Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I "erase" my first set of tires quickly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesnt have proper oem tires they just use the standard ones with foam inside.
Tesla absolutely uses Tesla specific tires on their performance models. The MPS4s have "TO" (Tesla OEM) on them.

1624037669669.png

yes but you can buy these with any car they are just the T0 variant which have got foam inside and a little bit more expensive.
What data do you have that the compound and carcass is exactly the same?
A Tesla OEM tire could have unknown tweaks that you can't see just from looking at it. Other car makers do this- It's a Pilot Super Sport on a 2014 Corvette, but it's not the same compound as all super sports.
By your definition, what is a "Proper OEM tire" that other manufacturers use unlike Tesla?

Reactions: OUengineer
What data do you have that the compound and carcass is exactly the same?
A Tesla OEM tire could have unknown tweaks that you can't see just from looking at it. Other car makers do this- It's a Pilot Super Sport on a 2014 Corvette, but it's not the same compound as all super sports.
By your definition, what is a "Proper OEM tire" that other manufacturers use unlike Tesla?
Yeah, they could be exactly the same with a foam insert or completely different. The PS4S on the new M3, for instance, uses 4 different types of rubber instead of 2 and is tuned for maximum dry grip at the expense of wet grip. But it's also an extreme example.

For me, tires are a wear item and I plan to replace often with the way I drive and how I set up the alignment. In general, I get about half the rated mileage and I'm happy with that. But I also replace pretty early as well since I don't like to drive high performance all seasons in winter when under half tread.

Reactions: gearchruncher
yes but you can buy these with any car they are just the T0 variant which have got foam inside and a little bit more expensive. otherwise they are exactly the same tire as a normal PS.
Common misconception. The T0 is not just the same 235/35 PS4S with foam added. If you look at tireracks specs. The T0 is actually wider than the regular version. What else is different I guess only Michelin knows, but I doubt adding foam will make the tread width 8.8” vs 8.5”

I’ve got about 20k miles on my staggered set of T0 ps4s….and still have some tread life left.

Reactions: gearchruncher
The Elliot Scheiner audio system introduced me to 5.1 lossless audio.
The SR+ sound system leaves a lot to be desired. The only way to get lossless into your car right now is via USB

Replaced timing belt (and water pump) at 110k.
OT: My last car was a 2013 Ford Taurus (not a bad car, but certainly not sporty). The V6 in it had a REALLY stupid design flaw: the water pump was in the middle of the engine. To change this $100 part, you had to spend well north of $1,000 to have the engine pulled and the block split.

Reactions: hcdavis3