Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who doesn’t plan to Tint their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A) A trucker spends a lot more time exposed to the sun.
B) My understanding is that side windows (among others) are already UV protected.

And the windshield isn’t the only glass with UV protection on your Tesla—the rear windows, sunroof, and side windows also come with UV-absorbing technology

If anyone has a more official reference I’d love to see it.

A) A trucker spends a lot more time exposed to the sun.
B) My understanding is that side windows (among others) are already UV protected.

If anyone has a more official reference I’d love to see it.

Tempered glass already blocks almost all UVB and 20% of UVA. The reason why truckers have part of their face and arm that way is likely because they have the window open on that side (a situation tint will do nothing to help).
Should I tint my car's windows? — Auto Expert by John Cadogan - save thousands on your next new car!

Another test found a higher range of UVA blocking for OEM side windows than the above article: 44%-96%
Levels of UV-A Light Protection in Automobile Windshields and Side Windows

The newer Model 3s come with dual pane laminated glass for the front side window and those also block almost all of the UVA. So applying tint to those windows will do practically nothing significant in terms of UV protection given it is practically already all blocked.

The article linked also says not all tint blocks UV-A (at least for factory tint, they noted the BMW tinted windows actually blocked the least UV-A). They note it's possible for a completely clear window to block almost all UV. So when shopping for tint, it's still important to look at the actual specs of the tint.

The real advantage of tint remains IR/heat rejection and blocking visible light for privacy. I applied ceramic tint to my side windows DIY and it helps for heat rejection while driving, but note it does not help much for heat soak (like for example you have the car parked in the sun for a long time). A solar shade (and roof shade) is still drastically more effective at that (even though car will still soak given enough time).