TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will there be a 3D?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EKnight47, Apr 1, 2016.

1. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

I just watched the reveal online...no mention of a dual drive option. No D, no deposit.

2. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

in one of the drive videos the driver refers to an AWD and rear wheel drive model, so Im better a D is in the picture.

3. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

OK, thanks for the heads up. It would be great to see some sort of confirmation on this from TM

4. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

As Seesaw mentioned, one of the drive videos, the driver mentions that car is a dual motor. He's a Tesla employee (believe he identified himself as an engineer), and that would be all the confirmation I would need. I'm 100% certain there will be a dual motor option on the 3.

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

there were dual motors in the graphics...

6. 78Lion

78Lion Member

Base model will be rear wheel drive and bare boned. Lots of options including battery size, dual motors, etc.

7. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

#7 EKnight47, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Actually, seesaw mentioned that one of the drivers refers to an AWD model. Not that the car actually IS an AWD model. If what you're saying is in fact true, that they were driving an AWD model...then yes, that's confirmation enough. That's not what Seesaw said in his post, though.

Over the years of Tesla ownership I have heard a lot of things mentioned that have never been confirmed! Sounds like there is some video that I haven't seen that makes it clear, though.

8. robertvg

robertvg Active Member

So we will call it a P390D ?:confused:

9. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

The driver clearly stated there would be dual motors as an option. And the graphic in the presentation showed dual motors.

10. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

I don't know what driver you are referring to. But if that is the case, that is great.

11. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

this is the video

• Like x 1
  12. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

Awesome, thank you. He didn't want to give too much info, but was certainly gave a definitive answer to the dual motor question.

• Like x 1
  13. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

I watched the Jalopnik Periscope video of the drive and the driver said, "This is a dual motor car" before mentioning that is an option. I'm not sure where to find that video anymore, but I think it used to be part of this post:

http://jalopnik.com/take-a-spin-in-the-tesla-model-3-with-us-live-right-now-1768394850

I watched it on their Facebook page this morning - he also interviewed Tesla's president too.

• Like x 1
  14. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I cannot find any picture of the 'skateboard' underneath platform,
    but during Elon's presentation you can really see the two motors and the battery between:

Tesla 3 dual motor platform

Note: I think that the taller engine on the right is the front engine.

15. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

One of the vehicles was a dual motor vehicle. The engineer (or whoever he is) got asked if this is the acceleration of the base model to which he replies that this is a dual motor model but the basic version will be RWD only. Still below 6 seconds 0-60 though.

• Like x 1
  16. PaulJB

PaulJB Member

This.

The base model will be RWD. Options available fro AWD, and from the video I watched the test drive was in an AWD version.