Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla accept 100K mileage Tesla for Trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just thinking out loud, if buy a Used Tesla directly form Tesla and just before the 2 years/100k extended warranty ends, if trading in the car with Tesla again, will Tesla resell it as used or just send it off to auction?

Just wonder out loud.

Look at the current used cars for sale at Tesla . See if any are at/over 100k miles. Report back.
I havent seen any in inventory exceeding 70+K on the clock but that doesnt mean it wont be accepted for a trade in as they offered to accept my BMW 5 series with 160K on the clock for trade, so just wondering what would potentially happen if it was one of their own.

I can't see any company taking a car to an auction only to buy it back. Why would you do that?

If Tesla wants to make a sale, they will take your car as a trade in even if they do not resell it themselves. They will likely just send your car to auction as brkaus said.

I think the confusion comes from Tesla using an auction house (cannot remember which one) to handle their used inventory. I would guess they pay a fee to that particular auction company for handling the internal cars and do not sell/buy back.

The ones that don't meet standards (damage, high mileage, etc) are sent out to other auctions. I know there are a few used car dealers in Texas that do a lot of used Tesla business that they purchase from Tesla.

As a side note - now, cars that Tesla takes as trade have FSD and unlimited supercharging removed before they are resold to customers or send to auction.

Having been in the car business before I can tell you that there is a stigma by buyers for cars with six figures on the odometer. This may stem back from a generation or two before when cars didn't even display six figures on the odo and simply rolled over. Dunno. It's similar to why cars are listed at $49,999 and not $50,000... that one dollar makes all the difference in terms of buyer psychology.

That being said, Tesla wants to disrupt the car industry and is building cars that (according to them) will last forever with minimal upkeep and maintenance during it's prolonged lifespan. You'd think they can disrupt further and help the sale of current new cars by showing that their used cars still have value and still offer fantastic life for many, many years to come by openly accepting them for trade and selling them. Of course their values on both trade/sell would reflect this higher mileage but I still feel that we're at a point in history where people start to realize that EVs built right can last forever and new cars stop taking so much of a depreciation hit since they last forever. People keep talking about how they're computers on wheels so they will depreciate like that but that's just the iPhone crowd that's been buying these new to this point. Once they start becoming affordable on the used market and they start going half a million miles and up consistently we'll see a slow move towards high-mile used EVs by people who are more frugal with the vehicle purchases. Once that happens cars like Teslas will have a reliability opinion that will make current Toyota and Honda brand recognition look like Land Rover in the years to come.

tldr: I don't think Tesla (or any car dealer for that matter) will put enough into a six digit mileage Tesla for trade-in to make it worth your time and you're better off selling it yourself privately. This advice applies to pretty much every car brand though so, from that standpoint at least, they're equal. One place all vehicle manufacturers can find equality... for now.