Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be Ready for 500,000 Model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe so but he does bring up some good points. Tesla is having service problems now. 2, 3,4, 5 months for service appt. ?
I am rooting for Tesla but one small Model 3 problem can become a massive recall to a company w/o the ability to handle it.
This is one of the reasons I believe why legacy CEO's have somewhat scoffed at Tesla taking over the car market

I completely agree re: potential problems if they don't up build quality.

But as far as the judgement of auto CEOs, didn't the big 3 US automakers take private jets to Washington DC to ask for a bailout? And then were a bit surprised when most of the US citizens thought that was a knumbskull idea? So the established auto CEOs' arrogance and judgement could be notched down a bit. And it was, with 375K EV reservations.... Funny how every major car co now has announced an EV product line and billions of dollars being invested in EV tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
"Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" alerts resolved by service center:

Upon diagnostic review, found power supply to forward facing camera DAS ECU, was correct, pin connectors were in tact. Need to replace DAS ECU.
Corrections: Camera - Forward Facing
Remove and replace forward facing camera, DAS ECU.
Part Quantity MONOCAM, REFLASHED (1038482-90-N) = 1
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Drive Cycle Calibration - Forward Facing Camera
Perform calibration for forward facing camera.

Essentially, the camera was replaced. In at 8 am and out at 10:30 am.

I'm kind of nervous since South Carolina doesn't have a sales nor service department. I'm hoping and praying that most of the bugs will get worked out before my Model 3 is ready. I do home health for a living, so I always need a vehicle. I don't have time to drive to North Carolina or Georgia to get my car fixed. I'm keeping my Honda Accord as a backup. Just in case:cool:

Unfortunately, they can.
Tesla can't even service its cars in Michigan
"Michigan is one of five US states – the others are Arizona, Texas, Connecticut, and West Virginia – that outright prohibits direct automaker-to-consumer vehicle sales. These states require a third-party dealership to sell new cars, and the dividing line extends to operating servicing centers as well."

Tesla has 2 service centers in AZ as well, so even though they can just have a Gallery here and not sell directly in the Gallery they can and do service the cars in AZ.

At some point Tesla is going to have to build more service centers. If they are in states that are not allowing that (cough VA, NC) then their only recourse is to sue. Assuming it takes a couple years to get the suit through the legal system, we still won't have a resolution in time for the Model 3.
It doesn't take long to do things that are not made artificially illegal. There are plenty of abandoned, vacant, unused car dealership lots across the country, thanks to the bankruptcy proceedings and downsizing that led to the shutdown of hundreds of Pontiac, Saturn, Plymouth, Mercury, Oldsmobile, and various other retail sales locations for cars and trucks. Electric cars can be serviced in bays erected in any number of sites at industrial parks with signs that read 'AVAILABLE FOR LEASE' all over the place. Warehouse space is cheap and easily acquired. And Tesla Stores can be dropped into just about any storefront that is 20' x 60' as easily as you can erect a weight loss clinic, mobile phone sales, or frozen yogurt stand at a local mall or shopping center. There is no shortage of places where Tesla can go to take care of their Customers, once allowed.

Commercial-for-lease-signs-in-orange-county.jpg

c1c260b41b8b4c30944eaaf7b79eee5f-683x386.jpg

commercial-garage-door-installation-garden-grove.jpg

commercial-retail-space-for-lease-martensville.jpg

Denver%20Shopping%20Center%20Retail%20Space%20for%20Lease-1688x1125.jpg

6356125.jpg

It is almost as if Tesla will have to give in and go with franchised dealers (making the cars even more expensive) if they want to be able to grow their service footprint in time.
It is definitely the intention of the 'independent franchised dealerships' to prove that necessity by forcing it as a foregone conclusion. They will fail. Because the singular advantage that Tesla Motors has over the traditional automobile manufacturers is knowing where their Customers are months ahead of Delivery. So they can concentrate their Sales and Service forces where they are most needed well ahead of time. Such is the benefit of direct sales on a one-to-one basis via the internet to facilitate build-to-order requests.

Reactions: SpiceWare
"Because the singular advantage that Tesla Motors has over the traditional automobile manufacturers is knowing where their Customers are months ahead of Delivery. So they can concentrate their Sales and Service forces where they are most needed well ahead of time. Such is the benefit of direct sales on a one-to-one basis via the internet to facilitate build-to-order requests."
This approach doesn't seem to have harmed Amazon much. And note they are building their own "service centers" now at a pretty rapid pace. Even bookstores.
Robin

I didn't realize there were states not allowing service centers, I thought it was just the store where they sell cars that states are objecting to (I realize that frequently they put in a store and service center in the same location). But they should be allowed to build as many service center only locations as they want wherever they want, right?
They should, but that would be 'too much like right', it seems. The Great State of Michigan has chosen to 'protect their citizens' by insisting that no automotive manufacturer may have their own Service facility... Unless it is to repair their own vehicles, take care of fleet vehicles owned by government agencies, or service cars purchased by nonprofit organizations.

There are those who are insistent that Tesla Motors should allow third parties to be trained to service their cars. They claim that Tesla is being 'too protective' or 'stingy' or even 'secretive' with the details about the cars. But the 26,400 Model S that were Delivered to US Customers during 2015 comes to maybe 1/663rd of all new vehicles sold here. The expense of training and diagnostic equipment to independent shops just to service the one car is likely prohibitive, and that doesn't even include inventory for replacement parts. Plus, Tesla would want the service to be run to NOT make a profit, but just 'keep the lights on'... So why would those independent shops want to bother with it, when there are probably 28 brand new Ford F-Series owners for every Model S buyer on the street? And, knowing that the Tesla Service Center would cost less, why would a Customer go to Midas or Pep Boys instead to have their annual service done?

Some even claim that they have 'always' worked on their own cars and see no reason why they shouldn't do the same with their Tesla. So they want the Service Manuals released to the public. Here the thing is, though... Tesla knows that not everyone that would work on their own car would do a good job. They also know that a good portion of them would make mistakes while trying to 'tweak' something, but wouldn't document or own up to the change when something went wrong. These cars are not 1920s era vehicles being hotrodded to impress the chicks at cruise night on the boulevard. And Tesla is in no particular hurry for them to become such highly customized spectacles. People waited a good couple or three decades before they started to drop blown Chevy engines into Ford Model T chassis. It would be nice if aftermarket tuners could give Tesla Motors at least half as much time and respect the technology as is for a while.

Tesla Motors -- Annual Report
ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012

Item 1A -- Risk Factors

If our vehicle owners customize our vehicles or change the charging infrastructure with aftermarket products, the vehicle may not operate properly, which could harm our business.

Automobile enthusiasts may seek to “hack” our vehicles to modify its performance which could compromise vehicle safety systems. Also, we are aware of customers who have customized their vehicles with after-market parts that may compromise driver safety. For example, some customers have installed seats that elevate the driver such that airbag and other safety systems could be compromised. Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.

They're called showrooms.

And technically Tesla doesn't sell cars there. You buy the car online (you have the option to buy it online in-store, but it's still considered an online purchase).
The 'independent franchised dealerships' have argued that when Tesla Motors actively promotes their products in a manner that will not result in a sale through an independent retailer that is the process of 'selling' and should not be allowed by a manufacturer. They are wrong, of course, but that's the horse they run with... It is perfectly legal to BUY a Tesla anywhere in the US. The 'independent franchised dealerships' continually protest that Tesla shouldn't be allowed to SELL their cars 'the way we do'... Funny thing is, none of them realize Tesla has no intention of ever having 'Acres and Acres of CARS!' sitting on a lot waiting for someone to hopefully come over and buy one of them some day. It makes much more sense to sell on a one-to-one basis with goods that are custom ordered instead. I wonder which one of the massive Dealership Conglomerates is going to challenge the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Constitution, just to prevent online sales of new cars as well...?

Reactions: Sharkbait
I share people's anxiety about the service sender issues. The 3's success is critical. I'm sure Musk knows this so I assume it will be addressed.

It does make me nervous though. I really want Tesla to succeed.
I have no anxiety, I'm not nervous at all. Tesla is fully aware of how important it is to get the Model ☰ just right. Elon is making the proper moves to ensure they succeed.

I totally agree with the OP. The 2 service centers in MA are slammed and I cannot imagine what's going to happen once the Model 3 starts selling in volume. A related issue is the availability of parts. Waiting many weeks for a part, such as a suspension bushing in my case, doesn't seem unusual.

Unfortunately Teslas require a lot of service compared to most cars but have far fewer service centers and far worse parts availability.
The other issue is parts availability, they will need to stock some of the more common parts that are used more frequently. You cannot do what they are doing now which is make the appointment you bring the car in, they then determine what needs to be done and order the appropriate parts. Can you imagine what this would mean for not only storage of the cars waiting for parts but wait time for repairs. The operations system they use now will not work on a larger scale, in fact it is not working now. Elon, do you have a plan?
Well, that's because the Ford LTD, Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car, and Mercury Grand Marquis were essentially the same vehicle with different trim and badges. Many of the cars by Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac were similarly badge-engineered for decades. But every NAPA Auto Parts, Pep Boys, or AutoZone in the nation likely has parts that will fit them all, and have stocked them for over 25 years. The Tesla Model S is four years old, and they have sold a few more than 85,100 of them in that time. The availability of spare parts for it are not going to be as readily available in that situation. Because firstly, the parts were not designed with the express purpose and intention of eventual expected failure to begin with, and there has not been enough time to assess which items or components might experience undue wear and tear. Trust that many people didn't want their Model A or Model T to be followed by a trailing pit crew in a horsedrawn wagon either.

I agree Tesla will need to make sure they have more trained techs and folks that can troubleshoot and quickly get to the bottom of issues on a consistent basis.
And a big part of that preparation is making sure they have the legal right to employ those individuals. Because having 15,000 techs in California will only take care of half the problem nationwide. Please see to it that you personally lobby your local representatives to Legalize Tesla, if there are significant roadblocks to their expansion where you live. Those States that allowed limited access to Tesla Stores are pretty bad in my opinion, because I'm sure they haven't limited expansion of Starbucks or Apple Stores at all. If you make it, you should be able to sell it, and service your own Customers as well.

So close to the Model 3 release, I'm confident Tesla will partner with CarMax or some other type of 3rd party.
Someone else suggested a similar solution. I saved my reply to them. It should work here too...

After living with the headache of having to get my Smart to Buffalo for service, the idea of having to get a car to Cleveland or Toronto is not appealing.

The cable company is subcontracting to service companies rather than provide their own installation. I wonder if there's a way Tesla could contract with someone with broad built infrastructure like - say Carmax - to provide delivery and service.

My experience at Carmax has been good. I wouldn't mind going there to pick up my Model 3. Would avoid the problem of building thousands of stores across the country.
CarMax is primarily a used car company, per Wikipedia [ CarMax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ] . Though, they do have some new car sales within a few of their locations. They processed nearly 600,000 vehicles during 2015. Their sites would make a great partner for Tesla Motors, possibly for both Sales and Service... Except that it would almost certainly be illegal for them to do so in some way or another in those States that are determined to block direct sales. Tesla could perhaps sublet space on a CarMax lot, as some of them are rather spacious... But Tesla Motors would not be under the umbrella of CarMax at all, so they'd need their own Dealer's License -- and that would probably be blocked as well. Any place where such an arrangement is not currently illegal would probably be made so practically overnight if the 'independent franchised dealerships' had anything to do with it.

Reactions: jimmyjohn
SCs were packed with early X problems, and these should have settled down. Early teething problems are not unknown in new car lines. The X doors are a case in point. Many S and X owners appear to be entitled, high-maintenace, hypercritical and demanding -- this is more expected when they are spending $80-150,000. Hopefully Model 3 owners will less so. Tesla obviously have plans in place, and I expect growth in SCs becoming more apparent over the next year. I guess all the hand-wringing shows people care.
Honestly? I expect that there will be gozillion page discussions here from people who are much more demanding than even the worst cases of hypercritical Model S and Model X owners we've seen so far once the Model ☰ arrives. I intend to promptly [IGNORE] a bunch of those who contribute to those discussions with unfounded accusations and general stupid stuff. (Obviously, I have no designs on becoming a Moderator here, God Bless 'em!) There will be adjustable height shoulder belts in the Model ☰, and door pockets, at least... But without the prerequisite number of cubby holes, and straps, and grab bars, and light fixtures, and coat hooks, and 3.5 cupholders per passenger, and the endless list of useless 'features' that are naught but bells & whistles...? There are going to be a LOT of ANGRY people who simply don't understand the design philosophy at all. And those very same guys are going to be part of ridiculously frivolous class action lawsuits that will quite often be dismissed out of hand over truly stupid $#!+. Things are, unfortunately, going to get far worse in the complaints department.

"My Lexus had much better seats!"

"My Cadillac at least had OnStar!"

"Why is there no HUD?"

"The screen is WAY too bright!"

"The Screen is WAY too dim."

"The screen is WAY too close!"

"The screen is WAY too far away."

"The font on the screen is too small."

"The font on the screen is too fancy."

"The font on the screen is too plain."

"They call this a 'luxury car'? My _____ cost thousands less and is WAY more comfortable!"

"Where is the
[HECK] is the _____?"

"I'm stranded! The battery just died! Tesla says they will access a fee to tow me to the Supercharger I passed 20 miles back..."

This is gonna be fun to watch, for a while. Then I'm gonna have to get away from this place. Seriously.

The 'independent franchised dealerships' have argued that when Tesla Motors actively promotes their products in a manner that will not result in a sale through an independent retailer that is the process of 'selling' and should not be allowed by a manufacturer. They are wrong, of course, but that's the horse they run with... It is perfectly legal to BUY a Tesla anywhere in the US. The 'independent franchised dealerships' continually protest that Tesla shouldn't be allowed to SELL their cars 'the way we do'... Funny thing is, none of them realize Tesla has no intention of ever having 'Acres and Acres of CARS!' sitting on a lot waiting for someone to hopefully come over and buy one of them some day. It makes much more sense to sell on a one-to-one basis with goods that are custom ordered instead. I wonder which one of the massive Dealership Conglomerates is going to challenge the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Constitution, just to prevent online sales of new cars as well...?
Why did you quote me?

Yes, when was the model 3 reveal and how many new service centers have been built. Does anyone have the numbers.

After doing a little bit of digging I think the following is the list of service centers that have been either opened or expanded in the US since the Model 3 event:

Brooklyn NY Mar-16
Salt Lake City UT Mar-16
Dallas TX Apr-16
Bellevue WA Jun-16
Tempe AZ Aug-16
San Francisco CA Aug-16
Austin TX Aug-16

The following is the Coming Soon list. Some of these have been on this list for years, though.

Coral Gables FL
Indianapolis IN
New Orleans LA
Baltimore MD
Detroit MI (LOL)
Omaha NE
Albuquerque NM
Oklahoma City OK
Pittsburgh PA
San Antonio TX

I think the Portland service center is going to be relocated soon as well, but I haven't really dug into that one.

This is great information; very well thought out and presented --- thanks so much. This is going to be VERY interesting how Tesla approaches these non-traditional hurdles (in addition to the traditional hurdles). I promise to stay-tuned.

Someone else suggested a similar solution. I saved my reply to them. It should work here too...

CarMax is primarily a used car company, per Wikipedia [ CarMax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ] . Though, they do have some new car sales within a few of their locations. They processed nearly 600,000 vehicles during 2015. Their sites would make a great partner for Tesla Motors, possibly for both Sales and Service... Except that it would almost certainly be illegal for them to do so in some way or another in those States that are determined to block direct sales. Tesla could perhaps sublet space on a CarMax lot, as some of them are rather spacious... But Tesla Motors would not be under the umbrella of CarMax at all, so they'd need their own Dealer's License -- and that would probably be blocked as well. Any place where such an arrangement is not currently illegal would probably be made so practically overnight if the 'independent franchised dealerships' had anything to do with it.

So many here know about the discounts on inventory vehicles last month, when I bought mine. But I wonder if Q3 results will really mean more, new, service centers soon and how soon? Allegedly, deliveries are outpacing new service centers significantly. Are these numbers an aberration?

Tesla record-breaking deliveries will mean more service centers

Are Tesla owners experiencing difficulty making short notice appointments?