Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model S have same unlock/start features as Model 3 via Tesla App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy! Purchased my mother a model 3 and looking at an S myself since m in the process of a lemon currently.

Love that I can use my app to get into and drive my moms car. With the test drive in the S I noticed I needed a little mini S car fob to summon and drive.

The phone was ideal because I live in an apt with tandem parking and that is one annoyance for my roommate and I. It’d be easy to just use our phone. Can model S do this, or maybe future proof? Thanks!

ok, but for example does my roommate need the little car fob. Or can he use his iphone to simply walk up to the car if it's been paired and open door/start engine as does the Model 3. Just curious if the same features apply on the S or if the physical fob is needed too.

Thanks!!!

It’s not automatic. You have to open the app the choose “unlock” and “start”.
Especially important to note is that it is not a direct phone-car connection. It is via the internet. This means that if you have no internet (underground, remote location) the phone won’t connect to the car.
Some people have used the phone to start the car, then driven to the desert, then found they couldn’t restart the car !

upload_2018-6-20_14-9-3.jpeg