Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model 3 support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

Will Tesla support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But are they really? Tesla's own audio playback software only just gained the ability to scrub in the past few months, it has been plagued with audio playback issues pretty much forever... I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it'll still occasionally get stuck in a loop and stutter through a song, experience subtle audio blips and dropouts every now and then, etc. Meaningful phone integration is nonexistent (no push notifications to the car, no reading or acknowledging of messaging/sms, no native Pandora app in-car or that interfaces with a phone, initiating calls from the car doesn't work on some phones (my wife's Sony Xperia Z1 Compact included), etc.). From a functionality standpoint, the phone integration in my Model S is actually worse than my nearly 3 year old $25k Honda Accord.

Tesla Motors: Bring CarPlay and Android Auto to Tesla

And also, Palmdale:cool:!!!!!

Reactions: Petra
That's actually impossible since the device has to be able to run the updated Android Auto or not.

No. The device runs the apps.

Doubtful that Tesla is going to run either OS on its car no matter how easily they can be sandboxed. Just too risking for Tesla

It is quite possible. Google has been slowly separating their applications from the low level Android system code the past few years precisely because they wanted to be able to update the apps independent of the OS. That means I get periodic updates to Gmail, Google Maps, etc without waiting for an OS upgrade (which the carriers are notoriously slow with). Android Auto works the same way. Only major enhancements to an app that require new APIs to the OS would necessitate an update to the OS.

Android Auto and Carplay do not require the car manufacturer to run Android OS or iOS. All the manufacturer has to do is build an application to interface with AA/Carplay. The only thing the application would be responsible for is displaying the output from AA/Carplay on the car's screen and receiving user input and passing it back to the phone. All the apps run on the phone.

Easiest way may be to have a display with multiple hdmi inputs with simple input switching built in. Input 1 is Tesla Car OS, input 2 is Apple Car, Input 3 is Android auto. Car OS tells the display which to show so it can take control whenever needed. Touch inputs are forwarded to whichever input is showing. Three separate processors can be used so no fear of CarOS loosing control or being hung by other processes. Apple Car and Andoriod Car could have simple "Return" app that switches Display back to CarOS input.

Tesla doesn't want to get "sandboxed" into the side of another tractor trailer. With controls of the car in the software, only Tesla stuff is going to run on the Tesla operating system.

A great sandbox for Apple or Android is nice mounting spot for Galaxy or iPad with ability for the car's internet connection to provide a link though even that might be an issue for Tesla as a backdoor into the car controls.

I think you are missing the technical definition of sandbox. Rest assured that the Tesla critical systems are already fully sandboxed. If they weren't something as simple as the Touchscreen Web Browser crashing from a rouge web page would inadvertently take down the entire car. Adding other sandboxes would add no additional risk - after all, that's why sandboxing was invented. No worries...

Reactions: Red Sage
With AP 2.0, all new cars have a computer 40x more powerful correct? Hopefully different system or the integration of Apple CarPlay?
That processor is only for the AP system. I certainly don't want the computer in charge of keeping my car running straight at highway speeds trying to call grandma while simultaneously trying to find the latest Taylor Swift song for any passengers.

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00