Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window regulator troubleshooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS85D. Driver's rear window is now making some slight crunchy sounds and seems a bit off when going down all the way and will only bounce back if trying to get it back up. Only way to get it to actually get back up is with a bunch of very quick clicks of the up button and immediate releases.

I'm assuming this is the regulator? And from what I've seen it's likely either a worn plastic ferrule for the cable, or the cable itself is shredding?
And the regulator is about $240 from Tesla and about $150 for Tesla to install?

If I pull the door panel can I even see whether it's the cable or ferrule? Or is it all pretty hidden until removed?

Any places other than used on ebay for a cheaper replacement? Worth going for the Gruber upgrade?

Really don't want to dump another $400+ into a regulator, but replacing it certainly looks a good bit fiddly at best...

I did this a few months back. I couldn't see it until I removed the whole thing. Getting the assembly in and out was pretty much unbolting and bolting it back on in reverse, but adjusting it for the wind noise was annoying.

Unless you're selling the car right after the repair, I don't recommend the used on eBay since you don't know how much wear it's been through. I didn't use Gruber's upgraded assembly, but their price seems fair.

Reactions: livesmith
I did this a few months back. I couldn't see it until I removed the whole thing. Getting the assembly in and out was pretty much unbolting and bolting it back on in reverse, but adjusting it for the wind noise was annoying.

Unless you're selling the car right after the repair, I don't recommend the used on eBay since you don't know how much wear it's been through. I didn't use Gruber's upgraded assembly, but their price seems fair.
Thanks. I took another look at a video of it being done, I might try it myself... Well, depending on how this works out with trying to get the part... I couldn't really find a replacement anywhere so am trying to get a quote for one from my service center(first time trying this). So we'll see how it goes. The service center is over an hour away for me. And not sure what time frame I'd expect a reply submitting a request for just the part but they still put it in as a scheduled visit for next Tuesday...

Just so you're aware, I had a non-handy family member help me with holding things steady while I made adjustments. Annoying part was taking door apart and putting it back together numerous times. I also had extra plastic clips for the door.

Then again, maybe doing it late past midnight might've have had something to do with that (LOL). Was forecasted to rain/snow the next day the car needed to be used and the window was stuck halfway down.

Just so you're aware, I had a non-handy family member help me with holding things steady while I made adjustments. Annoying part was taking door apart and putting it back together numerous times. I also had extra plastic clips.
Hmm... From what I could tell watching the video, I thought the alignment was just a couple screws behind plugs at the bottom of the door, so you could put everything together, then just adjust with those two bolts from the bottom without taking everything apart again? Then just put the covers back on when all is good?

I think I used the extra hands for helping me keep the glass up so I could have access to the bolts to separate it from the regulator. IIRC, the bolts at the bottom wasn't our problem. We didn't have the assembly as far forward as possible. I think I had him apply that pressure while I tightened things up.

Hopefully you don't have as much trouble as I did. Good Luck & happy wrenching to you!

Reactions: livesmith
I think I used the extra hands for helping me keep the glass up so I could have access to the bolts to separate it from the regulator. IIRC, the bolts at the bottom wasn't our problem. We didn't have the assembly as far forward as possible. I think I had him apply that pressure while I tightened things up.

Hopefully you don't have as much trouble as I did. Good Luck & happy wrenching to you!
Did you get your regulator from the service center? If so, how long until you get a reply with price and ability to pick up?

This was my brother's 2013 MS that I worked on. I think he paid $240 for it, but I don't recall on how long it took him to get the regulator from the service center. Sorry I can't be of much help there.

I did all of my door handles, and even door latch. But the Window Regulator I let Tesla Ranger do. I think at the time it was like 120 for the labor. 2015 85D here also
I'm pretty tempted to let service do it. Schedule isn't great for available days though. How does it work with the rangers? It just says 8am-1pm. Will they give me a heads up when they get closer as to when they might actually be there? Can they start work if I'm not there for a short period of time?

I'm pretty tempted to let service do it. Schedule isn't great for available days though. How does it work with the rangers? It just says 8am-1pm. Will they give me a heads up when they get closer as to when they might actually be there? Can they start work if I'm not there for a short period of time?
I've worked with rangers before. I think they can work on it as long as you give them the go ahead.