TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Window Mysteriously Open

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by arondaniel, Nov 12, 2018.

1. arondaniel

arondaniel Il Sessanta Caricato

Yeah. So my wife comes back to her car after the gym and the passenger window is all the way open. In a rainstorm of course.

Now the Tesla service hold time is "over an hour". So, like... WTF? She's pretty darn sure she didn't just decide to roll it all the way down and leave it that way when its raining and 45 degrees out. :mad:

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-LR M3AWD

On the Model S, if the 12V battery is getting low, the driver's window will go down - at least that is the folklore. I've never had that happen on my Model S - only a 12V battery low warning. The idea of the window lowering is that if you loose 12V power, then you can't get into the car, so the window lowers to allow you access.

3. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

4. arondaniel

Well, it's a theory I suppose. My Model S never did that either, but it has shown 12V battery warnings on the console which her car never did.

5. arondaniel

Thanks for the link. I'll try the window reset procedure. At first I thought it might be related to a center console screen protector I installed yesterday but I can't even find a open window option anywhere.

This thread on the Tesla forum says someone had a "a left side control computer defect" also: Window rolls down by itself overnight | Tesla

6. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

I'd first observe it for a while. It is really easy to push the window buttons on the driver door while exiting the car without even noticing. Not the most ergonomic design ...

7. NickFie

NickFie Member

Passenger window in my wife's P3D- has gone down spontaneously twice. She had parked in the same area both times. She's positive she did not accidentally hit the switch to lower the window. It was up when she left the car, down when she returned.

Car has been at the Service Center for a few days now to handle that problem, some error messages that popped up and vanished and to address panel gaps spotted at delivery. My wife's traveling so she doesn't miss the car.

8. arondaniel

Damn... not cool. Please let me know if/what they replace!

I was also wondering if there was a way to remotely monitor window status or to close them. Doesn't seem to be available in the JSON API (Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary) although I could check for random frunk openings though!

9. super20g

super20g Member

My rear windows have spontaneously went partially down twice. Once in a rain storm and I found it 8 hrs later. Thankfully no one broke into the car and a soggy brand new car is all I had to deal with. They checked the logs remotely when I provided the timestamps and they couldn't see a reason for it. Not the best feeling knowing your windows can just spontaneously roll down...