Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window lowers/opens after I park and walk away - 3 days in a row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After parking, I get a text from Teslafi saying my window has been open for 15 minutes (that's the time interval setting).

When I go to Tesla app on my phone, controls, I can see the window is down b/c the button in upper left shows "Close" (and not vent, which is what it normally shows when the window is closed).

After 3rd time, I turned off BT and inspected my car. Didn't seem that the windows were lowered. But when I turned BT back on and hit "Close" on the controls tab of the app, I could hear a window move/close. Need to repeat and see which one.

Has anyone else had this?

Was wondering if Teslafi is just sending me false positives, eg my window is not really open.

Or whether something is causing my window or windows to open after I park and walk away.

Never had this before after more than 1 year.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

It's happened twice for me. I never figured out if the window just lowered randomly, long after I've been away from the car. But I speculate that it happens immediately after --- that it lowers because it thinks theres an obstacle while raising the window shut , when closing the door.

Windows will drop slightly (maybe 5-10mm) when door is closed in cold weather to reduce issues if window freezes - its just enough to clear the trim at top of door so door can be opened if window is frozen 'closed' - only happens when door is closed if under the threshold - if door is closed and it is above threshold, then temperature drops, you will have an issue if window frozen.

However, I do not believe the app should be saying that window is open as this is a normal operation in cold weather. Ours randomly does this, infact as I wrote this, I just got the TeslaFi notification. I believe that windows need a recalibration - but as we have a service visit soon, I will leave it to them.

upload_2020-1-22_8-50-41.png

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I have precisely this problem. Mobile service came... and of course, it did not show up. Sigh.

In my case, I get in the car, put all windows up from the driver's controls. I get out of the car. The rear window is completely up. I close the driver's driver's door _from the outside_ the rear passenger window drops slightly. And only that window moves.

Then I get the alert from teslafi that the window is open.

OP here. Quick update. Should have mentioned that this happened during first real cold snap in NJ where we are. So I wonder if this is a "feature" as some have speculated added to prevent windows freezing, since I never had this problem in the the winter of 2019. And I think there was an update somewhere in the past year to address several cold weather issues.

Also, as I mentioned, I am more aware of this now that Teslafi is running, and I have the setting on to text me if it detects the window open for more than 15 minutes. Otherwise, doubt I would habe looked in the controls section of the app to see the window button showed "close" rather than vent - that is the only way one would know.

Anyone know what outside temp the cold weather protections are supposed to kick in?

Also, sounds like there may be a window calibration issue, and several suggested remedies. Anyone know for sure what the best way to perform this oneself is?

Thanks in advance!

OP here. Quick update. Should have mentioned that this happened during first real cold snap in NJ where we are. So I wonder if this is a "feature" as some have speculated added to prevent windows freezing, since I never had this problem in the the winter of 2019. And I think there was an update somewhere in the past year to address several cold weather issues.

Also, as I mentioned, I am more aware of this now that Teslafi is running, and I have the setting on to text me if it detects the window open for more than 15 minutes. Otherwise, doubt I would habe looked in the controls section of the app to see the window button showed "close" rather than vent - that is the only way one would know.

Anyone know what outside temp the cold weather protections are supposed to kick in?

Also, sounds like there may be a window calibration issue, and several suggested remedies. Anyone know for sure what the best way to perform this oneself is?

Thanks in advance!

Also, pretty sure I am not bumping the window controls myself from inside the car, but will take extra care to make sure I don't.

3 days in a row seems way too much of a pattern for this to be accidental window opening...

We have had this happen twice. First time was after the car had been parked at the airport for a day or so. I noticed that at least two of the windows were slightly down. I thought that maybe I had accidentally pressed "vent" in the app, which would have been foolish considering it was around 0 degC. I can't confirm whether all four windows were down the same amount.

Then it happened to my wife, who noticed when she got in after work that the passenger door was a little bit wet from the rain that was coming from the passenger window which was open a couple of centimeters.

Haven't had it happen since (but I've only had the car for a month). Software was 2019.40.50.7 both times (and still is).

Pressing the close button on the app will move all 4 windows, so you can't tell which one caused the TeslaFi alert or the app to show "Close".

The API actually has all 4 windows' status separate, so if you use the API, you can find out which window is triggering the alert. TeslaFi doesn't expose this info in their API or email (obviously). Windows Down Alert / General / TeslaFi

The windows do drop slightly in colder weather, which I think is why they are more likely to show as not being closed.

You can use the procedure in the manual to recalibrate the window position. It helped for me.

Screenshot_20200126-080952.jpg

Pressing the close button on the app will move all 4 windows, so you can't tell which one caused the TeslaFi alert or the app to show "Close".

The API actually has all 4 windows' status separate, so if you use the API, you can find out which window is triggering the alert. TeslaFi doesn't expose this info in their API or email (obviously). Windows Down Alert / General / TeslaFi

The windows do drop slightly in colder weather, which I think is why they are more likely to show as not being closed.

You can use the procedure in the manual to recalibrate the window position. It helped for me.

View attachment 504387

Very helpful post, Tz00. Particularly since I had just turned on the TeslaFi notifications for "window down". I received one last night via PushOver. Here are the circumstances:

• Car had just woken up from sleep at 3:02am in preparation for scheduled charging at 3:17am (using the "ready by" charging function)
  • Car was in my garage
  • Outside temperature was 8.5 degC
  • Only the passenger window opened (according to the TeslaFi raw data feed)
I checked the car before closing the windows. The passenger window was not noticeably open in this case.

I will try recalibrating the passenger window and see if the problem re-occurs.

On another note, while it is great that we can diagnose (and possibly fix) these kind of issues on our own, it is concerning that the problem occurs in the first place.

Windows will drop slightly (maybe 5-10mm) when door is closed in cold weather to reduce issues if window freezes - its just enough to clear the trim at top of door so door can be opened if window is frozen 'closed' - only happens when door is closed if under the threshold - if door is closed and it is above threshold, then temperature drops, you will have an issue if window frozen.

However, I do not believe the app should be saying that window is open as this is a normal operation in cold weather. Ours randomly does this, infact as I wrote this, I just got the TeslaFi notification. I believe that windows need a recalibration - but as we have a service visit soon, I will leave it to them.

View attachment 503034

If this cold weather opening theory is true (I hadn't heard it before), it is not working properly on my car. Per my previous post in this thread, only one of my windows "opened" last night.