Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Window sits on top of the gasket all the way up on both sides here. Like Ohman's pic. Passenger side glass sits a little proud relative to the fixed window and could contribute to noise I suppose. I think the drivers side is louder though but not sure why. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I got the car back from the Service Center a week ago. The new rear seats were installed, as well as a replacement quarter glass and seal for the driver's door. The thing is, I was complaining about wind noise from the passenger's quarter glass and the folded rubber seal.

It seems that the quarter glass/seal for the passenger's side is backordered. However, I now have a wind whistle that begins at 30 mph from the new driver's side quarter glass! The service center has been notified that when parts arrive both doors will need work (and a test drive).

It seems that the quarter glass/seal for the passenger's side is backordered. However, I now have a wind whistle that begins at 30 mph from the new driver's side quarter glass! The service center has been notified that when parts arrive both doors will need work (and a test drive).

Gah! That whistle will drive you nuts sometimes, too. Hard to believe they introduced a new one. I'm hopeful you get it fixed. I haven't pushed my SC about my replacement yet because of stories like this. I feel like I should just wait until they know what's up before they work on mine. They replaced a rear quarter glass on mine and I noticed today how badly it sticks out. That'll need replacing as well, unfortunately.

I feel for the SC staff who are being forced to learn on the fly. I know they're doing their best under heavy load, but introducing new problems with repairs is just making all of that worse. Hopefully they can take a little more time with future repairs (or have Elon sleep in a sleeping back in each SC).

I have one of the first cars that came off the production line in early January. Both of my front windows have problem with the wind noise. The noise starts about 45 mph and is much worse if it is a windy day. I have reported it twice but they have yet to make it any better. The last time I took it in for service was two months ago. I am taking in for the recall and other issues later this week. I am hoping they now have more experience with the problem and can fix it.
Have SC fixed it yet?

I took delivery of my X on Thursday and only drove it for about 20 minutes before dropping of for tint and such, but I immediately noticed some wind noise coming from the driver's door upper glass towards the front of the car. Is this seal something that can be replaced while I wait?

When I had my beautiful perfect X in for the 3rd row seat recall they changed the front quarter panel seals. I had never heard wind or whistles, now I hear wind and an occasional whistle when up to speed. Not going back to the SC unless there is another reason or it really begins to annoy me. Sometimes it just seems to be how I close the door whether I hear it. Just a bite that I didn't ask them to do this and now my X isn't perfect any more. :-(

While I wait for my service appointment, I found a decent workaround for the wind noise issue (for those of you with the front quarter-window seal problem). Fold up a piece of paper (in my case, an old parking stub) until it's thick, and jam it between the quarter window seal and the door weatherstripping, forcing the seal outward. Solved my issue for a 3.5 hour drive. Peace at last!

I took my X in for service on my spoiler (it's rubbing as it goes up and down) and asked specifically about the gasket - according to the technician, it is supposed to sit on top of the gasket, and not tuck in. I suggest them addressing this for you on your next service visit if it's still giving you issues.

I am curious how many of you have a gasket like this on your front fixed window pane? Note how the top of the drivers window tucks into a slot on the gasket where most of the window just sits on top of it. When I first got my car the passenger window was like this but the driver window was completely on top of the gasket. I pushed. poked and guided the window into the slot of the gasket and let it sit for a few days before lowering the window again. It now stays this way.View attachment 177691

I took my X in for service on my spoiler (it's rubbing as it goes up and down) and asked specifically about the gasket - according to the technician, it is supposed to sit on top of the gasket, and not tuck in. I suggest them addressing this for you on your next service visit if it's still giving you issues.
Mine has been working great being tucked in. I am not confident that your SC advisor is correct but ...

I would like my back gasket to be a bit tighter. Seems in some circumstances I can get some wind noise through the rear of the front windows (ie cross winds).

i took mine in to have this fixed, and its not fixed at all. i'm starting to lose my patience. i don't know which quality control is worse - off the production line, or at the service center. half the time i've had my X it's been in the service center. its absolutely ridiculous. think about anything in the world you'd spend 150k on. would any item whatsoever be delivered with 10-15 faults? and if there were faults, would the be fixed properly if taken back?

i took mine in to have this fixed, and its not fixed at all. i'm starting to lose my patience. i don't know which quality control is worse - off the production line, or at the service center. half the time i've had my X it's been in the service center. its absolutely ridiculous. think about anything in the world you'd spend 150k on. would any item whatsoever be delivered with 10-15 faults? and if there were faults, would the be fixed properly if taken back?
I think a lot of us with early Xs would have a pretty easy time making a lemon law case. There's no doubt it's frustrating. The fact that so few of us are taking that step does say something about loyalty, stupidity, or something else. The thing I can't figure out is whether Tesla's better or worse for our forgiveness.

I think a lot of us with early Xs would have a pretty easy time making a lemon law case. There's no doubt it's frustrating. The fact that so few of us are taking that step does say something about loyalty, stupidity, or something else. The thing I can't figure out is whether Tesla's better or worse for our forgiveness.

lemon law would be for off the production line. there is no lemon law for half-assed service, unfortunately. what i have experienced from the service center is mismanaged (or unmanaged), uncoordinated, disorganized, sloppy, and shoddy workmanship. and i'm a fanboy too...or was... i've owned many different brands thru the years, luxury and non. my experience since delivery has been so far off the charts worse its insane, and has made me insane.

forgotten charger cable and adapters in my loaner, issues not fixed at all after telling me they were. seat back cover missing, logo taken off back of car and not replaced, masking tape still on the roof, X was returned with average 580 wh/mi. so they were driving it 100mph or so (just a guess based on charts i've seen on this site). i could go on and on.

i hope for other owner's sakes, someone at Tesla is reading this. my emails to service center a complete waste of time. (see above)

lemon law would be for off the production line. there is no lemon law for half-assed service,
Most lemon laws pertain specifically to service. That is, whether or not your car is spending too much time in service because they're unable to rectify issues.

In California, the easy litmus test is whether the car has been out of service for at least 30 days while being repaired during the first 18 months of ownership. I'll hit that next month, so I stand by my original claim.

You're in NY. A quick search shows that you have the same test.

In any case, Tesla could choose to do a buyback, giving the owner the opportunity to walk or to repurchase a new, assumedly better built vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: skarletknite
I got my X a week ago, very happy with it so far. Beats "stuffing" three children in to a Nissan Leaf... Unfortunately it had wind noise from the passenger side, coming from the seal between the quarter window and the passenger door main window. Noise goes away when we apply pressure to the seal from the inside.

Like ohmman I am reluctant to having the Service Center look at it until they have some more experience with the issue (mine is one of the first X's here in Norway). My experience with other service centers (not Tesla, this is my first Tesla) is that they pretty often break something else while trying to fix the initial problem. As I hate this kind of fluctuating wind noise I spent some time investigating the problem. To my surprise there is a pretty stiff "rubber" cylinder inside the door gasket right around where the quarter window seal meets the door seal (see pictures). This rubber cylinder seemed to be a little out of position on the passenger side (closer to the front of the car) than on the drivers side. When placed correctly it applies a little more pressure to the quarter window seal from the inside. It does not have to cover the quarter window seal, but it needs to be closer than is initially was on my car.

The first pictures indicate the size and position of the stiff rubber cylinder. In the second picture I have peeled off the door gasket (it comes off very easily and snaps right back when you reattach it). It is way easier to do the next step if you peel off the door gasket. Then you need an appropriate tool to move the rubber cylinder. As you can see from the second picture there is a tiny hole in the door gasket. I found a barbecue spit in the kitchen that seemed to fit the bill. Rigid, thin and long, I guess the match in the third picture would have fit the bill as well, but I went with the longer one. After pushing the rubber cylinder a little more towards the rear (see picture 4) I went for a test drive. Oh joy! No more wind noise.

Be careful not to move the rubber cylinder to much at first, it is quite a tight fit inside the door gasket. If you want to move it further towards the front of the car, there is a hole in the door gasket on the other side of the rubber cylinder as well.

I guess this could be the solution for this exact problem, only time will tell if the noise comes back. But so far it has saved me the pain of being separated from my X!

This is where the rubber cylinder is located after I moved it.
IMG_6920.JPG

Door gasket peeled off and the location of the hole where the barbecue spit is inserted.
FullSizeRender.jpg

The weapon of choice
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Be careful not to pierce the door seal.
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Most of the issues reported came from those cars that were manufactured in the first couple of months of production. My car was produced in the first week of production and my car has spend 4 out of 6 months in for service and there are still unresolved issues. At one point I had over 25 outstanding items. I am not saying there are now no issues with production but no where a fraction what was being experienced four months ago.

One the hardest problems to resolve was the wind noise. From my understanding they replaced both the triangular as well as main driver and passenger front windows, all seals and latches. As of the last time it came back from service the wind noise was almost completely gone. I had the car for about 3-4 weeks with almost no wind noise but have now developed a problem where when the driver door closes it goes on top of the chrome rather than against the seal leaving a big gap.

From what I have read new issues with seals and the spoiler related to the excessive heat being reported in the southern states. Not only is it in the mid to upper nineties during the day it is in the mid to upper eighties at night.

A Tesla porter is scheduled to come to my house on Wednesday and pick my car up and drop off a loaner. I just hope when they fix this problem it doesn't bring back the wind noise.

I am down to a couple of minor issues and there is still one major problem. They need to replace the entire hatchback assembly. The assembly is on order. Once they get in the rear hatchback they will need my car at least four weeks to complete the installation.

I have seen major improvements with the service center over time. They have also offered me consideration for the inconvieance they have put me through.

My recommendation is don't take it immediately in for service after taking delivery. Enjoy driving the car and give it three or four weeks and then take it in and get everything fixed at once.