Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winding Roads with Parked Cars = Collission Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing happens to me on my street leaving for work in the morning. Curvy, but nothing extreme, and somewhat uphill with no lane markings and 25 mph. I'll usually get one to three alerts. I generally report them as bugs, but sometimes I can't be bothered.

I have wondered if it's because the GPS seems to be off a little when I pull out of the garage. Possibly the parked cars are seen as in the road or even moving as the GPS gets a better position lock. On my way home, I never get the warnings, even though it's the same street, and there are usually more cars parked. One difference is that it's downhill instead of uphill. I suppose I could try going back up the street to see what happens.

How do you report it?

How do you report it?
Press right scroll wheel to activate voice commands. Then say "Bug report: improper forward collision warning for car parked on right." Recently, I've been thinking "spurious" is more accurate and to the point than "improper," but I keep forgetting to say it.

ETA: you have to keep the bug reports fairly short, or the voice recognition cuts you off.

Happens to me frequently on a specific road similar to what you describe. I use the bug report function every time it happens. Our other car is a Volvo XC40 and it does that also, but very very infrequently, on this same road....but with the Volvo it's not the audio alert, it also break checks....and that startles everyone when it happens.

I kind of feel for you. My wife has a similar problem with a street near our house. It's much like what you show (curvy road, cars parked in the street) but in our case there are no lane markings on the road. She says that almost every time she drives my car through that neighborhood, the collision warning goes off. She tries to keep in the center of the road, as far away from the parked cars but it still triggers. I, on the other hand, have only experienced this alarm once out of the dozens of times I've been on that road and I wasn't paying attention to the cars (or lack thereof) that were parked. I think that we drive about the same speed (me maybe a little faster) and about the same position on the road. The only thing that may be different is the time of day we drive there. She tends to go through there in the daytime and I mainly have driven it at night, although there's been several times I've gone in the day (weekends mostly). The few times she has driven that road and I'm in the passenger seat, the alarm hasn't gone off. I keep telling her that she must be hearing things but what she describes, a fast beeping sound, seems to indicate the same problem you have. Here's the street for reference:

View attachment 393185

I live VERY near here (a mile up McAbee) and I get at least two alerts every day on my daily commute due to cars parking around turns. I haven't tried yet I'm hoping changing to late notification might help.

Press right scroll wheel to activate voice commands. Then say "Bug report: improper forward collision warning for car parked on right." Recently, I've been thinking "spurious" is more accurate and to the point than "improper," but I keep forgetting to say it.

ETA: you have to keep the bug reports fairly short, or the voice recognition cuts you off.

Great to know. Thanks

Same issue in my neighborhood. Same location. Same black pick up. Happens with no other cars. I even purposely drove toward some cars further up the street at a bend that were parked (and turned away before I got too close). Nothing happened. Craziest thing. I thought the black truck has some kind of sensor or something the car was picking up.

Thanks, I'll try to drive more in the center, I'm already hugging the yellow line, hate to go over it into a blind corner. I did highlight that there is a very visible double yellow line, I think the Tesla should be smart enough to track that and see the bend. In defense, on one of the common places, there's a break in the yellow line to accommodate a T-intersection, but for the other spots, it stays solid, and I'd think Tesla should be able to track the bend in the yellow and calculate the distance where a sudden car that is still >X-distance away from yellow line would be assumed to be a parked vehicle. That'd help in all but one of these blind corners (not the one with the intention yellow line break).

In somewhat different behavior from a previous posted, my car doesn't slow down or intervene, it's just a very sharp and sudden audible alert and then the red car icon on the screen, there's no actual intervention as I think the car sorts out that it's not a threat between the time of the alert and when it would intervene.

Finally, I'll attest the audible alert is quite loud and always makes your heart skip a beat, so not something you'd just hear. My wife wouldn't tolerate it, that's for sure.
I also live in Austin and have often had the crap scared out of me with that warning while driving here in my neighborhood. In my case it happens on a narrow road that allows parking on both sides. On this road it can be difficult (if not impossible) for cars to pass each other at thee same time in opposite directions.There isn't a yellow line so I tend to drive towards the center to stay away from the parked cars to my right never the less that annoying warning sounds every once in a while.

I also get this warning every time at this one particular bend. There's always the same SUV parked there so it's hard to know if it's the particular vehicle or the type of bend or both that's causing it. It's a low-traffic residential street with no lane markings so I tend to drive more towards the center of the road, but it goes off no matter how far away I am from the SUV.

I've also received more random alarms than I have in the past. I'm considering turning it off because too many false positives can be as bad no alarm at all because it's causing me to ignore it.

Hmm... I'm not sure what my setting is at but I'll check tonight. I don't believe that driver profiles would have different settings but I'll look at that too.

OT: Were you living in Mtn. View before? My parent's house was located in 94043. Been in 95120 for almost 19 years.
I lived in MTV in 2001 to 2003 but worked there for nearly 20 years as well. Lived here (by Quicksilver) since 2003.

Hmm... I'm not sure what my setting is at but I'll check tonight. I don't believe that driver profiles would have different settings but I'll look at that too.
Replying to myself... My forward collision warning was set to Early. I've changed it to the middle setting (Normal?). Did it an hour ago and I've already forgotten the name of the setting....