Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise Solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m now baffled when I read about excessive road/wind noise. There are so many complaints that I held off on getting my own Model 3 for a few quarters. The folks complaining must be coming from Land Rovers or Audis because my 3 is WAY quieter than our Hyundai Tucson and our Dodge Journey. Also...the stereo is so amazing that I would never hear the wind noise, even if it were bad.

The M3 is not deafening loud, but the true test for us will be on our trip to Austin on the 14th, where some of the roughest asphalt you can imagine exists. But so far, it's mostly wind noise, not road noise, so I imagine it shouldn't be as loud, but we'll see. Anyway, can anybody post what you're using to seal the windshield to the first roof glass panel, first to second roof panel, and both roof panels to the painted roof 'rails'??? I was thinking of 'siliconing' all of those channels flush with the glass. I think the majority of wind noise is coming from there IMO. I can hear it on the roof rail area, so it could be the top of the windows too, but I'm suspecting the channels between glass and roof rails. I could give a try to those weatherstripping options first... if they're any good. Will also try Wurth rubber care on the gaskets, to see if that makes a difference. The wind noise starts to be noticeable around 60 mph on my car. By 80, it's downright annoying, since I have it right on my left ear. And this is on a 2021, with double-pane front windows, but honestly, it's as noisy as the 2020 we test-drove, by what I remember.

Comparing the Chevy Volt to my new M3 LR AWD, the Volt is slightly quieter even at freeway speeds (70mph+). That said, I only noticed when I was concentrating on the noise level just after I drove my M3. It doesn't bother me and even my passenger didn't notice any real difference- but then he was too busy playing with the M3's screen at the time. :D

-GC

I’m now baffled when I read about excessive road/wind noise. There are so many complaints that I held off on getting my own Model 3 for a few quarters. The folks complaining must be coming from Land Rovers or Audis because my 3 is WAY quieter than our Hyundai Tucson and our Dodge Journey. Also...the stereo is so amazing that I would never hear the wind noise, even if it were bad.
There's the answer - Hyundai and Dodge. Those are going to be louder. My 2020 3 is quieter than my 2019. The most wind reduction mod for me was rubber tubing in the fender/A-pillar gap. AM wheel liners, door seals, etc... don't do anything to reduce high-speed wind noise but I do like the door seals to assist in keeping the door jambs cleaner.

Do you have any links for that product? :) I wanted less wind noise at highway speeds, especially since it's right above my left ear, but saw a video of a guy taping all gaps, and wind noise wasn't reduced, so guess there's no point on trying to seal those glass gaps. I was thinking about putting 100% silicon on all glass gaps, but apparently it wouldn't solve anything.

Wind noise in my 2021 M3LR is comparable to my Mercedes C350e (which is fitted with the panoramic sun roof option so has similar, but smaller expansion gaps in roof glass) but the road noise is definitely higher in the M3. Overall, I can live with the overall level of noise but it's certainly not in the E-Class or 7-series category... Fortunately, all the doors have been well fitted on mine, and have not noticed any problems some others have reported with wind noise from the door/window seals. Maybe Tesla might think about an active sound cancellation system... enough computing and audio processing available :)

Reactions: SummerlinChiro