Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model X use the Gentex Hybrid Full Display Mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.php?attachmentid=94501&d=1442496930.jpg

This picture from the design studio seems to have a very conveniently placed camera right where you'd expect a rearview mirror camera to be!
First I've seen of this picture! Thanks for sharing! Is that camera not on the other pictures in the design studio? I'll have to check my reservation page.

Hmmm, liking that white version more and more. ;-)

I wonder why put camera outside, theoretically increasing windage, when it could be protected inside upper rear window, like the forward camera. If this "fin" persists, another possibility is more traditional antennae. If the windshield has electro-chromatic features, maybe they don't want to embed antenna?

Overall, I'm puzzled by placing anything in the slipstream if they don't absolutely have to.

You can see the (presumed) camera is placed right at where the hatch stops and the roof begins. There could be hinges and such that come in conflict with the camera if it were placed inside the window. They could probably place it lower on the actual hatch, but then the view might be blocked by the spoiler.