TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will the Model X use the Gentex Hybrid Full Display Mirror?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Thegreatdane, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Thegreatdane

Thegreatdane Member

#1 Thegreatdane, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    The latest image of the Model X sparked this thread on Reddit. One user commented that he/she believed the OP of the image was a Gentex Corp employee

I looked at Gentex and found this video:

Could this be what the on/off rumors about the rear view mirror is about? Gentex involvement would also explain why the back seat windows are always blacked out on the mules as Gentex supply electrochromic windows to the airline industry.

We know that the Model X did consult a group of moms during the R&D of the vehicle and electrochromic backseat windows would be great for keeping the sun out of toddlers eyes.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd welcome this. Seems like a natural progression of the rear view camera app on the S.

3. Thegreatdane

Thegreatdane Member

#3 Thegreatdane, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Also all the mules have blacked out backseat windows. Gentex produces the electrochromic windows used in the new Boing Dreamliner.

As a sidenote the current Autopilot Firmware Manager at Tesla is a former Gentex Lead Software Development Engineer.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

heh, no more tint tickets! On the down side, can you imagine what the glass would cost to replace?

5. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This was extracted from the fact that the OP for the reddit MX leak (Crispy_Wagon, since deleted) had also previously posted that he was a Mechanical Engineer that worked on the 787 product. He'd shown a picture of the 787 and mentioned this fact. Those are pretty decent lines to connect.

7. AnxietyRanger

FWIW, some shots of the Model X rear-view mirror as seen in two sightings - last image from speculated "Gentex" one:

model_x_rearview_mirrors.jpg

Sources:

Tesla Model X Prototype May 8 2015 - YouTube

Model X Mule Sightings - Page 79

- - - Updated - - -

I found this graph saying that Gentex is already the supplier of Model S auto-dimming mirror:

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA843311210.PDF

- - - Updated - - -

Gentex mentioned below too - no idea how trustworthy or untrustworthy analysis...

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Tesla+(TSLA)+Gains+on+Upcoming+Software+Update,+Georgia+Vote+on+Dealers/10374635.html

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

What the heck is that/are those tiny sunroof slits showing behind the mirror?

9. timf

timf Member

I think the probability of a hybrid rear-view mirror is extremely high. It seems like a practical feature to carry over to Model S as well considering the amount of complaints of poor rear visibility given the taller headrests on the newer second row seats. The real question is how far will they take the Gentex technology and how many other new camera views will we see.

I know there's been a lot of speculation regarding side view cameras, but nothing that I've seen has been conclusive enough to pinpoint where these new cameras may be. Most designs thus far have put them in the side mirrors, but the Model X side mirrors show no obvious differences from the Model S side mirrors. I'm hoping the cameras to allow a 360 degree view are in fact there and hiding in plain sight, but I'm not yet confident this feature will be included.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

See this new thread Test car spotted with new sensors and you may be persuaded that side view cameras are coming soon.

11. AnxietyRanger

12. douhgboy

douhgboy Member

The rear headrests on both the second and third row are really big, and staggered such that rear vision is going to be really poor if a standard rear view mirror is all that is offered. This to me makes it more likely that the Gentex thing is likely; in fact maybe essential with the third row up.
    Screen_Snip_2015.09.08_18h17m57s_004_.jpg

13. spottyq

spottyq Member

I can't see (ha!) why it would be a bigger problem than with the MS.

The MS has the same headrests on the 2nd row, so assuming the the 2nd row isn't higher relative to the driver's head than on the MS, that can't be worse than the MS.*
    From my experience with cars seating 7 people, the rear mirror view isn't obscured by the 2 third row seats.

Having said that, it would sure be cool to have an innovative mirror. ;-)

14. douhgboy

douhgboy Member

#14 douhgboy, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    possibly... but those second row headrests look higher than in the MS to me, and the third row line up with the gaps so as to create an unbroken wall of headrests from the rearview mirror's point of view. I could be wrong, but I think rear visibility with a conventional mirror won't be great.

15. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

OK that's cool...am I the only one wondering why the video is shot in B&W? Maybe that technology is only available in B&W for proper contrast in all lighting - i.e. like night vision?

16. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=94501&d=1442496930.jpg

This picture from the design studio seems to have a very conveniently placed camera right where you'd expect a rearview mirror camera to be!

17. WentOffGrid

WentOffGrid Member

Yeah, but it would get iced/gunked up and be worthless if it was

18. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I'd sure welcome a rear view mirror "display" from a camera.

Look at the advantages: Cadillac Adds Streaming Video to Enhance Driver Vision and Safety

2014-12-18 --
    [FONT=Arial !important]
    Image:
    http://i.imgur.com/UAaXtza.png
    UAaXtza.png
    Image: [/FONT]
    http://i.imgur.com/uWaggHT.png
    uWaggHT.png

19. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Not if you have sufficient airflow over the camera.

20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Issue I see with this is running the wiring harness to the camera through the extended front windshield. Simple power can be done discreetly, but I wonder how much else is needed to wire this thing.