Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who doesn’t plan to Tint their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve never really been a big fan of the way Tint made things look and I’ve read some issues with warranty and what not when it comes to Tinting. So I had decided I was happier without it. But I’ve had a few people ask me when I planned on getting my Windows Tinted, just happened again today, and it seems like everyone on here does it as well. So I’m just curious how many people like me have decided not to Tint their windows.

I would probably be the only other Tesla customer not tinting their windows, putting you in an awkward position, because I am totally uncool, and you are way best off not having people see any kind of connection between the two of us.

I have spent many years watching people design and engineer stuff that works wonderfully until some user gets control over it and modifies it in some way that threatens its viability, so that is my biggest prejudice against tinting. The other one is that I hate seeing somebody I think I know going by in their car but can’t really tell for sure because their window is tinted…

A small minority of Tesla's I see on the road are tinted.

Along the same lines the only thing I did was get a double layer 100% opaque roof screen (Model 3). In the summer the factory tint roof gets almost too hot to touch so the screen both reflects that heat away and insulates the interior. I also think it helps keep the heat in during the winter and I have a pre-heat pump Model 3 so that makes more of a difference. I do miss the ability to see out the roof at times.

Reactions: 42M3
No tint here. Probably my only car ever that doesn't have window tint. Purchased from Tesla a few weeks ago and I'm just digging the nostalgistic virgin look of this 2018.

PXL_20230818_164310959.jpg

Two main reasons for tint:
1) Heat/glare reduction
2) Look/privacy

The first one is definitely predicated on where you live. Tesla being, at least initially, much more prevalent in CA, you have a lot more member of this site in a hot, sunny location. Now, it's a global community and there are many locations represented.
I currently don't have my MS tinted, but I bought it that way last year with the intent to tint. I've recently noticed a few small rock chips in my windshield along with numerous micro chips (seen like a starry night when the sun is on front of me). So I plan to replace the windshield and then tint all. But I too am not a fan of dark tints, so I plan to use 35% on the sides and back, and 70% on the windshield.

The second is truly a personal preference. Some folks think a dark tint looks good on their black car. The car's interior seat color is also a factor, as the light/white seats really brighten the inside so some go darker on their tint to compensate.

So it's really a combination of environmental needs and style preferences.

The newer tint technology, ceramic, does a great job of lessening heat at any LTV. So if you want a more comfortable ride on sunny days, but don't want issues driving at night, there are 70% films that are nearly clear to the naked eye, but still block a decent amount of heat.
Whether you get hot or not, UV damage is a real thing. Most factory windows have a little protection, but not much. Tesla glass roofs do have more UV and IR protection built in, so tinting that seems to be optional, more about look than heat.

Also, a lesser talked about benefit to tint is it's a slight sound deadener. Very small, but real drop in road noise into the cabin.
Tint quality matters. Thicker tint will do more than cheap. I don't recommend cutting costs with tint. You could end up with haze, discoloration, or bubbles around the rear defrost lines. And definitely do your homework on top shops in your area. Need to go where they work on Teslas.

Here's an interesting data point with someone measuring the rejection rate on his non tinted 2019 Model 3.

The rejection rate percentages are impressive. I wonder if the later models have a better rate.

• Informative
Model Y here but no tint for me either. I like other drivers to see my face too and it's just not important to me to have the tinted look. I live in New England so the sun here isn't relentless. I might change my mind if I lived in Arizona or Florida or some other sunny place but I have no plans to make that kind of move.

So I’ve never really been a big fan of the way Tint made things look and I’ve read some issues with warranty and what not when it comes to Tinting. So I had decided I was happier without it. But I’ve had a few people ask me when I planned on getting my Windows Tinted, just happened again today, and it seems like everyone on here does it as well. So I’m just curious how many people like me have decided not to Tint their windows.
In NYS your cannot tine ANY windows except maybe the rear. If you take it in for inspection your car won't pass. I suppose it's hard to ID perpetrators of crime with tinted windows

OP
If the vehicle is a keeper, yes I’m tinting
If the vehicle is temp, I’m not tinting
I see tinting as vehicle interior protection

South Florida here. No tint for me.

When I bought my last Nissan Leaf the dealer tinted every new car. I insisted on no tint but they did it anyway before I picked it up. I test drive it and it felt like I was driving in a cave. I also do a lot of night driving in remote unlit areas and I feel that tint makes it harder to see.

I had the dealer remove the tint before accepting delivery on my leaf.