Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla orient panels multiple ways?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been doing measurements on the rear roof of my house and unfortunately I cannot fit as many panels as I thought. Will Tesla orient panels vertically and also horizontally as shown in my rudimentary drawing below? This would allow me some more panels up top as I cannot fit 3 rows vertically. My rear roof is shown below as well for reference.

1693515251568.png

1693515589751.png

It seems Tesla certainly prefers the landscape orientation based on all the designs I have seen posted here. On my system there was one roof plane that was supposed to have six panels in the landscape orientation, but on install day the installers realized they wouldn't fit as designed. They moved one panel to a different roof plane and installed the remaining five panels in the portrait orientation.

I haven't seen portrait and landscape orientations mixed into the same group though.

Also when trying to do your own conceptual layout keep in mind your local fire codes may require a setback from the sides and apex of the roof.

As with anything with Tesla, trying to get them to do something non-standard is an uphill battle but sometimes achievable.

It seems Tesla certainly prefers the landscape orientation based on all the designs I have seen posted here. On my system there was one roof plane that was supposed to have six panels in the landscape orientation, but on install day the installers realized they wouldn't fit as designed. They moved one panel to a different roof plane and installed the remaining five panels in the portrait orientation.

I haven't seen portrait and landscape orientations mixed into the same group though.

Also when trying to do your own conceptual layout keep in mind your local fire codes may require a setback from the sides and apex of the roof.

As with anything with Tesla, trying to get them to do something non-standard is an uphill battle but sometimes achievable.
Yes, we have 18” setbacks around all the edges for walkability/fire code.

So Tesla does horizontal instead of vertical usually? I thought it was the other way around and that they always do vertical.

I think my install is probably one of the simplest tbh, as I’m just trying to fit as many panels on the back roof as it faces almost directly south.

Edit: turns out I was wrong. Tesla Solar installs on YouTube all appear to be horizontal panel orientation.

Last edited:
Here is a megathread with people posting their layouts, although it has been a couple of years since last posted to.

Seems like most are landscape. Early in the thread I see that some have mixed landscape/portrait, although that was more than 3 years ago.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Best way to find out is to ask them. After you start an order they ask for a $100 down payment. Then they will give you a design. If it's not what you would like just ask them with a phone call. Don't worry about the down payment. It's fully refundable.

YMWV.
Sometimes people get answers through the app. Sometimes people get answers through chat. Sometimes people get answers through a phone call. No guarantees. For me it seems the most reliable way is through a phone call. Don't expect them to answer your question without them knowing what they are working with. Start the order process so you can see what the automatic design comes up with. Put in your down payment so the design team can look at your property and create a fist cut. Then call them and ask. By then they will be able to give you a more reliable answer. They will know at that point what is required for your area.