Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window in closed position after opening passenger door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Hoping someone can blow me with my problem. When I open my door (rear passenger side) the window slides down - as it should. However I soon as I let the handle go (outside) or the button inside the window slides back up. If I press the button again (inside), as long as I hold it the window stays in the lowered position. Same for the handle: if I hold the handle again the window stays in the lowered position, so I can close the door and push it in all the way.
I can’t just close the door because it would hit the frame.
Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Have you tried calibrating the Tesla power window actuator? From the driver's seat window panel control lower each window, one at a time, all the way while holding the window button for 15 seconds. Then raise the window holding the window button for 15 seconds. The actuator should now be calibrated. Repeat for the other windows. This may help fix your issue with the window. (The door(s) should be closed when calibrating the window(s).

Have you tried calibrating the Tesla power window actuator? From the driver's seat window panel control lower each window, one at a time, all the way while holding the window button for 15 seconds. Then raise the window holding the window button for 15 seconds. The actuator should now be calibrated. Repeat for the other windows. This may help fix your issue with the window. (The door(s) should be closed when calibrating the window(s).
I am having this same problem. How did you get it fixed?

It would help if everybody who is having this issue post the software version running on their MY and the build date of their MY (look at the MFD BY TESLA door sticker with their VIN also on it that has month and year built in upper left corner. For ex 05/20 = May 2020).

Then if it is magically/automatically fixed later on, reply to update how it got fixed and post your software version again.

If we all did this then others can benefit from this thread later on...

It could be a bug in software if many are seeing it, unless all of these were built the same time and it is some sort of manufacturing defect/alignment thing.

Frameless windows should lowered before the door is opened and only go back up fully after the door is closed again. I do not know Tesla's logic and how these are controlled, hardware only system vs software+sensors, but they should be using the door latch mechanism as part of that decision to know when the door is fully closed again so it can close the window. So perhaps that latch is not fully open when the door opens, or a wire from that latch has come off, or there is a software bug not seeing that open latch and the MY thinks the door never opened?

Those having issues, are the doors closing fully, flush when closed? Perhaps the latch needs to be adjusted? When the door is opened, look at the latch and see if it is opened all the way, if not then perhaps try to gently open it a bit more and see if that lowers the window. If fooling around with the latch fixes the problem, you know what to tell the service guys.

Check your puddle lights. When one is out or not connected this happens. If you have aftermarket ones put the original back in.

If you had your windows tinted recently they prob took the door panel off and forgot to plug the light back in.
Yep, was going to write the same thing. I had this problem in our Model 3 after changing the puddle lights. One didn't have a great connection and all it took was reinserting it to make the window work properly again. I tracked this down because I noticed when I pushed on the puddle light, the window would drop the 1/2 inch that it normally did when opened. Loose connection was all it was.

Yep, was going to write the same thing. I had this problem in our Model 3 after changing the puddle lights. One didn't have a great connection and all it took was reinserting it to make the window work properly again. I tracked this down because I noticed when I pushed on the puddle light, the window would drop the 1/2 inch that it normally did when opened. Loose connection was all it was.

Ha me too. Same exact thing.

Crazy that puddle lights can affect the window sensing and operation. Must be a bad ground? Poor design. An accessory should not impact a major system like the window. Reminds me of an issue I experienced with my other car.

My Acura has the keyless fob and the touch door handles to lock and unlock from the outside. Not long after I got the car, one rainy day the temps fell fast and everything iced over. Not only did those door handles not work, which was not a surprise, but my dash display was indicating transmission issue, AWD issue, active headlight issue, and one more thing. I had no idea what was going on but the dealer was only a couple of miles away so I drove directly there to have them check it out. Long story short, apparently the internal bus in the car was getting corrupted from the circuit board inside the door handle that got wet. What happened to conformal coating Acura??? Jeez...

Reactions: Daekwan
I’ve got no puddle lights. Everything is basically stock.The issue is the same as the original post. When I open the door, the window goes down, but a second later the window goes up and I can’t close my door. Ive got to slide it down and close it and then go to the app and have it slide up. This just started.

This is for a Model 3, my MY has had no issues.

Obviously something has changed recently because my M3 LR has started doing this on the rear driver's side door (UK). Software version 2021.12.25.7. I've tried the window reset mention above but that didn't resolve it. Service appointment has been booked. Passenger didn't notice so tried to close the door. Luckily the window didn't break but the silver trim surrounding the door is now scratched (grrr!)

Reactions: hcdavis3
My service appointment will happen between 12-4, I’ll keep you guys updated what happens. Also, I’ve noticed that when I open the door, the car doesn’t show its open. And when I close it, the car stays on and the lights and etc stay on. I have to manually turn everything off.

welp, this just happened to me yesterday in my M3P... so random, i never changed the puddle light in my passenger door. now the trim got all scuffed. glad the window didn't shatter or anything. of course the earliest service apt (mobile) is 15th.

Hi,
Hoping someone can blow me with my problem. When I open my door (rear passenger side) the window slides down - as it should. However I soon as I let the handle go (outside) or the button inside the window slides back up. If I press the button again (inside), as long as I hold it the window stays in the lowered position. Same for the handle: if I hold the handle again the window stays in the lowered position, so I can close the door and push it in all the way.

Hi,
Hi everyone,

I just had this issue fixed….see photo.
9D4EABD2-BBCD-4B01-9060-1118ACD3ECB1.jpeg