Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who doesn’t plan to Tint their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve never really been a big fan of the way Tint made things look and I’ve read some issues with warranty and what not when it comes to Tinting. So I had decided I was happier without it. But I’ve had a few people ask me when I planned on getting my Windows Tinted, just happened again today, and it seems like everyone on here does it as well. So I’m just curious how many people like me have decided not to Tint their windows.
I want to go with no tinting, but I live in Phoenix so I'm going to have to see how it goes. I do have a sunshade for the entire roof, which should help with noise control as well as cut sunlight.

Reactions: 42M3
In NYS your cannot tine ANY windows except maybe the rear. If you take it in for inspection your car won't pass. I suppose it's hard to ID perpetrators of crime with tinted windows

That's not the case. I'm in New York state and see tinted cars all the time. Here's what the law says:

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.

That's not the case. I'm in New York state and see tinted cars all the time. Here's what the law says:

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
You are correct. All I knew was windshield and front windows couldn't hide driver/passenger

So I’ve never really been a big fan of the way Tint made things look and I’ve read some issues with warranty and what not when it comes to Tinting. So I had decided I was happier without it. But I’ve had a few people ask me when I planned on getting my Windows Tinted, just happened again today, and it seems like everyone on here does it as well. So I’m just curious how many people like me have decided not to Tint their windows.
I held out for about a year, then decided to tint the side windows only. I am very happy I did, I feel it enhances the look and I prefer a bit of privacy. A stock Model 3 is like a fish bowl, so much glass!

Attachments

• IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    933.5 KB · Views: 92
I’ve never wanted to tint my windows. Added cost, added risk of break-in, one more thing to possibly go wrong.
And I don’t think it makes the car look any better.

In New Hampshire one is limited to tinting the rear windows up to a max of 35%. There is a medical waiver that allows the front windows to be tinted with the proper medical documentation. I have tinted the rear windows of some of my vehicles because I like the look.

Today I picked up my new MYP in Scottsdale and drove it home. 110F. Spent a few hours in the garage getting things set up, and things put into the car, dripping sweat. Then I took it out for lunch, leaving the climate set to 72F, and then on to the grocery where I at least had some covered parking. The car wasn't as warm as my Infiniti, and I never really noticed the glass roof much. Double pane windows definitely help, and the A/C was able to keep the cabin comfortable. I can see where it would be cooler with tinting, and use less energy to keep cool, but it seems quite OK to me as-is.