Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting in Atlanta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did Huper Optik Autobahn i3 ceramic tint at TintSmith in Lawrenceville, 4 windows, $380. Didn't tint the windshield because its illegal in Georgia. Factory tint on the roof is sufficient for me. Can't find any reliable information on whether or not the Model Y rear hatch glass is factory tinted or just dyed.

I did Huper Optik Autobahn i3 ceramic tint at TintSmith in Lawrenceville, 4 windows, $380. Didn't tint the windshield because its illegal in Georgia. Factory tint on the roof is sufficient for me. Can't find any reliable information on whether or not the Model Y rear hatch glass is factory tinted or just dyed.
The rear hatch glass is just dyed. The UV/infrared protection is limited to the glass roof.

Reactions: MY1stEV
Was speaking to a tint shop and they said because the rear window is dark already don’t go for tint on that back window. Confused if I should or should not get a tint on that window. Appreciate any thoughts from this group.
Folks often conflate dark glass with glass that will reject heat and UV. You should ask yourself why you're tinting your windows. Is it for privacy, performance or a combination thereof? If you're only concerned with privacy, do nothing and leave the glass as-is. If you would like to realize relief from the heat of the sun and it's harmful UV rays, then you'll want to tint the glass. Does that make sense?

I would also question a shop who provided counsel to not tint the rear window without providing a proper explanation or asking probing questions to ensure your needs and expectations are met.

Was speaking to a tint shop and they said because the rear window is dark already don’t go for tint on that back window. Confused if I should or should not get a tint on that window. Appreciate any thoughts from this group.
Depending on what line of tint you use, you could put a ceramic 70 or 80 on the rear window for heat/UV rejection and it shouldn't darken the window that much (not that you can see much out of it in the first place).

Depending on what line of tint you use, you could put a ceramic 70 or 80 on the rear window for heat/UV rejection and it shouldn't darken the window that much (not that you can see much out of it in the first place).
Folks often conflate dark glass with glass that will reject heat and UV. You should ask yourself why you're tinting your windows. Is it for privacy, performance or a combination thereof? If you're only concerned with privacy, do nothing and leave the glass as-is. If you would like to realize relief from the heat of the sun and it's harmful UV rays, then you'll want to tint the glass. Does that make sense?

I would also question a shop who provided counsel to not tint the rear window without providing a proper explanation or asking probing questions to ensure your needs and expectations are met.

Thanks both.

I’ll go for tinting all windows using:
70% for windshield
25% for driver and front passenger
40% for rear passenger windows
40% for rear window (hatch)

That should take care of the heat (primary concern) and also get to a decent look (secondary consideration)

Appreciate helping think through.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Shop: AP3 Atlanta
Tint material - XPel XR Plus (98% heat rejection)
$300 for tinting front two windows
$350 for tinting the windshield

Shop: The Tint Guy
Tint material- 3M Crystalline (99% heat rejection)
$565 for all four windows and rear window
$300 for windshield

I’m interested in other quotes as well / data points from the community here so we can make our own decisions.
Sorry I don't have any other quotes but just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I'm considering getting my car tinted and this is SUPER helpful to know. Appreciate it!