Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 SR be a "true" 5.6 seconds 0-60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know that Tesla has a way of sandbagging the performance of their cars. Do you think the SR will be a true 5.6s 0-60 to help make the LR that much more tempting since the LR seems to do a realistic 4.7s?
It doesn't matter much. With an already outdated max range of 220 miles -- and more realistic range in the 160s-180s -- SR owners need to forget performance and conserve electrons. Buy one of these for your 90 year old grandma and get an LR for yourself.

It doesn't matter much. With an already outdated max range of 220 miles -- and more realistic range in the 160s-180s -- SR owners need to forget performance and conserve electrons. Buy one of these for your 90 year old grandma and get an LR for yourself.

Sorry, that's absolutely BS!
How long does it take you to go 220 mile Monday thru Friday? For the majority of people, than answer is "the entire week"
Not every car needs really long range. Not ever ICE car has really long range either. Lots of people have two cars, the travelling car and the commuter car. The commuter car is often the one that travels the most, the one that you spend the most time in.

But even at 220 miles, that doesn't exclude long trips. You know, that's a very few miles shorter than the 75 X (237)?

I've got a 2018 Leaf that only has 150 miles, it can do long trips.
I upgraded from a 2015 Leaf with 88 miles, that car carried me all around town many times.

It is attitudes like this that keep the EV adoption rates low.

yeah I expect the RWD SR model 3 to have a 5.6 0-60.
Tesla seems to be carefully protecting it's higher speced models by sand bagging the performance of the cheaper models. I think that will continue to be true for the standard range and thats the number tesla is quoting so I'm inclined to believe them.
It seems like the only way to get a Tesla with no performance limiters is to get a performance model.
For example, I've seen reports of people mounting light weight staggered 20" rims on a P3D and getting faster 0-60 times, someone else did the same thing on a RWD LR and got the exact same 0-60 times.

• Informative
Reactions: Crispix
yeah I expect the RWD SR model 3 to have a 5.6 0-60.
Tesla seems to be carefully protecting it's higher speced models by sand bagging the performance of the cheaper models.

That doesn't seem to be the case

Without rollout the P3 is putting down Teslas listed numbers. As is the AWD and the RWD.

All the "better" numbers I've seen have been using vboxes, which reduce times at least .2-.3 seconds by not counting rollout.

For example, I've seen reports of people mounting light weight staggered 20" rims on a P3D and getting faster 0-60 times

Where?

The only one I've seen he got a time 0.02 seconds faster- which is basically a rounding error, not a statistically significant performance improvement.

By "sand bagging" I didn't mean Tesla's cars weren't hitting their advertised numbers, I meant that the hardware the lower speced cars come with seems like it could be capable of more, the awd being I believe an example of this.

You're right about the improvement from the staggered wheels. I'd seen the headlines generated by DArick's video, but actually watching the whole thing, yeah not as impressive an improvement. Though the times he is getting from a stock car are kinda nuts.
I'd also seen a video where the Tech Forum guy did a similar mod on a RWD model 3 and saw no 0-60 improvement.

By "sand bagging" I didn't mean Tesla's cars weren't hitting their advertised numbers, I meant that the hardware the lower speced cars come with seems like it could be capable of more, the awd being I believe an example of this.

This is spot on. I'll go a step further and speculate that even the P3D is nerfed a bit. It would not surprise me to learn that it could go faster with existing hardware, too. Tesla is being very careful with its 0-60 times and making sure Model S Ludicrous is the premium of premiums.

Tesla is being very careful with its 0-60 times and making sure Model S Ludicrous is the premium of premiums.

Flame suit on -

I wish they could move on from that now, the big Teslas are pretty quick and it can easily make sense that the lighter (chuckle cause it's still pretty hefty) Model 3 P++whatever could be the fastest kid on the block.. I don't see a Model S getting track mode as example since it seems to me to be the high speed luxury intercontinental cruiser vs the potentially high strung hooligan the 3 can be...

- Flame suit off

:)

Reactions: SigNC