Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced - warranty about to expire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took you all's advice and left voicemails and texts Wednesday hoping to hear back from them that day. Then, today (when my original appointment was scheduled), I got a text that the HV battery has been ordered and the warranty will cover it. As GazMav said, I hit the jackpot. Thanks again for you all's input.
Good news. Thanks for the update. What will the warranty be for the replacement pack?

Good news. Thanks for the update. What will the warranty be for the replacement pack?
I don't know. The message I received said "Good Morning. Yes, you will still be covered. Please don't worry. We are waiting on your HV Battery to arrive." Questions I have now are 1) What will the warranty be for the replacement pack, 2) Will the replacement pack be exactly the same kwh as the original, 3) Would I be able to pay some out of my pocket for a range upgrade. Are there other questions I should ask? And again, I appreciate the advice of those who have more experience and knowledge than I do with regard to Teslas.

1) Only for the remainder of your 8 year warranty. But don't worry, the pack will likely be made to certain standards that should make it last for years.

2) Tesla only owes you a pack with the same capacity it had just before it failed, no more, no less.

3) No, unless you had a 60 or 75 pack that was software locked prior.

4) You could ask for an upgraded 100 KwH pack.
Maybe they will sell you one at a discount. It will have a 4 yr 50k mile warranty.

There is a chance you will get a pack with new cells, basically a 100 pack with two modules removed, 350 volt. Hoping the latter is true for you.

Good Luck!

As the OP has disappeared on the topic I guess I don’t understand the suggestion that he/she will get a new battery? They have 177k miles, how would that be a warranty replacement? Was battery warranty different in 2015 not including miles or years whichever come first back then? Curious.
Though also note that "new" is highly unlikely from what I've heard. Seems most likely they'll get whatever battery Tesla has lying around that might have only 70% capacity.

1) Only for the remainder of your 8 year warranty. But don't worry, the pack will likely be made to certain standards that should make it last for years.

2) Tesla only owes you a pack with the same capacity it had just before it failed, no more, no less.

3) No, unless you had a 60 or 75 pack that was software locked prior.

4) You could ask for an upgraded 100 KwH pack.
Maybe they will sell you one at a discount. It will have a 4 yr 50k mile warranty.

There is a chance you will get a pack with new cells, basically a 100 pack with two modules removed, 350 volt. Hoping the latter is true for you.

Good Luck!
So, @David71201 8 year warranty ends on 3 Dec 2023. In effect, replacement pack also ends then? At best a few days?

I believe they replace it with a refurbished pack. I'd imagine it would have more than 70% capacity but not certain. It won't be new though.
Yeah, you never know what you're going to get. Could be new but I haven't heard many of those lately. Did see someone order a new 90 pack and got a refurbished 70 instead. Or one whose car had maybe 150k miles but the pack they got had over 300k miles.
Don't think there's any real difference between used/refurbished. Pretty sure Tesla just runs a couple checks that it meets some minimum requirements. Some seem to be.400v packs where one cell failed so they remove modules to make it a 350v.

Also interesting to hear that if you have a 70 the cost for a refurbished is the same as if you have a 90 but you might only get the capacity of an aged 70. And one person got the option of like another$5k in upgrade charges to unlock the battery.

Reactions: dsm363
If it turns out that the battery pack does have to be replaced, am I naive to hope that Tesla will honor that warranty if they don't get to see it until Jan 1?
The language in the contract is tricky, "Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until the applicable warranty period of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty ends." The language says nothing about when the part became defective.

Or you can read it as, "Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until 12-3-2023."

So if the battery is replaced AFTER 12-3-2023 ... it could get tricky.

Get it in writing on the app (and screen save it) that the battery will be covered under warranty when it's replaced in 2024. Or try to find another dealer that will accept your vehicle before 12-3-2023.

Also in the contract: "The decision of whether to repair or replace a part or to use a new, reconditioned, or remanufactured part will be made by Tesla, in its sole discretion."

I've never seen anyone get a new battery pack under warranty so you'll most likely get a reconditioned or remanufactured pack with a warranty that expires on 12-3-2023. These packs have been known to go bad in a matter of months.

More than four reports of folks getting a new pack on TMC. Why? Probably expediency, lack of used or reman packs with capacity of the warrantied pack.

To deliberately replace a pack with one that has the range as required by warranty, yet soon to fail, is probably hard. My guess is most reman packs will be alike and meet warranty requirements of you purchased one, which is if I recall, 12 months.

I too suspect the OP will get a "new" 90 KW battery. I expect same will be software limited to what a new 85 KW battery would max out at.

on the off chance that they do have an older 85KW battery lying around (I am told these are all but exhausted as far as 1st party repalcement packs from Tesla goes, but hey.. you never know...) said battery will perform at least as well as OPs original battery at the time of failure.

unfortunately even the new battery will become out of warranty on December 3rd but there is a chance that they will "good will" any issues that may arrise with the new battery for at least a few months or upto a year (but this is more wishful thinking on my part than anything I know for sure.

In my case -- because I bought a 90 KW battery at full price -- it came with. a 48 month 48,000 mile wararny which I exoected. what was unexpected was that my battery is fully unlocked roughly 300 miles of rated range at 100%

I was also given a loaner while my battery was being replaced which anecdotally I have heard Is not always the case.

obviously I would have prefered that my battery be replaed under waranty so I wouldn't have to spend USD 18,500+Tax, but.. you win some, and you lose some.

my 85D has a sunroof which I am not willing to part with.. so I will keep it for as long as I can.

I do have a Rivian R1S reserved, but I think I will push delivery back until I can see what will happen with the charging standard mess we are in.

Reactions: aerodyne
I don't know. The message I received said "Good Morning. Yes, you will still be covered. Please don't worry. We are waiting on your HV Battery to arrive." Questions I have now are 1) What will the warranty be for the replacement pack, 2) Will the replacement pack be exactly the same kwh as the original, 3) Would I be able to pay some out of my pocket for a range upgrade. Are there other questions I should ask? And again, I appreciate the advice of those who have more experience and knowledge than I do with regard to Teslas.
Screenshot all correspondence between you and Tesla.

Reminder, you should not have to pay anything out of pocket for a warranty repair.

I presume you still have possession of your car? Take a picture of the battery label. The label is behind the passenger wheel and you need to turn the steering wheel all the way left to see it.
After you get the replacement battery pack installed, take a picture of that label too.

If I were you, I would think about buying ScanMyTesla app so you can see the stats of your battery, especially the most important one, battery capacity.

You've hit the jackpot really. Battery replacement just as warranty ends, perfect
Yes and no. The problem with a replacement that close to, or past, the warranty is that the replacement doesn't extend the warranty. So if he gets a dud refurb pack, which happens, and it fails in 2 weeks, he is screwed.

All model S/X were like this until early 2020.
Nope. The original Model S 60s had a 125k mile limit on the battery warranty. (But not the 70s, 75s, etc. I don't think the 60s that were software locked 70s/75s had the limited mileage on the battery warranty, only the actual 60kWh packs were limited.)

I think it is unlikely that the pack will fail in weeks or even months. If the old pack has decent capacity, they would have to match that. That would imply the new pack has decent health.

I'd get Recurrent or Tessie immediately to insure the new pack matches the capacity of the old pack. SMT is the best, but one can be obsessed by all the data therein.

I've seen multiple people report refurb packs dying shortly after they got them. The latest one was a Model 3, where the pack lasted just about a month before it failed and had to be replaced again. (But I have seen multiple people with Model Ss report similar things.)
But if they don't fail, not likely it will be reported.

If I had concerns, I get SMT. If I saw anything I did not like, I'd contact RECELL.