Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 & Chevy Bolt Be The 1-2 Punch That Kills Fuel Cell Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may dismiss Nissan as biased because of the Leaf, but Daimler's CEO also says the same thing. And Daimler had been taking a two prong approach to hydrogen and EVs, giving equal weight to both.
Daimler chief sees electric cars beating hydrogen, for now

It is simply a fact that electric cars make more sense than hydrogen and that hydrogen infrastructure is a massive waste of money right now.

Daimler quote. "For now" I don't think it is a state secret that ev have a lead and an advantage "for now"

At some point ev charging was also viewed as a waste of money "right now" since we have plenty of gas stations

And at some point gas stations were viewed as a massive waste of money "right now" since horses didn't need gas and not that many cars were sold.

Totally off topic, but there are what? 120,000 short range EVs in the US without a DCFC infrastructure in the middle states? Europe is packed full with short range EVs as is China and Japan.

Who the hell bought them?

They certainly sold Teslas before there were many superchargers, and some cars came with no supercharging ability.

Who bought those?

Because 0 down/$199 month is ok for a short range, city car. I have one, we love it. Great for carrying dogs around and going to work.

$7000 down/$1000 month is not ok for a short range, city car.

Reactions: GSP
Daimler quote. "For now" I don't think it is a state secret that ev have a lead and an advantage "for now"

At some point ev charging was also viewed as a waste of money "right now" since we have plenty of gas stations

And at some point gas stations were viewed as a massive waste of money "right now" since horses didn't need gas and not that many cars were sold.

Gas was originally sold by drug stores as a side business. Kind of like EVSE's sitting outside Walgreens.

The end for hydrogen AND gasoline cars will be when battery EVs can be recharged in the same or less time than filling a gas tank *and* when gas stations start converting to battery charging stations.

Getting to those sorts of charge times is going to be very difficult. Rechargeable batteries have a chemical process that needs to go on to charge. The faster you try to charge, the more heat you produce and the higher the risk of a very fast release of energy, called an explosion.

What will more likely happen is the range of batteries will get better and better to a point that the average driver can get an entire day's driving on a road trip on one charge and overnight destination charging at hotels will be the focus.

We need more rail lines. Electric trains with pantographs.

Major highways with special lanes with overhead power lines. Trucks with pantographs.

Autonomous shipping vehicles that pick the most efficient routes.

3d printing and other tech that reduces the need to ship so much crap.

The US already has the most built out rail network in the world. More electrified rail is a possibility.

We are moving to a more and more virtual society. Millennials tend to be poorer than Gen X and Boomers were at their age, but they also show a lot less interest in collecting stuff than previous generations. Ordering online has also reduced the number of trips people are making to shop and it is more efficient to order online and have it delivered than each person drive to the mall.

We will probably see a continued decline in retail shopping.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Millennials tend to be poorer than Gen X and Boomers were at their age, but they also show a lot less interest in collecting stuff than previous generations..
I hypothesize a causative association.

My two children are recent college grads and new to work. Neither felt the pain of unemployment but they both know they were lucky, and they are surrounded by friends that are a mixture of poor, in debt, or unemployed. My daughter took the message to heart that good fortune is not guaranteed and is already stuffing her retirement account; my son lives for today.

They are a microcosm of my observation that economic depression and deep recessions tend to polarize the next generation.

Some people have more vision to think just beyond the "foreseeable future"

15 years ago ev were not seen as ridiculous due to low mileage and long range driving problems.

You keep talking... and yet you haven't come up with any actual reasons why hydrogen fuel cell is a worthy endeavor to spend a few million or billion taxpayer dollars on... so how about it? Why should we use hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, what carbon emissions would come from it, how much would it cost to implement, and so forth?

BEVs deserve support for widespread adoption because it is within the foreseeable future. No one I know is against hydrogen fuel cell research such that one day, practical widespread adoption could be in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: GSP and Patrick0101
As far as I can tell, there are a total of 12 H2 stations in current operation in all of the US combined. Most have been abandoned.

Time to call the plumber, it's circling the drain ... (stolen from wifey's TV show)

Number of EV refueling stations is the number houses and businesses with 120v or 240v electricity, and all the remote chargers.

People keep screaming INFRASTRUCTURE, and while I do agree remote EV refueling needs more attention, it's at about 10,000,000 times better than Hydrogen availability is right now.

Why California is handing out $5000 a car for FCEVs is suspicious since the Fed stopped their credits. California has the best state government that money can buy.

Reactions: GSP
It was already taking steady punches from all directions, and the Bolt and Model 3 will indeed knock out fuel cell cars.

Batteries have improved far faster than anticipated and HFCV dependency on public refueling makes it an all-or-nothing technology. I don't want work on HFCV to stop, I just want it to go back to the lab where it should be remain until the costs drop enough to make it worth considering.

The difference is cars provided a revolutionary advantage over horses and EVs provide a revolutionary advantage over ICE vehicles. Thus there was a justification for waiting. The only thing hydrogen provides is faster refueling, and to provide that, it requires ridiculously expensive infrastructure and fuel (and multiple times lower efficiency if using electrolysis based hydrogen).

Given that, hydrogen deserves to be put on the back burner, rather than holding back on EV development to wait for it (as Toyota keeps suggesting). If Toyota feels like throwing their own money into building infrastructure, rather than having our government do it, that is fine by me, but obviously that is not happening.

Reactions: GSP and Patrick0101
I'm not gonna be so quick to kiss hydrogen fuel cells goodbye.
Although I might be tempted to kiss hydrogen fuel cells *for automobiles* goodbye.

There will be several cases where the range required for the mission may exceed the range of the battery pack, and that is unacceptable.

Commercial tractor-trailer trucks of today have a limit of something like 80,000 lbs maximum that are allowable on the highways, so building a EV truck to replace the popular diesel tractor-trailer rig of today will require a battery that will lug an 80,000 lb vehicle+payload at freeway speeds, up hills, in the wintertime. Its gonna be hard to replace -- if you are thinking of a direct replacement. So, think Tesla-style. Unless Amazon can make a *really big* delivery drone, Tesla can (and probably will) make a Model TT (Tractor-Trailer) to replace the ubiquitous 18-wheeler on the highways. It would probably take the form of an automatic driving machine that would have considerably less range, but can drive itself to charging stations and recharge itself. So it won't matter if it has to make a bunch of stops - nobody's in the cab to complain. Coast-to-coast may take a bit longer, but without the cost of a driver, the cost of diesel fuel, and the cost of truck engine maintenance, the economics will make it happen.

Without a driver, the truck can be moving or recharging 24 hours a day, so cargo will likely move further per day, even if the truck needs to make many stops to recharge.

Aircraft, however, cannot make a bunch of stops if they fly from Los Angeles to Tokyo, with or without pilots up front.
Solar panels to power you as you go? "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, there will be a slight 9 hour delay as we wait for the sun to come up..."
Batteries? Too heavy. The operators don't like it when they are heavy with batteries -- it cuts down on the revenue-generating payload, er, passengers.
So an electric airplane will need some other kind of renewable fuel that can be a more concentrated form than batteries.
The fuel cell comes to mind. Before you start squeaking about hydrogen and aircraft not having a good history, I imagine that something like some other hydrogen-bearing fuel might be used to power a fuel cell. Yes, there will be among you that claim that it will be "inefficient" to use solar energy to hydrolyze water to release the hydrogen, and more "inefficient" when the hydrogen is combined with some kind of carrier to allow hydrogen to take a liquid form (alcohol! booze!). Then the range issue is solved. Not as efficient as solar-to-batteries-to-motor, but sustainable.

Electric aircraft are not a good application of battery technology. With aircraft weight is factored into everything. With liquid fuels, the plane gets lighter the further it goes, batteries don't get any lighter as they discharge. Just lugging the extra weight reduces range, even if batteries had the same energy density.

The density of some fuels (in KWh/Gal space):
Hydrogen (compressed at 700 bar) -5.9
Diesel / Fuel oil-37.9
Jet fuel (Kerosene)-39.6
Gasoline (petrol)-36.2
Ethanol fuel (E100)-22.2
Methanol fuel (M100)-16.5
Lithium-ion battery-0.95

As you can see, yes highly compressed H2 is 6X the energy density of Li-Ion batteries, but it is way behind all liquid fuels. Hydrogen has major storage problems (it leaks out of any container, no matter how stout), it has to be kept are extremely low temperatures or under fairly high pressure, and an entire infrastructure has to be built for it that is far more expensive that liquid fuel infrastructure.

Aircraft will probably be the last area where petroleum is used. The energy density of the fuel is so critical to range that even ethanol cuts the range in half.

Oceangoing ships are problematic. The supercargo ships carry hundreds of thousands of tons of stuff halfway around the globe before stopping for gas. Water as far as the eye can see, and no superchargers in sight. But there's lots of area for solar panels, and lots of water to make hydrogen for a fuel cell so it can keep on sailing at night, cloudy days, or through storms.

With ships topside weight is a critical factor. Plastering solar panels across the top of a ship would make it top heavy and potentially unstable in rough seas. Plus it takes a tremendous amount of electricity to run hydrolysis of water. If someone was going to go to the trouble of mounting all those solar cells it would be much more efficient to have the power run electric motors directly.

Since the 1970s there have been some ideas floated about to bring back sailing ships, but this time with the sails controlled by computers and backed up with some kind of powered engine. Nobody has done it though, all the extra complexity with the sails and management systems probably isn't worth the gain.

Finally, the military is making stuff that uses LOTS of electrical power. More than what batteries of today can provide. The US Navy is just now doing sea trials for a railgun on one of their (our?) destroyers, but it wants something like 80 megawatts to operate it. Electric tanks are on the drawing board. Electric Humvees are on the horizon. They aren't waiting for battery technology to catch up to their needs -- they want power, and they want a lot of it, and they want it now. Fuel cells to the rescue. Or maybe you wouldn't mind a thorium reactor under your seat.

The military has already done some weird things. The armor on the Abrams tank is made of uranium. It's spent uranium which isn't glow in the dark radioactive, but it is still radioactive.

So I wouldn't count fuel cells out. For cars, we can use batteries in most situations. But I believe the fuel cell does have a place in the future.

-- Ardie
But I'm quite happy with a battery powered car.

Fuel cells are useful for some specialty uses like the space shuttle used some and the crew drank the "exhaust". For a mass market product, it's a horrible idea when you start looking at the numbers. Scroll down the the graphic about 20% down:
Why Hydrogen Cars are Less Efficient Than Electrics - The Green Optimistic

If you start with 100 KWh of energy, the graphic says a renewable source, but it can be any source, then go through the steps to get it into a vehicle and on the road, with hydrogen you only get 19-23 KWh of usable energy in the car where with an electric car you get 69 KWh.

And to get this car fuel that is 1/3 as efficient as BEVs into the hands of consumers, you need to spend billions building very expensive fueling stations in close to the same density as gas stations all over the world and build out a parallel distribution network to gasoline. On the other hand, BEVs have fuel anywhere there is a power outlet. Without fast chargers it's slow, but its there. If your hydrogen car runs out of fuel and there are no stations nearby, you are in for a long ride in a tow truck. If your BEV runs out of fuel, there are few places where you're not going to find at least a 110V outlet.

There are some limited uses for fuel cells, but mass market vehicles is not one of them.

Totally off topic, but there are what? 120,000 short range EVs in the US without a DCFC infrastructure in the middle states? Europe is packed full with short range EVs as is China and Japan.

Who the hell bought them?

They certainly sold Teslas before there were many superchargers, and some cars came with no supercharging ability.

Who bought those?
People like me who needed a second car immediately and didn't care about range since it was just a second car, or people who just don't drive very far. Given a choice I would not have purchased the Leaf, but there wasn't a choice because size mattered (not too big was a requirement). Europe and Asia have far better public transportation than North America so car usage is different and can't really be compared.

Short range EVs are really '70s thinking when there was no possibility of a longer range.

The reaction to convert hydrogen and carbon dioxide to methane is actually exothermic, so there are no conversion losses (beyond what is already lost to make hydrogen from electricity).

But that's a lot. 4X or 5X. For every 100 km in an HFCEV you could go 400 or 500 km in a BEV. And then there's the "Don't use after date" sticker on the car. Older HFCEVs will be a serious safety problem.

But that's a lot. 4X or 5X. For every 100 km in an HFCEV you could go 400 or 500 km in a BEV. And then there's the "Don't use after date" sticker on the car. Older HFCEVs will be a serious safety problem.
I understand all that, but my comment was in the context of comparing LNG/CNG vs hydrogen for long haul trucking. I'm just saying LNG/CNG can use renewable sources at the same efficiency as hydrogen. I'm not making a comment on comparing to batteries.