Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model Y finally get a heat pump???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the heat pump has to be part of the range boost. 3kW of heater use reduction is equivalent to 50 Wh/mile at 60 MPH, which is ~20% of the Model 3 usage. That would cover a chunk of additional aerodynamic area. However, that only applies to the cold part of the test Detailed Test Information

They may also have even better tire compounds for range along with general motor control and electrical architecture improvement.
"EPA has established testing criteria for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids that are slightly different than those for conventional vehicles."

So it looks like the Y has one of the more complex versions of the heat pump system called out in the patent.

Elon Tweeted that it has the octavalve.
Twitter
It looks like a double layer valve spool with dual level ports that allows for 4 positions/ modes.
SmartSelect_20200323-214821_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

These setups do run like a classic heat pump by pulling heat from ambient via the radiator in addition to scavenging from the drivetrain.
SmartSelect_20200323-214810_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Atari2600
I assume if it gets really cold outside the system can use the rear drive unit to make heat which the heat pump can use for the cabin. Again, this would be for really cold situations where a heat pump cannot work without some help.

My parents have a new heat pump with two speed compressor. This new house setup runs the compressor at low speed 30% setting and keeps the house within .5 degrees F at 14 F outside. It has got down to 0 F here and finally the full compressor mode kicked in and the resistance heat was never needed. This is a 4,000 sq ft house. So the tech is getting a lot better.

My home heat pump is in resistance heat if it's 30 F outside. :(

I assume if it gets really cold outside the system can use the rear drive unit to make heat which the heat pump can use for the cabin. Again, this would be for really cold situations where a heat pump cannot work without some help.

Yeah, super worst case, it could add in the drive unit heat generation, but I'm guessing they sized the compressor waste heat generation to handle things on its own. Per the patent, it is capable of boiling the refrigerant via stator and electronics heat before running it through the scroll portion of the compressor..

Yeah, super worst case, it could add in the drive unit heat generation, but I'm guessing they sized the compressor waste heat generation to handle things on its own. Per the patent, it is capable of boiling the refrigerant via stator and electronics heat before running it through the scroll portion of the compressor..
If I understand correctly, the MY still has resistive heating, but doesn't use it unless the heat pump can't do enough.

If I understand correctly, the MY still has resistive heating, but doesn't use it unless the heat pump can't do enough.

Right, and the resistive heaters take a new form:
It does not have a high voltage PTC heater like the X, S, and 3.
It uses the HV windings in the compressor as a resistive heater.
It can also use (based on the patent) the compressor electronics themselves to make heat.
It has dual low voltage resistive heated in the cabin for supplemental heat and driver/ passenger differential temperature.
It can use the HVAC blower windings as a low voltage resistive heater.

So the only purely resistive heaters are the two LV ones, everything else is components doing double duty.

Right, and the resistive heaters take a new form:
It does not have a high voltage PTC heater like the X, S, and 3.
It uses the HV windings in the compressor as a resistive heater.
It can also use (based on the patent) the compressor electronics themselves to make heat.
It has dual low voltage resistive heated in the cabin for supplemental heat and driver/ passenger differential temperature.
It can use the HVAC blower windings as a low voltage resistive heater.

So the only purely resistive heaters are the two LV ones, everything else is components doing double duty.
Clever. Thanks for the details.

I have a background in temperature control systems and I just finished reviewing the entire patent. This is a very substantial piece of engineering. Think of the heat pump itself like the circulatory heart of the system that can move energy as need from and between different systems as needed. The temperature control systems include:

Heat pump/compressor
Cabin condenser
Cabin evaporator
Battery system
Drivetrain/motor oil
Drive inverter
Computer control electronics
Radiator

The patent breaks this down into more detail but those are the major systems capable of being temperature controlled. There is also a low voltage electric cabin heater that could be used as needed for extreme cold or when no initial energy is available. The system can pull energy from an amazing amount of systems and distribute as needed very efficiently.

Looks like battery heating/temp control as well as cabin temp control is called out. Again, this is very advanced engineering that has totally been designed/optimized for electric vehicles. Not much similarity to residential heat pump systems. Very impressive!

Went through my first winter last year with my 2020 Y and was amazed at the efficiency and speed with which this system generated heat. Within a minute of starting the car on a COLD day (single digits) I could feel warm air coming from the vents. I pretty much left my HVAC settings alone - AUTO @ 72 degrees. The only time I needed to crank in more heat was when I drove in temps below ZERO degrees to test the system. Tesla’s Heat Pump and OctoValve are game changers.