated as greased back hair and rolled up jeans with cagiarette packs rolled into shirtsleeves.
Black trim(plastic) has been available for years on lower end cars because its cheaper to produce. The chrome trim will last for years while the plastic will oxidize which will appear faded and collect wax, which makes the car appear tired. Which is why you see all the commercials for the products to restore the plastic. I still have a car from 95 that has glass headlights and I've never had to deal with the plastic haze that develops on the new car's plastic headlights. The trend to add addtional plastic to vehicles isn't because the manufacturers think you like the blackout look, its because its cheaper, and no the plastic isn't environmentally friendly. I don't have a problem with a blackout approach, which can look really nice if done well. However, black highlights on all paint colors looks cheap IMO. Ideally it would be an option from tesla which Im sure many would be glad to pay a fairly steep price for( new revenue stream Tesla!? I can see it now.. +1,000 for chrome trim).

Upvote 0
Black trim(plastic) has been available for years and is more prevelent on lower end cars because its cheaper to produce. The plastic eventually oxidizes which makes it pourous and more likely to collect dirt and wax, resulting in a tired look. Which is why you see all the products to restore the plastic look. I have a car from 95 that has glass headlights and I've never had to deal with the plastic haze that develops on a newer car's plastic headlights. The trend to add addtional plastic to vehicles isn't because the manufacturers think customers like the blackout look, or because its environmentally friendly, its because its cheaper. I personally like the blackout look when its done well. However, just black highlights, and on all paint colors doesn't come off as well done, and looks like a cheap cost cutting step in IMO. Ideally choosing the trim would be an option from Tesla, which I'm sure many would be glad to pay a fairly steep price for. Hey Tesla, how about a new revenue stream!? I can see it now... "+1,000 for chrome trim" I'd definitely opt for it.

Reactions: Maxpilot
Upvote 0
will never tolerate chrome trim. always associated it as faux luxury item. An aesthetic that was made popular in the 50s but still lingers here and there. kinda like a fax machine.

To each our own...

I'm #TeamChrome and in fact even replaced the wheels on my 3 with 19s, just because I wanted a brighter look.

There's no right answer ... to each our own.

Attachments

• IMG_5913.png
    IMG_5913.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
To each our own...

I'm #TeamChrome and in fact even replaced the wheels on my 3 with 19s, just because I wanted a brighter look.

There's no right answer ... to each our own.
I totally agree with you. I have a blue 2020 M3 with the 19 inch "chrome" wheels. I think it looks stunning. I think black trim on a blue car looks very ugly. However, I think it looks pretty good on a red one. But that's all a matter of taste. I have no beef with people who prefer black trim and black wheels. My beef is with Tesla for not giving us the choice.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you. I have a blue 2020 M3 with the 19 inch "chrome" wheels. I think it looks stunning. I think black trim on a blue car looks very ugly. However, I think it looks pretty good on a red one. But that's all a matter of taste. I have no beef with people who prefer black trim and black wheels. My beef is with Tesla for not giving us the choice.
Originally I thought the only way to go was the Stormtrooper look of the white w/black trim.
I've embraced the Targaryen-ness of the red w/black trim and ordered a red Model 3 Performance.
My aftermarket wheels will likely be black 19s, once I burn off the OEM 20" P-Zeros.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
Upvote 0
Call me old fashioned but I prefer the look of the chrome window trim rather than the "new" chrome delete black trim look. Especially on the midnight silver M3 LD I have on order. I've looked at the Tesla parts list and believe I see the trim offered in both chrome and black. Does anybody know about this? Would the old chrome trim fit a new 2022 or is that for earlier than 2019 models. Has anybody replaced the "chrome delete" black trim with chrome? I wouldn't necessarily do all the other chrome trim but perhaps the door handles. Thanks for any advice or help.

Upvote 0