Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advise on what to do about wind noise. I'm not exactly sure where it comes from, but its at almost all speeds. Certainly from 45 mph up. Not so bad if the radio is on but if I'm talking on blue tooth to someone its a bit annoying. 2019 vehicle.

Modern ICE vehicle manufacturers have done an incredible job of damping NVH when you consider there can be 100s of explosions happening in the engine bay every second but the fact remains that if you lose engine noise something has to be the loudest noise in the car and its usually wind noise in an EV as soon as speeds increase.

Modern ICE vehicle manufacturers have done an incredible job of damping NVH when you consider there can be 100s of explosions happening in the engine bay every second but the fact remains that if you lose engine noise something has to be the loudest noise in the car and its usually wind noise in an EV as soon as speeds increase.
It doesn’t need to sound like you’re in a wind tunnel though.

Let’s face it, Tesla does the bare minimum when it comes to noise reduction. Ever seen a Model S pulled apart? There is little to no damping material and the glass they use is total crap.

check the plastic spacers at the lower corners of the windshield, make sure they are both popped in properly. I also noticed wind noise greatly reduced when I had the windshield replaced (possibly better glue / sealer). However I have have a windshield that ghosts lights at night that tesla says meets their quality specs...So I traded the wind issue for a visibility problem.

They also sell a gasket that goes around the top glass that helped to reduce noise a little. I have also installed door seal kits, not sure they really do much though... Biggest improvement for wind was getting the windshield replaced :(

I owned a Chevy Bolt and we now own a Kia Niro EV and neither were as loud as my new M3. Strange as the M3 must slip through the wind much better than either of those cars. I'll be honest, there is an issue with the B-pillar and drivers window at the moment that they're going to look at Tuesday (loud rush of air as if the window is cracked). All that said, it's clear their is little to no sound deadening in the M3. If you watch the assembly line video, you're essentially driving a metal drum. Of course there's no engine so the main sources of noise are the wind and tires. You can replace the tires with something quieter but the only thing between the tires and you are a felt wheel liner and a thin pad under the carpet. Also, there's no adjustable speed-volume setting and it's so loud I'm constantly adjusting the nav and radio volumes up/down each ride. Hop on the highway, can't hear anything.... raise it.... come to a stop and it's too high.... lower it. I'm not keen on adding a bunch of aftermarket weatherstripping to the doors.

I call BS on your post. In any normal car at cruise on the freeway, there is no engine noise unless it's a sports car or modified. Wind and tire noise are always the loudest noises.

On cheap-ass ICE cars, that wind and tire noise is loud. On well-engineered ICE cars, they are quiet cars. The Model 3 is much closer to a cheap-ass ICE car than a well-engineered car, and no, I don't give them a pass because they are EV's, and neither should you.

What I have learned over many years of being a car fanatic and trying myself to make noisy cars quiet is that if they are born noisy, they will remain noisy. Changing to quieter tires, putting sound deadening materials and sprays, new wheel liners, more seals, etc, just doesn't fix a poorly engineered car.

Reactions: Filteq and glide
I had my new model 3 brought in for wind noise. They replaced a part and didn’t solve the problem. No charge and Uber for the day. Good experience but problem was not solved. Now the noise from the driver’s side window is annoyingly worse. I put in a service ticket and now they want to charge me a 174 dollars has anyone experienced this? And who do you go to for a more thorough review?