Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased my M3 in December and took it directly to a shop to get tinted and wrapped. The only thing I would recommend is going to a place that has experience with Tesla’s as they know how to do rear in one piece.. I did all windows including the roof. Windshield was done as well but clear just to reduce UV. If you do decide to do the Roof don’t go too dark as it could produce a mirror effect which is not desirable to most. The shop I went to uses Xpel and I got their best tint( XPEL XR Plus) All in cost me 900$.

FYI.. The main purpose I did the roof was to reduce UV. Here in Texas it gets very hot and with black interior I didn’t want to get 3rd degree burns sitting in the hot seats.

788E051B-06D1-4054-83B5-85822BFB7901.jpeg

Im probably going to have Ceramic Pro (LuxAutoSpa Nashville(Coolsprings)) Tint my windows Just got PPF (Full front Package) and Ceramic coating from them and did a great job.

@AZAV8R I was wondering if i should get more on the top before summer arrives so how dark is the roof with 20 ontop of the darkness it already is?

they quoted me ~5-600 for the 6 side windows and rear with their KAVACA Ceramic IR Window Tint @35% stupid Laws lol. so i may go for the roof as well but curious what you think of it. for the roof i assume i can go to 25% as there is no law stating roof darkness allowed. i probably will also leave the windshield alone too..
"How dark is the roof w/20%" is a subjective question. I wanted to feel the openness of the glass w/o getting blasted. When the Sun is overhead, I still feel a little heat transfer if I hold my hand closer to the glass and would not look necessarily directly at the Sun through the tint. I can see airplanes, if that's an indicator for you!

• Funny
Reactions: cbigfoot
35% on the front windshield would be dark and very dark at night driving. 70%-80% is ideal for front windshields. 15% for the rear windows and then 25% or 35% for the drivers and passenger doors. Not a huge difference in the TSER for all three of those tints.

Expel and IIumar have great warranties and shops nationwide that can do warranty work if needed. Probably doesn't matter - as never had an issue in the last 6 vehicles tinted.
Yeah no 70 is the darkest allowed on the front here in TN im probably not going to do the front i will get a front shade for when parked During summer (i replaced windshield 4 times in 10 yrs on my civic so dont want to keep retinting the windshield on my car). 15 and 25 are illegal here period sadly(sides front & back) I’m thinking probably going to do 35 all the way around (sides and back and see what they recommend for the top maybe just stick with 35 as well to make the top even and if needed get a top shade too.

Last edited:
Has anyone used 3m Crystalline on their car? I'm choosing between Ceramic and Crystalline. No issues with rf signal interferrence on either?
Never used that 3M film on the last 8 vehicles, some 3M films from reviews on their site had "hazy or foggy" window tinting reviews.

I Prefer Xpel, Suntek CIR Series ceramic or LLumar CTX or their high end - formulaOne Pinnacle. LLumar charcoal CTX is my go too.

Compare specs on the ceramic tints - TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection) % for each. Most are every similar.

Last edited: