Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will FUSC transfer be back for q2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's June and no news on FUSC coming back. I am getting antsy that my 2015 S with FUSC will die before I get a chance to transfer it to a new vehicle. I guess it would get an S, but maybe the new 3? Or the Y? I have slept in the back of the S on a few long trips in camping areas. I want to pick another car that will last many years.

Reactions: seenhear
FSD transfers are apparently back now, through August 31, according to notateslaapp.
If I could transfer both my FSD and FUSC to a new S, I'd probably jump. Apparently this was possible for a small window of time earlier this year, but I didn't know about it.
ditto. We had the car in for a minor recall thing and found out by overhearing someone else discussing it with one of the reps. This was on a Wednesday and you had to take delivery that Sunday. No idea why there was no notification. Checking frequently now.

I wonder the following:

When the battery fails on one of the old models with FUSC, Tesla will offer to replace it with a used battery that is comparable as to "rated range." I recall various contributors on this site that the going price with these used and reconditioned batteries is around $12-14K. I understand that the batteries remain intact and Tesla merely overhauls the BMS and cooling functions before selling them. Many experts have indicated that you cannot mix and match the modules; hence the old battery remains intact. I am unclear as to the warranty on these used replacements, but I think it is one year/12K miles but could be wrong.

There have been instances reported here that at times there are not used batteries available for this, so service will get a brand new 100kWh battery that has a module (maybe two) removed to sell to those who have had their battery die. I recall these new batteries cost around $20K with the 4-year/50K mile warranty. These newer batteries are at 350V whereas the original batteries were 400V.

Did Tesla make this offer to accumulate inventory of used batteries to then refurbish and resell to those who have their original batteries poop out?

Just my personal opinion: If Tesla is having difficulties selling Model S, why not sell the battery instead? I like my 2014. Rated range is around 245-250 down from 266 when new. I care less about increasing the range to (reportedly) 280 with these new 350V batteries than getting decent Supercharging speeds with a more gradual taper. Thirty to thirty-five minute charging sessions to go from 35 miles of range to 150 miles of range would be reduced to around 15 minutes.

Did Tesla make this offer to accumulate inventory of used batteries to then refurbish and resell to those who have their original batteries poop out?
Nope. The current offer to transfer FSD to a new car does not require you to trade in your old car. And to my knowledge previous offers did not require trade-in either. Tesla doesn't care what you do with the old car, as far as I can tell. In fact you can buy FSD for it again apparently, after "transferring" it to the new car.
details here:

Nope. The current offer to transfer FSD to a new car does not require you to trade in your old car. And to my knowledge previous offers did not require trade-in either. Tesla doesn't care what you do with the old car, as far as I can tell. In fact you can buy FSD for it again apparently, after "transferring" it to the new car.
details here:
That was not what I wrote.

I was talking about free, unlimited Supercharging. FSD was not part of the package in 2014. The title of this thread is, "Will FUSC Transfer be back for Q2."

I was merely commenting that perhaps the motivation for letting us sell/trade in our old cars for a new car and to transfer the FUSC was to amass some inventory of used replacement batteries.

I was merely commenting that perhaps the motivation for letting us sell/trade in our old cars for a new car and to transfer the FUSC was to amass some inventory of used replacement batteries.
I know what you meant. Regardless of the (current) offer on FSD or the (previous) offers on FUSC transfers, there was never (to my knowledge) a requirement to trade in your car. Therefore they aren't making this offer to accumulate/amass inventory of used batteries. If they don't care what you do with your old car, then this can't possibly be their motivation. If they wanted your old battery, then they would require you trade in your old car to get the transfer offer (be it FSD or FUSC).

I know what you meant. Regardless of the (current) offer on FSD or the (previous) offers on FUSC transfers, there was never (to my knowledge) a requirement to trade in your car. Therefore they aren't making this offer to accumulate/amass inventory of used batteries. If they don't care what you do with your old car, then this can't possibly be their motivation. If they wanted your old battery, then they would require you trade in your old car to get the transfer offer (be it FSD or FUSC).
Yeah, from my conversations with their reps, I got the impression that they'd rather not get the trade-in. Trade-in numbers seemed ridiculously low. I think it's just an end-of-quarter inventory reduction scheme. Which I'd be more than happy to take them up on, given the chance.