Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Texas and plan to get all windows (minus the windshield) tinted pretty dark. I am concerned by the rear window. Anyone with experience know if a good tint shop has a tint large enough to cover the rear window with one piece? I am worried about seams or only tinting up to a certain level. I want it to look clean.

In addition I don't want to lose the ability to see outside through the top of the roof. I'll be interested to see what something like a 15% or 10% tint does to the top of the car and visibility. I might just do 20% all the way around.

I live in Texas and plan to get all windows (minus the windshield) tinted pretty dark. I am concerned by the rear window. Anyone with experience know if a good tint shop has a tint large enough to cover the rear window with one piece? I am worried about seams or only tinting up to a certain level. I want it to look clean.

In addition I don't want to lose the ability to see outside through the top of the roof. I'll be interested to see what something like a 15% or 10% tint does to the top of the car and visibility. I might just do 20% all the way around.

I wish I could go that dark. MA only allows 35% all the way around.

As far as the size, you should be OK. A lot of tint places do actual windshields (usually only with a prescription -skin cancer, sensitivity to UV, etc), but they should be able to do the back window. Call around to make sure.

As far as the size, you should be OK. A lot of tint places do actual windshields (usually only with a prescription -skin cancer, sensitivity to UV, etc), but they should be able to do the back window. Call around to make sure.

Thanks!

We are fortunate here. I think the only rule is the front and passenger windows cannot be darker than 20 or maybe 15%. The rear can be anything (not sure maybe even you could paint them black if you wanted to).

I used to live in California and you weren't allowed to tint the front side windows but I did it anyway and never got a ticket. In Texas if you have the front too dark they are supposed to catch it on the yearly safety inspection but in Cali there is no yearly safety inspection so the only way you get caught is if you get a cop that catches it when they pull you over.

Anyone with experience know if a good tint shop has a tint large enough to cover the rear window with one piece? I am worried about seams or only tinting up to a certain level. I want it to look clean.

I guess you saw this post? (sorry, dont remember which thread it came from.. I just have a copy of it since I emailed it to a friend):

That's good to hear. I live in the part of CA with even more extreme temps than Phoenix (mostly at the colder end, heat is probably similar). Really nervous about the glass roof. Especially since my tint guy, who tinted the prototypes, said he couldn't do it with just one piece.

I've never worked with window tint film, but I'm guessing the reason 2 pieces were used is due to length? I've seen windshields tinted, even on a Prius (which has a very large windshield) and its one piece.

Actually I didn't. Thanks for posting that. I had a 2000 Honda Accord and it had silly dots over the back window and it couldn't be fully tinted and it bothered me. I really want my Model 3 tinted so I'll have to look around and figure out how it will be done before I pull the trigger.

I am going to get my windows tinted in my Model3 as well, but not the glass roof. I don't live in Texas and obviously it's different, but at first I am willing to trust Tesla's PR that the glass coating blocks almost 100% of heat and UV.

I am also not concerned about a single piece of tint being large enough to cover the back glass. The rolls they use are at least 4 feet wide.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I am going to get my windows tinted in my Model3 as well, but not the glass roof. I don't live in Texas and obviously it's different, but at first I am willing to trust Tesla's PR that the glass coating blocks almost 100% of heat and UV.

I am also not concerned about a single piece of tint being large enough to cover the back glass. The rolls they use are at least 4 feet wide.

I am not sure if I would want the roof tinted but my issue is the back window. If it is a gradual tint the rear window might look funny if you tinted only up to where the factory tint starts. If you go all the way to the top support beam then the rear window will be much darker than the roof. Then the OCD in me would know that the tint doesn't match and I would want to get the roof tinted.

I'll wait a bit when getting my car and take it to a couple shops before I get it tinted just to assess what I want to do. Even if the heat is ok from the roof glass I might still want to get it tinted so it matches the darkness of the top of the rear window tinted.

I am not sure if I would want the roof tinted but my issue is the back window. If it is a gradual tint the rear window might look funny if you tinted only up to where the factory tint starts. If you go all the way to the top support beam then the rear window will be much darker than the roof. Then the OCD in me would know that the tint doesn't match and I would want to get the roof tinted.

I'll wait a bit when getting my car and take it to a couple shops before I get it tinted just to assess what I want to do. Even if the heat is ok from the roof glass I might still want to get it tinted so it matches the darkness of the top of the rear window tinted.

You may need to look at a premium tint brand. I think Huper Optik's US headquarters is there in Houston, there should be dealers/installers in your area. Now, the price is a different matter :)

Note also there are clear window tint materials that work very well. My wife got a prescription from her dermatologist in CA.