Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window seals peeling...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after about 5 months with my tesla model 3 my back window seal started peeling. Local Service advised me it was the sun and to have my windows tinted. After tinting a few month later the rest of them started to peel / discolor. They now are saying its from an external influence and will not cover it. Possibly the tint or lotion. No one sits in my back seat and I hardly park in the sun. I go from garage to garage. Does anyone else have this problem?

Photo Jan 03, 12 28 33 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 03, 12 28 13 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 03, 12 28 13 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 03, 12 22 59 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 12, 8 21 36 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 12, 8 21 13 AM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
The seals around my windows are all kinda bumpy like that... I took a pic of one spot in particular that was jutting out kinda like that last image you posted, and requested it to be put on my due bill... but honestly, all the seals look uneven and bumpy to me... but as far as peeling or coming apart, not yet.......... I only had my car a week though. :( honestly, some pretty poorly assembled cars, that’s all I can say...

1. i can't see what you're referring to in the first couple pics as i don't see anything evident.
2. dealerships can't tell you to make aftermarket modifications to your car, especially if they act like it voids the warranty. i would take issue with that.
3. there are a couple threads touching on those rubber seals being wavy, etc., with a few people having them replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: laketica
The seals around my windows are all kinda bumpy like that... I took a pic of one spot in particular that was jutting out kinda like that last image you posted, and requested it to be put on my due bill... but honestly, all the seals look uneven and bumpy to me... but as far as peeling or coming apart, not yet.......... I only had my car a week though. :( honestly, some pretty poorly assembled cars, that’s all I can say...

Mine were pretty bumpy, but I "finished the install" on behalf of the factory, by hitting them with a rubber mallet. You have whack them with a mallet to get them to seat properly. Pushing them by hand won't do it.

• Informative
Reactions: laketica
1. i can't see what you're referring to in the first couple pics as i don't see anything evident.
2. dealerships can't tell you to make aftermarket modifications to your car, especially if they act like it voids the warranty. i would take issue with that.
3. there are a couple threads touching on those rubber seals being wavy, etc., with a few people having them replaced.

It’s hard to take a picture. It’s a different texture as if it’s melting. It gets worst and worst month by month. The 2nd pic is ripped

they made a recommendation then said they shouldn’t have.

Attachments

• 7CB9F1FC-81A0-4E04-B887-57593FAF37B2.jpeg
    7CB9F1FC-81A0-4E04-B887-57593FAF37B2.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 122
  • F6B0FDFA-33AF-44E8-BCD7-7828713E2409.jpeg
    F6B0FDFA-33AF-44E8-BCD7-7828713E2409.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 120
I just bought a 2018 Tesla with 6700 miles I have this issue on one of my windows. Does Tesla mobile repair this? Or do I need to take it in for service?

Mine isn't so severe, but I reported it within my first 100 miles, so I'll be having something similar to this fixed by the service center... tomorrow. I think it's just an adhesive that's coming off... really, these are pretty poorly made cars with some good tech in them. =T and I do not know the answer to your q of mobile vs service center, sorry! I have several issues on my due bill that will be addressed all at one time, so mine had to be service center.

Reactions: borijess3
I just bought a 2018 Tesla with 6700 miles I have this issue on one of my windows. Does Tesla mobile repair this? Or do I need to take it in for service?

they fixed my vertical seals but not the horizontal where the window goes into. They said it’s to expensive $700 per door. They believe it’s not a defect which is hard to believe. It happened to 3 sides in 6 months and now the 4th side. My car is always parked in covered stalls

they fixed my vertical seals but not the horizontal where the window goes into. They said it’s to expensive $700 per door. They believe it’s not a defect which is hard to believe. It happened to 3 sides in 6 months and now the 4th side. My car is always parked in covered stalls

How can it be an issue for vertical but not horizontal .That sounds like they are giving us some BS .

I had this issue as well. What the service center does is they wiggle the sections back and forth until the crease or wrinkle is gone. It’s nothing major and it is annoying to look at but there’s no worry for it. If the plastic is old, what could happen is the material could rip while they are trying to fix the problem. Then they will need to replace the whole thing.

Nothing to do with adhesive and what not.