Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will not charge past 50 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did get the alert code bms_u018. My charging returned to normal. I have kept an eye on the battery pack and everything is fine so far so the BMS must have rebalanced the battery pack.
Ok good to know, I'll try to reach out to the SC to see if they will look at the BMS like as well before my appointment. I spoke to a couple reps outside of Tesla (such as Electrified Garage and Gruber Motors), and they mentioned that this errors seems to appear most for gen 1 Model S right after the most recent software update. Apparently there's something detected for gen 1's due to higher usage of free supercharging. This only grabbed my attention because I did use the supercharger more frequent this past month because I didn't have access to charging at home. I feel this month of supercharger may have caused some issues with the pack, but hopefully it's a similar case as yours with an imbalanced BMS. My pack and drive unit was replaced the first month purchased which was odd but I felt I had a refresh car at that point. It's been 2 years 70k+ miles with a total 150k miles. I just didn't think something like this would occur at this time. But as mentioned hopefully, not a battery pack replacement. This seems to be the main thing that stands out to not keep a Tesla out of warranty. Cost needs to come down for replacing the main components.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
I did get the alert code bms_u018. My charging returned to normal. I have kept an eye on the battery pack and everything is fine so far so the BMS must have rebalanced the battery pack.
Ok good to know, I'll try to reach out to the SC to see if they will look at the BMS like as well before my appointment. I spoke to a couple reps outside of Tesla (such as Electrified Garage and Gruber Motors), and they mentioned that this errors seems to appear most for gen 1 Model S right after the most recent software update. Apparently there's something detected for gen 1's due to higher usage of free supercharging. This only grabbed my attention because I did use the supercharger more frequent this past month because I didn't have access to charging at home. I feel this month of supercharger may have caused some issues with the pack, but hopefully it's a similar case as yours with an imbalanced BMS. My pack and drive unit was replaced the first month purchased which was odd but I felt I had a refresh car at that point. It's been 2 years 70k+ miles with a total 150k miles. I just didn't think something like this would occur at this time. But as mentioned hopefully, not a battery pack replacement. This seems to be the main thing that stands out to not keep a Tesla out of warranty. Cost needs to come down for replacing the main components.

Today I had an alert stating " Maximum battery charge level reduced". I tried charging at home at it wouldn't charge past 50 miles. When I tried to navigate to a supercharger it displayed "No charging locations found". There are 8 supercharger locations within 10 miles. I went to the closest supercharger and the same issue, will not charge past 50 miles so that eliminates the onboard charger. I tried to schedule an appointment with the service center through the app and the "next" button would not high light to allow scheduling.
You updated your cars firmware and that's what happened to me as well tesla will say hay you need a new battery but that's a lie they are doing this with software. If you don't have the 20k just wait it will fix soon as they update to a new version and don't charge pass 80%

Just ordered a S LR for delivery later this year. Noticing that the need to replace battery pack occurs on older models, does the battery pack “age” out irrespective of mileage as just over 100k is not high mileage when comparing to a modern ICE vehicle.

My s with an 85 kilowatt hour battery is past 250,000 mi on that original battery. It seems to be going strong. I just signed up for Jason hughes, wk057, warranty. My Tesla warranty ends December 1st. (He gives you a slight discount if you order well ahead of your warranty period.) I'll let you know what the data is that I get from them once the device from WK 057 is installed.