Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will current model Ys be able to use future 4680 packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if this is known or not... if I get a new model Y today (2270 battery), will I be able to install a future 4680 pack on it in the future? Or will a future replacement say 5 years from now have to be a 2170 pack?

Has anything been said about compatibility?
thx!

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Agreed - there are enough structural and electrical differences that it's unlikely to ever do a 2170 to 4680 pack swap.
Just curious if this is known or not... if I get a new model Y today (2270 battery), will I be able to install a future 4680 pack on it in the future? Or will a future replacement say 5 years from now have to be a 2170 pack?

Has anything been said about compatibility?
thx!
Nothing has been said about that compatibility.

Tesla has an amazing engineering team. They have resolved problems much more complicated than this.

Nothing has been said about that compatibility.

Tesla has an amazing engineering team. They have resolved problems much more complicated than this.
Even if that's the case, it will never happen.
Tesla wants to sell new cars, so they won't make any effort to adapt the installation of a 4680 pack into a 2170 pack Tesla.
And, IMO, in this case, it actually makes sense they act like that.

Who will bother to have a 4680 pack (instead of a 2170) into a 2170 pack Tesla five or more years from now?

Even if that's the case, it will never happen.
Tesla wants to sell new cars, so they won't make any effort to adapt the installation of a 4680 pack into a 2170 pack Tesla.
And, IMO, in this case, it actually makes sense they act like that.

Who will bother to have a 4680 pack (instead of a 2170) into a 2170 pack Tesla five or more years from now?

The one and only reason Tesla would do all the engineering work to enable swapping a 4680 pack into an older 2170 car is because it would somehow save them enough money to pay for all that custom engineering. Given that pack-replacement is fairly rare, this is incredibly unlikely.