Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I regret buting a 75d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alphainfinity

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2019
Kalispell
My first Tesla purchase. Looking at the Model x 75d. The price point seems a lot better than the 90d and long range. The higher capacity models are as much used as a brand new model x.

I am a little worried about range on the 75d though. I live in northwest Montana. Lots of hills and I like to listen to the stereo and be comfortable when it is hot or cold outside. Is the rated 237 miles real world mileage in my climate and altitude of 3000+ feet?

I noticed that there are quite a few very low mileage 75d’s for sale. Are these folks walking away because of range?

I think depends on your use. Usually only charge to 90% so that gives 214 when car new. Batteries degrade a little each year too.
Cold definitely decrease range especially heater. Air less noticeable. If you usual use is 50-75 miles a day, 75 fine. If you use for long trips, bigger batteries better. In southern California , I see lots of 75d
Superchargers everywhere. Not sure about Montana.

After having a 90DX loaner to use while my 100DS was in the shop to get home from North Carolina to Pennsylvania then daily commute and return back to North Carolina I would never buy a 75D.

The range was awful and required way more supercharger stops than my S with only 10kWh more pack. I can’t imagine the hills and on top of that winter use of the heater in a smaller battery X. To me I’d regard the 75D X like a 60kWh S. Find a 90 at an absolute minimum. If you can grab a 100 I would.

Reactions: Big Earl
If you were in S. CA I’d say go for it. The killer will be winter driving. Expect 30-40% range reduction for the really cold days.

As an example here in rather moderate Seattle climate the usage on my S is ~300wh/mi versus in the winter where in can climb up to 500wh/mi

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
My first Tesla purchase. Looking at the Model x 75d. The price point seems a lot better than the 90d and long range. The higher capacity models are as much used as a brand new model x.

I am a little worried about range on the 75d though. I live in northwest Montana. Lots of hills and I like to listen to the stereo and be comfortable when it is hot or cold outside. Is the rated 237 miles real world mileage in my climate and altitude of 3000+ feet?

I noticed that there are quite a few very low mileage 75d’s for sale. Are these folks walking away because of range?

Living in a colder climate, like Montana, will result in lower than advertised ranges. Keep that in mind as you ponder what to purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
90 has essentially the SAME real world range as 75. I had a 90D loaner when our 75 was in the shop, noticed about only 5% real extra range.

The 100 is a the best by far though.
Unless you are comparing a S75 to an X90 there was something wrong because a 90 has much more range over a 75 battery in the same car. We have owned a 75, 90 and 100 at the same time and the 90 battery is fine. In fact a regular 90 and Performance 100’s are not much different in range.

Unless you are comparing a S75 to an X90 there was something wrong because a 90 has much more range over a 75 battery in the same car.

Depends on how much you define as 'much more'.

On the 90D loaner I had the max 100-0% kWh I could pull out was 78kWh.

36848634565_cdc2b51a72_z_d.jpg

Our 75D X same miles pulled just under 70kWh.

27338364569_fdc0696460_z_d.jpg

So total difference in useable kWh is about 9kWh. Say you average 3 miles per kWh in the X thats 27 miles more range, if you average 2 miles per kWh thats only 18 miles more range. For me thats not really that much more range, especially as we hardly ever run the car below 10% or charge to over 80%.

The 100D loaner I had was a totally different story, that pack had over 90kWh usable as reported by the car, even at 20k.

Am not sure used prices are like between 75/90/100 Xs, but if your worried about range its a no brainer to miss out both the 75/90 and jump for the 100.

90 has essentially the SAME real world range as 75. I had a 90D loaner when our 75 was in the shop, noticed about only 5% real extra range.
The 100 is a the best by far though.

The Tesla 90 battery has 14.45% more actual capacity above the 75 battery, IMO that is not the "SAME". That translates into more real world range. On a trip it’s great to roll into a Supercharger with an extra 14-15%, around town it doesn’t matter much because few people rack up 250 miles in a day. The Supercharging stations are usually spaced out to be able to road trip even with 75 cars but the 90 extra range gives a nice comfort cushion. Someone on a limited budget may not have the extra money to buy a 100 battery car, the X90D is a bargain on the used market and available with free Supercharging plus bulletproof AP1.

All,

Thank you for the very informative replies! We hear you and we are going to take your advice and shoot for a MX100D! Here is my problem. The current NEW MX Long Range is approximately 85k brand new. Subtract the 1875 tax credit and that brings it to right above 83. When I look at the used market, specifically the Tesla used site, they are trying to sell 2 year old MX100D's for 79-85k. These are all at least two years old and have 20+ thousand miles on them!

There is no way we are paying 79-85k for a used MX when the new ones are selling in the same ballpark. WHEN is the market adjustment going to happen? This is ludicrous!(sorry for the pun)
Ludicrous.jpg

All,

Thank you for the very informative replies! We hear you and we are going to take your advice and shoot for a MX100D! Here is my problem. The current NEW MX Long Range is approximately 85k brand new. Subtract the 1875 tax credit and that brings it to right above 83. When I look at the used market, specifically the Tesla used site, they are trying to sell 2 year old MX100D's for 79-85k. These are all at least two years old and have 20+ thousand miles on them!

There is no way we are paying 79-85k for a used MX when the new ones are selling in the same ballpark. WHEN is the market adjustment going to happen? This is ludicrous!(sorry for the pun)View attachment 435696

If you can swing it, just buy the new one?

Reactions: gangzoom
If you can swing it, just buy the new one?
Assuming we don't discount the recent price changes by Tesla that have absolutely screwed current owners, I generally don't like to buy brand new cars. The 20% depreciation in the 1st year model applies to even cars like this. I would rather buy a slightly used model. I finance less, insurance costs less and I don't have as much negative equity in the vehicle if we decide to trade at a later date.

Assuming we don't discount the recent price changes by Tesla that have absolutely screwed current owners, I generally don't like to buy brand new cars. The 20% depreciation in the 1st year model applies to even cars like this. I would rather buy a slightly used model. I finance less, insurance costs less and I don't have as much negative equity in the vehicle if we decide to trade at a later date.

I understand that logic, when the two year old car equivalent price isn't nearly the same as a new car. If it were 30% less, sure, but it isn't.