Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window venting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Florida, and would dearly love to be able to have the windows open to vent position automatically, and close when rain is detected and at dark.
Since Telsa does not have customer service, how can this idea be presented?...it should be easy to do.
What I find frustrating is when I open the windows to vent , from the phone app, 9 out of 10 times, I get a command time out error and they wont open.
Has any one else seen this?
Tom

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm not familiar with the app window vent issue. Just a word of caution from neighboring state of Georgia. I used to crack my windows in the summertime (worrying about afternoon thunderstorms). That is, until I found that a wasp had used that opportunity to take up residence. He introduced himself to me at 75 mph on I-95. That was fun. Now I keep the windows closed and use the app to run A/C 5 minutes before I get in the car.

I live in Florida, and would dearly love to be able to have the windows open to vent position automatically, and close when rain is detected and at dark.
Since Telsa does not have customer service, how can this idea be presented?...it should be easy to do.
Actually those ideas have already been presented. Elon seems to like the idea of closing the windows when rain is detected. :)

Reactions: Blue Express
Which, if implemented, would probably start some people into pranking Tesla owners who leave their windows open on a 100+ degree day, using a simple spray bottle of water in front of the windshield camera :) .

I don't think it would work that way. That would require polling the car at a regular interval and asking it if it detects rain (which it might not even provide). Doing this would keep the car awake and run down the battery.

Instead, I'd fetch the lat/long of the car upon parking and would test against a weather API at that location... then wake the car up and close the windows when rain is expected.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I don't think it would work that way. That would require polling the car at a regular interval and asking it if it detects rain (which it might not even provide). Doing this would keep the car awake and run down the battery.

Instead, I'd fetch the lat/long of the car upon parking and would test against a weather API at that location... then wake the car up and close the windows when rain is expected.
Okay, then make the automatic closure of the windows when rain is seen only happen if Sentry mode is active. Cameras are definitely being used then and people (should) know that it eats up the battery. I don't trust the accuracy of even the NWS for their forecasts of rain.

Which, if implemented, would probably start some people into pranking Tesla owners who leave their windows open on a 100+ degree day, using a simple spray bottle of water in front of the windshield camera :) .
Yes, never underestimate pranksters. Although, I would suspect they would not know this feature exist and they might prefer to screw around with accessing the car via open windows instead.

Ya know... the app allows both venting and closing the windows remotely. Why not just do this manually?

I think it's unlikely that any reliable method for rain detection will exist for this feature. The auto wipers already don't work well, and that would require polling... and weather APIs can be wrong and/or just not match the weather at your car's exact location.

If this feature were implemented and the windows don't close when it rains, you'd be unhappy. Instead, just do it yourself 🙂

I keep the car here at home most of the time, pranksters will not be an issue.
As stated earlier, my app is very unreliable, I keep getting errors.... manually is a pain.
I even tried just cracking the windows, then getting out of the car, and it promptly shuts the windows when it locks the car.:(

I keep the car here at home most of the time, pranksters will not be an issue.
As stated earlier, my app is very unreliable, I keep getting errors.... manually is a pain.
I even tried just cracking the windows, then getting out of the car, and it promptly shuts the windows when it locks the car.:(

You need to look into why you are getting app errors / time outs. Make sure you have NO power optimizations of the tesla app, or bluetooth, and dont swipe it away.

The windows will stay cracked if you want them to, auto closing the windows when the car locks is a setting.

Reactions: father_of_6