Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, Window Regulator Motor Faulty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had to replace their window lift motor in their Model S?

I bought a window regulator from Napa for around $100. I assumed it came with the motor but I was wrong.

I installed the new regulator using the old motor. My window still only raises about an inch and then just stops. It goes down easily to fully closed, but can't get it more than 1" open or so. I think I burned up the lift motor over the past few months waiting to replace the mechanism.

Anyone else have experience in this? This is my driver's door so fairly critical... I wonder if I could pull the motor from another door while I get this part on order...?

Has anyone had to replace their window lift motor in their Model S?

I bought a window regulator from Napa for around $100. I assumed it came with the motor but I was wrong.

I installed the new regulator using the old motor. My window still only raises about an inch and then just stops. It goes down easily to fully closed, but can't get it more than 1" open or so. I think I burned up the lift motor over the past few months waiting to replace the mechanism.

Anyone else have experience in this? This is my driver's door so fairly critical... I wonder if I could pull the motor from another door while I get this part on order...?
I'm now having exactly the same issue on driver's door, glass going just 2-3 inches up only and then stucked. If the window is moving, it's almost certainly not the motor, but broken something in the mechanism (the plastic ferrule or some of the wheels or so), watch this.

I had similar issue 2.5 years ago. Thought no way its the motor testing with the assembly out. But was the motor and magically fixed it. Still working

Last edited:
I replaced the rear driver's side regulator last week. Only place I could find was Tesla service. $230. Replacing it went pretty smoothly considering I've never replaced one before.
In my case the window would go down but then only go to an inch or two and was making some scratchy sound. Had to keep pulling the switch repeatedly to get the window up.
Turned out on mine the regulator/motor bolts were slightly loose and that plastic assembly was broken in several pieces.

I removed and tinkered with this regulator for a while. The ferrule was definitely broken. I'm pretty sure the motor is burnt out also.

With just the motor connected to the car, the motor and drive spindle spin freely both up and down. When I put the motor on the wire frame regulator and try to raise / lower it doesn't work as well. Lowering is perfect, moves very quickly. When I try to get the motor to move the regulator to the up / closed position it moves only a few inches and then sort of grinds to a stop. From there, I can't get it to go up any further. It goes back down no problem.

That is basically a bench test with the regulator in my hand but attached to the car. This is without the weight of the window, just regulator and motor, and I'm still having the problem.

The way it behaves could be from a burnt out motor. BUT it is kind of acting like there is a software limitation that is slowing it to a stop. It is a bit odd. If I had a spare motor I wouldn't be wasting time talking about this. I'll have to order one and it may take a few weeks to get here as I live in Hawaii.

I was surprised when I realized the replacement regulator I purchased did not include a motor even though the add describes it as "powered." The add meant it is for a powered application. The pictures in the ads are the give away, no motor in the middle of the image.