Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Mobile Service Swap Winter Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my winter tires and rims from PMCTire. They have arrived and look awesome.
'
The local tire shop has never worked on a Tesla and didn't instill a lot of confidence, so I'm wondering if Tesla Mobile Service will do the swap for a fee?

Does anyone know? They are balanced/mounted on the rims and ready to go.

I do still think it's a bit early here given we have no snow and it's still quite mild, but....

I bought my winter tires and rims from PMCTire. They have arrived and look awesome.
'
The local tire shop has never worked on a Tesla and didn't instill a lot of confidence, so I'm wondering if Tesla Mobile Service will do the swap for a fee?

I do still think it's a bit early here given we have no snow and it's still quite mild, but....

If those new wheels are not Tesla OEM wheels, its unlikely they will help you. You got TPMS also?

Reactions: canadianeh
'

I couldn’t even get Tesla Mobile on Vancouver Island to put on my winter wheels when I bought them from Tesla. I had to give up a day and pay almost $200 in ferry fares to get the Vancouver where Tesla had a third party put them on. :(

I just ordered a set from PMC as well...what awesome customer service! Can I get them installed at the service centre? Some of these posts seem to suggest otherwise, or is it only mobile that won’t do the swap? I’ll be taking delivery in the dead of a Saskatchewan winter...it would be irresponsible of them to make me drive to a tire shop with the summer performance tires on it, wouldn’t it?

You could go to Tesla but they're busy and probably going to charge you an arm and a leg because they don't need the work.

Buy yourself a jack and do it in less than an hour, or if you really want someone to do it, I've found my local Costco is the best bet - they have pucks, techs are over 18yo and give a sh*& (looking at you Canadian Tire) and I can see into the bays easily. On top of all that it's ~$65 to install new tires on rims, I'd guess a simple wheel swap is around the same price.

You could go to Tesla but they're busy and probably going to charge you an arm and a leg because they don't need the work.

Yeah...it was more the fact that I would be picking up a brand new car so I hoped they could do it right there before needing to drive in the winter with the stock tires...I think it’s not recommended to drive with then on under a certain temperature.

Had a flat tire and the mobile ranger came to install a new tire. He was willing to swap tires since he was already there but I don't have them yet. He also said he would charge the same rate as you'd get with coming in to get the tires swapped or a standalone mobile appointment. Long story short, yes they will swap your tires for a fee (if you can get a hold of them). YMMV I'm guessing.

On an aside, he also said those jack pucks are unnecessary to jack the car up. He doesn't use them despite others providing them to him. Not sure what to think but definitely looking to buy a car jack this Black Friday!

If those new wheels are not Tesla OEM wheels, its unlikely they will help you. You got TPMS also?

Yes I did get TPMS.

Learn to swap yourself. So easy. No waiting, do it exactly when you need it.

Yeah, I more liked the fact that a lot of local shops will store the others. I DO want to learn to do it myself. I will likely give it a shot.

I couldn’t even get Tesla Mobile on Vancouver Island to put on my winter wheels when I bought them from Tesla. I had to give up a day and pay almost $200 in ferry fares to get the Vancouver where Tesla had a third party put them on. :(

Doh!

I just ordered a set from PMC as well...what awesome customer service! Can I get them installed at the service centre? Some of these posts seem to suggest otherwise, or is it only mobile that won’t do the swap? I’ll be taking delivery in the dead of a Saskatchewan winter...it would be irresponsible of them to make me drive to a tire shop with the summer performance tires on it, wouldn’t it?

Yeah PMC was awesome so far. No issues at all getting the tires. Well packed. They look great.

'

Have you picked up your car yet? When I ordered mine last year, I spoke to the Tesla advisor that was assigned to our order and explained that we lived in an area that legally required winter tires at that time of the year. He organised for the winter wheels and tires to be put on the car at the delivery centre. A couple things though - our car was a performance model so it came with sporty summer tires AND we obviously had to purchase the Tesla ones and hope they would arrive before the car AND be able to fit the other ones in the back. In the end the tires didn't arrive on time so they refunded us for the winter tires and we drove home a very long alternate route (rather than directly over the Malahat). We then purchased a cheaper set from tsportline. This might be a useless story so I'm sorry if so, but Tesla are usually accomodating if they are able to be and who knows, maybe someone could organise that for you, doesn't hurt to ask. Like someone else said, if they are busy then there's not much they can do.

I have two sets of wheels, both from Tesla. I did pick up the winter set in Vancouver. But in Victoria, Kal Tire does a good job of swapping winter/all season wheels and charges $40 plus tax.
Although I am always cautious and ask them to note the special lift points for the vehicle, the answer is invariably that they have already done the same on three other Teslas that day, so not to worry.

since 2018 then, two vehicles and Kal Tire had been great.

If you need new tires or some other repair the Tesla Clubs have negotiated a VIP discount of 10% with Kal Tire. But the $10/wheel swap is not included. It seems reasonable.