Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting ruined my Door....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to tint my MY front windows but I do not want the door panels to be removed. Removing the door panels can cause rattles and many other issues. After reading this forum, I changed my mind. I will keep the front windows the way they are.
If you go to a tint shop that removes door panels, you’re not at a very good tint shop.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a tint shop remove door panels.

There are a few specific vehicles that need the door cards removed to do the best installation possible. With that said, Teslas are not one of them. The little dents in the door card shown in your pictures are from a tool that they insert into the internal window sweeps to provide a slight gap between the glass and the sweep. However, the way the tool is installed during installation uses little bungee cords. Those bungee cords pushed against the upholstery and caused the dents in the foam part of the panel.

There are a few specific vehicles that need the door cards removed to do the best installation possible. With that said, Teslas are not one of them. The little dents in the door card shown in your pictures are from a tool that they insert into the internal window sweeps to provide a slight gap between the glass and the sweep. However, the way the tool is installed during installation uses little bungee cords. Those bungee cords pushed against the upholstery and caused the dents in the foam part of the panel.

Would you mind elaborating why removing door panels on Tesla would not help with installation? I thought it would give some extra space and would make it easier to clean the glass and apply the tint? This way, there is no need to install the tool (speed loader?) that you mentioned to provide the gap between the window and the sweep.

All shops and installers do things their own way. I'm not saying one person's methods are better than another. You're right, more room would make things easier to clean the glass, but all things have a potential cost. For myself and my staff, we acknowledge that every time we remove a part of a vehicle it has it's own level of risk of breaking clips or potentially damaging the vehicle in other ways. We simply try to reduce those opportunities where that can happen. My shop doesn't use speed loading tools or ones like it. There is plenty of wiggle room in the sweeps of Tesla windows to not need them. Some vehicles, like Lexus for example, are made in a way where the removal of the door cars (panels) are extremely advantageous to the installation. However the risk of breaking clips is still present, so we keep a supply of new clips just in case.