Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Ppf/clear Bra Void Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about voiding the warranty but did find this in the manual under Autopark/Using Summon (pg. 81):

"Warning: Summon is unable to operate as intended if the ultrasonic sensors are obstructed by a vehicle bra, excessive paint, or adhesive products (such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc.)."

Had not heard anyone mention this before. I don't use Summon so likely didn't read this section, but that's interesting.

On our cars that we had PPF installed on, our detailers cut out the area over the sensors BTW but don't know if others do.

On our cars that we had PPF installed on, our detailers cut out the area over the sensors BTW but don't know if others do.

I, specifically, requested that the sensors be cut out for the XPEL wrap. I gave the installer a picture of the sensors from the manual and did not wrap the b-pillars at all ( side camera facing forward).

I did have the door jams wrapped. It protects scratching the entry with shoes and grit as you enter and leave the car.

So it sounds like some people are cutting holes around the ultrasonic sensors and some are not (and they are reporting 0 problems). I started another thread regarding a vinyl wrap I have and seem to be having issues with auto lane changes and the Tesla service center told me they won't even look at it due to my wrap. So I'm thinking about cutting holes in my vinyl (even though it's going to look a little funny)

So I was looking around to see if xpel/suntek ppf wraps will have any affect on the sensors and I stumbled on this thread

Autopilot risk of PPF or ceramic wrap | Tesla

Someone on the thread says that the model 3 owner manual specifically says no clear bra/ppf or it will void warranty? I tried looking but can't find anywhere on the owner manual that says that.

Anyone have knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance.
Side note :
Hood emblem may not stick after it has been taken off to do the PPF. Mine fell off after 2 months . Best to buy a new one and not try and re use.

I have a full wrap, including on the sensors. If I had a service center tell me they are denying warranty coverage because of a wrap, I'd escalate then - if that went nowhere - file a complaint with the consumer protection agency in my state (which California has). You would be surprised how effective that process can be.

Of course, I'd look the other way about the whole thing if I could get that pat on the ass...

I took my Model 3 to be bra-wrapped and ceramic coated on delivery day, so before I really had a chance to get a feel for how it drove. I told this to the SA and jokingly asked him, "I guess Tesla will still take it back in the first week with that stuff on it if I decide I don't want it after all, right? He didn't laugh, and told me I'd have to get the wrap and coating removed before they'd take it back. FYI. (BTW, I kept the car.)

I took my Model 3 to be bra-wrapped and ceramic coated on delivery day, so before I really had a chance to get a feel for how it drove. I told this to the SA and jokingly asked him, "I guess Tesla will still take it back in the first week with that stuff on it if I decide I don't want it after all, right? He didn't laugh, and told me I'd have to get the wrap and coating removed before they'd take it back. FYI. (BTW, I kept the car.)

LOL they probably wouldn't even notice, if it was a good job hahah....