Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the off-road tires reduce the range like 22s on MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^If I end up with one I’ll off road it hard. I’m hoping it comes with 35” and would be awesome if it will for a 36 or 37”. And like stated above It’s going to weight a lot and E rated LT tires for sure.
You must have money to burn as there is no Tesla warranty for off road driving and nor there should be with a Tesla X. Buy a Jeep JL if your serous about off roading or do you want to make posts about how poor a Tesla X is off roading.

You must have money to burn as there is no Tesla warranty for off road driving and nor there should be with a Tesla X. Buy a Jeep JL if your serous about off roading or do you want to make posts about how poor a Tesla X is off roading.
Not sure where you are coming from. This thing is intended for offroad. Why else the big deal about approach and departure angles. Why else big offroad tires on the only one ever made?

I'm just looking at what you quoted... there is no mention of an X. Where did that come from?

Uuugh we are talking about the Cyber Truck? This is the cyber truck forum. No way you could off road an X, it’s a car

I’ve off roaded hard in my: 60 and 80 series land cruisers, MB g500, and current Lexus LX570. I use them as tools to get us to: hunting, fishing, camping, hiking,... so yes if I get a CT I will off road it as well.

As for a Jeep, they are terribly unreliable, I off road with Jeep guys and their rigs break all the time. And it’s almost $55k for a rubicon, now add on a lift, winch, sliders, bumpers, bigger wheels and tires and your at the price of the 3 motor Cyber truck Easy.

You could make it into a heavy duty off roader and run The King of the Hammers offroad race
Although theoretically an EV would do amazing in a race like that, instant torque for rock crawling and top end for the desert sections. The CT would be way too large and heavy.

Now if Tesla would ditch the air suspension and make a SWB mini CT, the size of a 40 series LC or 2 door wrangler, That could be a competitor.

My experience takes me through African Sahara and Sahel regions, Arctic Canada and most of desert southwest and Mexico all repeated trips over 40 years. The tires you see on the cybertruck are mud tires. They are not designed for anything but mud. They are deadly in the rain on pavement and very poor performing offroad in any dry or rock crawling situations. In fact mud tires will sink you in sand instantly. To me, anyone using these in other than mud looks like a neophyte or a high school kid. Best for off-road is going to be a much milder tread of an all terrain tire where you have much greater contact on the ground and on any rocks you are pulling yourself up and over, as well as traveling on top of deep sand.

Reactions: Ehninger1212
My experience takes me through African Sahara and Sahel regions, Arctic Canada and most of desert southwest and Mexico all repeated trips over 40 years. The tires you see on the cybertruck are mud tires. They are not designed for anything but mud. They are deadly in the rain on pavement and very poor performing offroad in any dry or rock crawling situations. In fact mud tires will sink you in sand instantly. To me, anyone using these in other than mud looks like a neophyte or a high school kid. Best for off-road is going to be a much milder tread of an all terrain tire where you have much greater contact on the ground and on any rocks you are pulling yourself up and over, as well as traveling on top of deep sand.
I agree with what you said about MT tires. I’m sure the ones on the CT are not what will come on production 2-3 years from now. They look very similar to a good year wrangler MT/R to me, also could be a RT? A closer look and it appears to have ciping in the center tread line which is not typical on MT tires. I’m guessing they are not an available production tire. Probably someone at Tesla put on something they thought “looked cool”. As for sand, sand tires have almost no tread. When I was overseas many people ran airplane tires out in the open desert.

Reactions: gene
I agree with what you said about MT tires. I’m sure the ones on the CT are not what will come on production 2-3 years from now. They look very similar to a good year wrangler MT/R to me, also could be a RT? A closer look and it appears to have ciping in the center tread line which is not typical on MT tires. I’m guessing they are not an available production tire. Probably someone at Tesla put on something they thought “looked cool”. As for sand, sand tires have almost no tread. When I was overseas many people ran airplane tires out in the open desert.

It is the MTR tread pattern with a modified sidewall. The idea behind the MTR tread pattern is to offer a section of tread which is geared towards specific types of use. Big chunky grab bars for mud and off road traction while the center bar is for on road performance. They also use a modified rubber compound and directional tire siping for wet road traction. So these are not the stereotypical Buckshot mudder/bogger.

Reactions: coleAK and gene

Tire technology has come a long way, "mud terrain" tires have a lot more on road thought built into them. However i agree they are overkill for like 95% of what people do. Heck All terrains are overkill for most people.

Reactions: coleAK and gene
If anyone does, it will be Tesla, all other car manufactures are so far behind.
If rivian can get close on the range they will blow the CT out of the water. I’ll take 20% less range, 20% less tow capacity for a tested off roader with functionality and storage that makes sense, without gimmicks and air suspension. From what I’ve seen They are thoughtfully looking at how a truck is used from innovative storage (built around things that would go there to off road functionality. Rivian are Showing videos of the prototype being tested off roading not valet parking it in Malibu.

If rivian can get close on the range they will blow the CT out of the water. I’ll take 20% less range, 20% less tow capacity for a tested off roader with functionality and storage that makes sense, without gimmicks and air suspension. From what I’ve seen They are thoughtfully looking at how a truck is used from innovative storage (built around things that would go there to off road functionality. Rivian are Showing videos of the prototype being tested off roading not valet parking it in Malibu.

Are you kidding? Valet parking can be a very treacherous endeavor, he was lucky.

But seriously, i would imagine Tesla is gonna do a bunch of testing as well. They likely wont make a bunch of videos about it though, They don't have anything prove. Just need to build it, it will sell.

I'm sure it will be just like the Model 3 range, the larger the wheels and the sticker the tires the higher the weight, which in turn will reduce range.

So get the lightest wheels you can with the lightest tire for your application (all-terrain, touring, severe snow service, eco-focus). Want range, get a eco-focus rated low rolling resistance tire, want all-terrain get -Nitto Trail Grappler MT or something similar), snow - get a severe snow service tires, etc

upload_2020-1-17_17-37-12-jpeg.501567

Last edited:
I'm sure it will be just like the Model 3 range, the larger the wheels and the sticker the tires the higher the weight, which in turn will reduce range.

So get the lightest wheels you can with the lightest tire for your application (all-terrain, touring, severe snow service, eco-focus). Want range, get a eco-focus rated low rolling resistance tire, want all-terrain get -Nitto Trail Grappler MT or something similar), snow - get a severe snow service tires, etc

upload_2020-1-17_17-37-12-jpeg.501567

I agree, I'm just hoping it was 500 mile range as displayed with the beefy tires, so when people switch to low resistance tires they see 550 miles range. (I know this isnt going to be the case)

I agree, I'm just hoping it was 500 mile range as displayed with the beefy tires, so when people switch to low resistance tires they see 550 miles range. (I know this isnt going to be the case)
Just based on the hit I take when I switch to my 34” AT tires in the summer IF it is rated to 500 miles with 34-35” Goodyear MT tires you’ll probably be closer to 600 with a high efficiency 32” all season. Although I’m betting it will be closer to 400 on big, beefy, heavy off road tires

Reactions: Tslacg