Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought FSD because the features were nice. They had value to me. As shipped at the time just short of the price tag, with the announced at the time stoplight feature putting it way over the "buy" line.

This wasn't a charity.

Coming from another EV the eniro the car model 3 didn't offer me any autonomous features better than Autopilot default so FSD drive from A to B would sell me. To get a car to do this in a UK city is a big reason I bought the car.

EA is another good example. They offer their EA Access service now, which is only $5/mo and gives you access to dozens of games that people might have otherwise paid $60/ea for resulting in hundreds of dollars a year in sales. Yet they're only charging $60/year for the service. How can they do that? Because the low monthly fee allows them to attract more users and ultimately get more dollars from those users long term. Same applies to the MS game pass, or the MS 360 office subscription, or any of the other hundreds of companies offering software as a service. The experiments are over, it's a proven business model, Tesla is actually late to the party.
Again, EA Sports isn't platform constrained like Tesla is. They weren't hitting conversion rates for all those theoretical sales like Tesla is.

P.S. And frankly EA Sports has been phoning it in and milking their licenses HARD for 20 years. They aren't really active development, they're on the long tail.

I bought FSD because the features were nice. They had value to me. As shipped at the time just short of the price tag, with the announced at the time stoplight feature putting it way over the "buy" line.

And that's exactly the reason you should buy it. Unfortunately I think a lot of people buy it on the promise of what it will do, rather then what it can do right now. And I think a lot of people also forego it because what it can do right now is not worth the cost to them.

Tesla (or Elon) seems to be pricing FSD on what it will do someday, and what value that will bring, rather than what it can do right now. Which they kind of have to do because anyone who buys now will eventually get the upgrade that ultimately enables real full self driving. Unfortunately they don't currently have a way to just purchase the features it has right now. It's an all or nothing proposition. Which is why the service makes sense. They can charge people a lower price that justifies what the car can do right now, and then raise the price as more features are added. (or break them up into various tiers with different price points)

Coming from another EV the eniro the car model 3 didn't offer me any autonomous features better than Autopilot default
I've never driven the Niro but that sounds very much off. Maybe the marketing checklist looked similar? But in use?

I do think Tesla left a fair amount of the feature set into the now bundled AP that eats at the edges of their FSD sales. As the price gap
opens up and reaches something like $10K they might have enough room, find another tier between the basic AP and FSD. The EAP reborn.

Again, EA Sports isn't platform constrained like Tesla is. They weren't hitting conversion rates for all those theoretical sales like Tesla is.

P.S. And frankly EA Sports has been phoning it in and milking their licenses HARD for 20 years. They aren't really active development, they're on the long tail.

Regardless of what you think of their games I can tell you from experience that writing a game takes a LOT of work and costs a LOT of money. Even a sh*tty one. Some of these games have budgets bigger than blockbuster Hollywood movies. And to turn around and put a title like that onto a subscription service that costs $5/mo tells you how much money there is to be made from that monthly revenue stream.

Reactions: Stickboy46
FWIW I drove a rental Niro (the non EV version) a couple months ago- the driver aid stuff was absolute garbage compared to autopilot.... it kinda mostly kept its lane if they stayed mostly straight....most of the time... and that was about it... and usually you had to figure out it had stopped working by the green icon not being there anymore or just noticing the car was drifting.

Regardless of what you think of their games I can tell you from experience that writing a game takes a LOT of work and costs a LOT of money.
EA isn't writing theses games, anymore. That's way, way in the rearview mirror. Only time there's anything remotely like that is porting when a new console platform comes out. What they are doing is little more than adjusting data tables for year's rosters and a few tweaks here and there. Infamously there are bugs, bad user experience impacting ones, that have persisted for years.

There isn't any meaningful software development going on, it is repackaging.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Stickboy46
EA isn't writing theses games, anymore. That's way, way in the rearview mirror. Only time there's anything remotely like that is porting when a new console platform comes out. What they doing is little more than adjusting data tables for year's rosters and a few tweaks here and there. Infamously there are bugs, bad user experience impacting ones, that have persisted for years.

There isn't any meaningful software development going on, it is repackaging.

Case in point:

EA remains focused on live services with 14 new games this year

EA has "14 new games this year"

4 are remasters/ports of existing games.

4 are yearly "updates" of sports games

4 are actually developed by someone else (an EA partner)

2 are EA mobile games

If you take an honest look at how automobile feature pricing is, they are very much in line if not outright highly competitive.

The thing is there is precious little to very easy compare on the same features, because frankly they don't really have direct competition on this.

But the majority of the features you get right now are beta, and hit or miss depending on the location and situation. The only two finished features are auto-park, which other cars seem to do much better, and regular summon which is being replicated on much less expensive cars now. (what was it Subaru that had the Superbowl commercial with the guy from The Office?) If that, plus some beta features which may or may not always work, is worth $8k to you then great. Enjoy. You're in the minority though since less than 30% are actually buying FSD right now, and that percentage is likely to continue to go down as the price goes up.

Reactions: jonquiljo
Have you ever worked in the software or video game industry?
I started when Windows 3.0 was the hot new thing....well that was my first permanent job, I started before that in software...and an experienced programmer for the platform was crazy rare. And I’ve done a pile in ongoing support for existing code base (on different platforms).

EA Sports has all the hallmarks of skeleton crew support. No refactoring, not even basic bug fixing going on.

They’ve got some non-programming costs for building yearly player tables, and occasional graphic asset changes. But a tiny fraction of normal development costs.

Last edited:
The fact that so many discount the value of FSD because it’s only software blows my mind.
There is...

People are paying $7-8k upfront right now for the promise of what it will do in the future. People paying for the service will be paying for what .

Wow, lots of words, but no numbers to support anything you said. Unfortunately that isn’t how business decisions are made.

The person at Tesla who is smarter than you has already made the decision: the price goes up to $8k in July and the subscription based model will cost more than buying it upfront.

Again, people who buy the base model 3 are NOT the target audience for FSD. The targeted demographic spends much more thank $8k on upgrades, without having 50 pages of discussion about it. There’s a whole luxury ICE market they can poach customers from. There’s simply no need to cater to bargain buyers.

I was genuinely having difficulty understanding why this is hard for some of you to understand. But I think the disconnect is that because it’s “just” a software update people are undervaluing the feature and think it should be given to them because the hardware is already installed. I doubt if Tesla would’ve made the sensors/cameras/software/etc. a separate install package we would be having such an extensive conversation about the price of FSD.

Anyway, not sure how we fell down that EA rabbit hole.
Because you, not understanding the EA Sports situation and how much software industry in general differs from Teslas position in terms of marketing, decided it was an example that supported your argument.

So yeah, now that you've managed to hoist yourself on your own petard of supposing I don't have any relevant professional, industry experience, this indeed would be a good time for you to drop it as only serves to further sabotage your flailing argument.

My prediction.... the monthly service cost will be low enough that a lot of people who paid upfront are going to be unhappy with that decision. Feel free to quote me and say I told you so if I turn out to be completely wrong.