Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will There be Cooled Seats in the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't true air conditioned ventilated seats require some additional piping/ducts from the AC unit to the seats? It may be more of an engineering effort than just new seats with ventilated fans. They may be able to tap into the rear air but that is already pretty weak. Also requires a perforated leather which isn't always preferred.

I'm willing to bet that if they don't, it would be in the next redesign of the model S, say 2019ish, after the Model 3 release is underway, 6-7 year body lifecycle for Telsa like other auto makers, but more on high end since they will be hard pressed on 3rd model focus in 2017/2018.

Most ventilated seats aren't that great I've experienced so far.

Nope, at least none of the one's I've seen, they are self contained unit per seat. The setup I have in my Chevy Silverado works fantastic, although I can't comment on the quality of other systems from other manufacturers.

Another user added BMW aftermarket ventilated seats to their Model S awhile back and they were able to use the existing power under the seats and it worked...

While I'm going to wait until early Oct to order to try to give Tesla some time to add them to the Model S, I'm not hopeful that it'll happen. Why? Because ventilated seats are listed as part of the signature series features on the Model X so I can see Tesla holding out on them to try to maintain some sort of value for the Model X Sigs. Personally I think this is ridiculous but obviously my opinion on the matter doesn't hold any water to Tesla... :)

Jeff

Nope, at least none of the one's I've seen, they are self contained unit per seat. The setup I have in my Chevy Silverado works fantastic, although I can't comment on the quality of other systems from other manufacturers.

Another user added BMW aftermarket ventilated seats to their Model S awhile back and they were able to use the existing power under the seats and it worked...

While I'm going to wait until early Oct to order to try to give Tesla some time to add them to the Model S, I'm not hopeful that it'll happen. Why? Because ventilated seats are listed as part of the signature series features on the Model X so I can see Tesla holding out on them to try to maintain some sort of value for the Model X Sigs. Personally I think this is ridiculous but obviously my opinion on the matter doesn't hold any water to Tesla... :)

Jeff

That doesn't make any sense. As they are standard on the Sigs they will be paid options on the standard production cars. Also being as the X and S are two separate vehicles there is no reason they can't come out with ventilated seats for the S today for a premium. I'm pretty sure most other auto makers charge a premium for them too. Its no different. The only special thing about them is the simple fact that they are not letting us pay for them yet. Its just a matter of time though.

Jeff

If they are self-contained units, they would be easily retrofitable as long as the amperage draw on that power supplying the seat was adequate. Install seat, update software, boom, ventilated seats.

If they are self-contained units, they would be easily retrofitable as long as the amperage draw on that power supplying the seat was adequate. Install seat, update software, boom, ventilated seats.

It's likely that easy, and I'll bet the electrical is already in place although that's just an assumption for disclaimer purposes. I see two reasons why it's not an immediate thing with the Model S, one being availability as Tesla isn't going to offer them in the Model S at the expense of delaying Model X deliveries. Two, they'll wait until all Model X Sigs have been delivered just to keep the Sig reservation holders content, then they'll roll them over to the Model S.

Again, all just guessing...

Jeff

It's likely that easy, and I'll bet the electrical is already in place although that's just an assumption for disclaimer purposes. I see two reasons why it's not an immediate thing with the Model S, one being availability as Tesla isn't going to offer them in the Model S at the expense of delaying Model X deliveries. Two, they'll wait until all Model X Sigs have been delivered just to keep the Sig reservation holders content, then they'll roll them over to the Model S.
My guess is that the X seats are not the same -- they sit higher and have different tracks from the S.

My guess is that the X seats are not the same -- they sit higher and have different tracks from the S.

Likely yes, although that's not much of a challenge now that the engineering for the electronics and such is already done for the Model X. It's just a matter of adapting that to the Model S's seats and I'd venture to say that Tesla is\was working on that in parallel with the Model X seats.

Jeff