TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Window seals peeling...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by 07stuntar1, Jan 3, 2020.

1. 07stuntar1

07stuntar1 Member

So after about 5 months with my tesla model 3 my back window seal started peeling. Local Service advised me it was the sun and to have my windows tinted. After tinting a few month later the rest of them started to peel / discolor. They now are saying its from an external influence and will not cover it. Possibly the tint or lotion. No one sits in my back seat and I hardly park in the sun. I go from garage to garage. Does anyone else have this problem?

Photo Jan 03, 12 28 33 PM.jpg Photo Jan 03, 12 28 13 PM.jpg Photo Jan 03, 12 28 13 PM.jpg Photo Jan 03, 12 22 59 PM.jpg Photo Dec 12, 8 21 36 AM.jpg Photo Dec 12, 8 21 13 AM.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. laketica

laketica Member

The seals around my windows are all kinda bumpy like that... I took a pic of one spot in particular that was jutting out kinda like that last image you posted, and requested it to be put on my due bill... but honestly, all the seals look uneven and bumpy to me... but as far as peeling or coming apart, not yet.......... I only had my car a week though. :( honestly, some pretty poorly assembled cars, that’s all I can say...

3. 640k

640k Member

1. i can't see what you're referring to in the first couple pics as i don't see anything evident.
    2. dealerships can't tell you to make aftermarket modifications to your car, especially if they act like it voids the warranty. i would take issue with that.
    3. there are a couple threads touching on those rubber seals being wavy, etc., with a few people having them replaced.

• Informative x 1
  4. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

Mine were pretty bumpy, but I "finished the install" on behalf of the factory, by hitting them with a rubber mallet. You have whack them with a mallet to get them to seat properly. Pushing them by hand won't do it.

• Informative x 1
  5. laketica

laketica Member

Just had my windows tinted so honestly, even though this is on my due bill, I’m a bit afraid to let them do anything with it for fear of my tint...... Bumpiness, so be it... as long as it still works... ><

6. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

4th pic looks like the tinter touched your door panel with a heat gun. Happened to my previous car and they paid for a new door panel.

7. 07stuntar1

07stuntar1 Member

the top picture was actually my finger. It felt a little soft so I pressed on it

8. 07stuntar1

07stuntar1 Member

It’s hard to take a picture. It’s a different texture as if it’s melting. It gets worst and worst month by month. The 2nd pic is ripped

they made a recommendation then said they shouldn’t have.

Attached Files:

9. borijess3

borijess3 Member

I just bought a 2018 Tesla with 6700 miles I have this issue on one of my windows. Does Tesla mobile repair this? Or do I need to take it in for service?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  10. laketica

laketica Member

Mine isn't so severe, but I reported it within my first 100 miles, so I'll be having something similar to this fixed by the service center... tomorrow. I think it's just an adhesive that's coming off... really, these are pretty poorly made cars with some good tech in them. =T and I do not know the answer to your q of mobile vs service center, sorry! I have several issues on my due bill that will be addressed all at one time, so mine had to be service center.

• Like x 1
  11. 07stuntar1

07stuntar1 Member

they fixed my vertical seals but not the horizontal where the window goes into. They said it’s to expensive $700 per door. They believe it’s not a defect which is hard to believe. It happened to 3 sides in 6 months and now the 4th side. My car is always parked in covered stalls

• Like x 1
  12. borijess3

borijess3 Member

How can it be an issue for vertical but not horizontal .That sounds like they are giving us some BS .

13. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

I had this issue as well. What the service center does is they wiggle the sections back and forth until the crease or wrinkle is gone. It’s nothing major and it is annoying to look at but there’s no worry for it. If the plastic is old, what could happen is the material could rip while they are trying to fix the problem. Then they will need to replace the whole thing.

Nothing to do with adhesive and what not.

• Like x 1
  14. 07stuntar1

07stuntar1 Member

They claim it’s from an outside influence. They told me to tint my windows and now they are saying it’s because of the tint. It happened before the tint. Pretty much stuck.

15. borijess3

borijess3 Member

Just got my seals fixed yesterday from service. I had my windows tinted no issues repairing them.

16. 07stuntar1

07stuntar1 Member

Do you have pictures?