Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will EAP owners get free FSD eventually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's also free if you purchased your car, with EAP, after the first of the year.

This apparently is true though I have no idea why it was thought necessary. I mean why arbitrarily make it free for those who purchased EAP in January but not December, or every prior month it was available, and also provide a refund for those who paid for FSD up front, if you are now just going to give it away?

Not likely. They are not giving the new features not part of original EAP away for free. In fact as long as they don't take away features from EAP we should be happy!
My thought was it would be problematic to support EAP only owners in future releases of firmware now that major parts of it are in FSD.

For example, in the future NOA in FSD will extend to streets so would they support two versions of NOA -- one for freeways only (for EAP owners). That seems highly unlikely, so the obvious options would to stop enhancing/supporting EAP, take away functions from EAP -- or give FSD to EAP owners. We'll see.

Last edited:
My thought was it would be problematic to support EAP only owners in future releases of firmware now that major parts of it are in FSD.

For example, in the future NOA in FSD will extend to streets so would they support two versions of NOA -- one for freeways only (for EAP owners). That seems highly unlikely, so the obvious options would to stop enhancing/supporting EAP, take away functions from EAP -- or give FSD to EAP owners. We'll see.
Let’s put it this way, when newer features only work with HW3 (or work better with), Tesla can simply enable those features on HW3 cars and disable them for non-HW3 cars. Obviously you would have to pay for FSD to get HW3.

Let’s put it this way, when newer features only work with HW3 (or work better with), Tesla can simply enable those features on HW3 cars and disable them for non-HW3 cars. Obviously you would have to pay for FSD to get HW3.
Yep that seems reasonable. I realize Tesla had tried to hold down prices by having two levels of autopilot but long term it seems to make more sense to have EAP or AP and FSD one package. How to get it to a reasonable price is the challenge short term. The company can obviously use the money but expecting most customers to cough up $8k -$10k probably won't work at least until something approaching true self driving is developed.

Last edited:
This apparently is true though I have no idea why it was thought necessary. I mean why arbitrarily make it free for those who purchased EAP in January but not December, or every prior month it was available, and also provide a refund for those who paid for FSD up front, if you are now just going to give it away?
The only thing that jumps to mind is the tax credit reduction. Although there may have been other considerations near that time as well - I completely lost track of all the pricing fluctuations ... :confused:

They can still support the two different versions. They can keep calling NOA the same and just call the other FSD. FSD will include NOA, or they could change its name to something more indicative of its freeway only restriction. Maybe Navigate On Autopilot Highways, or NOAH, but you can only use it if you have couples in the car. Or, Highway Only Personal Excursions. :D