Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows are fogging up constantly!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Winter has come to my area, and as soon as it got cold, I'm back to the same problem as last year - constant fogging of the windows!

What are the heater / vent settings that keep fogging from happening? I normally drive with the recirculation on, so I'm not constantly using power heating more and more cold air, and the upper 2 of the 3 left side "zone" buttons on. To blow at the dash and straight out, not the heater air to feet.

My Model 3 is a great car, but I've never had a car with more window fogging problems. This was never a big problem in my 1971 Plymouth Valiant!

Biggest problem I have found is that auto doesn't engage top windshield vent. If Tesla could just enable auto to stay engaged when manually selecting vent options I think it would solve my problem.

Edit: I should clarify, my issue is the windshield fogging, and also ice forming in windshield due to moisture. This is basically because the windshield stays extremely cold (due to that vent being defaulted to off while in auto). If I exhale I can cause fog on the windshield while I'm driving lol

Last edited:
I usually just set the temperature to 68, select the defroster vents, turn off recirculation and lower the fan speed to 1.

This usually keeps the windows from fogging up in the winter without using too much energy. Once in a while you may need to turn on the AC for a few minutes to speed up the process.

Reactions: goldengate
It's from something off-gassing inside the interior when the car is baking under the sun which deposits a film on the window, maybe the vinyl seats. Give them a deep clean a few times a year and it won't fog as much.

• Informative
Reactions: jerseygirl18
If Tesla could just enable auto to stay engaged when manually selecting vent options I think it would solve my problem.

Edit: I should clarify, my issue is the windshield fogging, and also ice forming in windshield due to moisture. This is basically because the windshield stays extremely cold (due to that vent being defaulted to off while in auto). If I exhale I can cause fog on the windshield while I'm driving lol
This is EXACTLY my issue as well. I was driving in an icy snowstorm a few weeks ago, and I HAD to keep the 'full' front defrosters on so the wipers would keep working.

I would like to stay in 'auto' temp control mode but get to select where the air comes from.

In the winter, I would always point it at the windshield and keep the seat heaters on. This works wonderfully when I do it in 'manual' mode. But, then I lose 'temp control'.

How do we get Tesla to heed our requests without being drowned out in the rest of the riff-raff? Can we get a 'feature request' poll forum, where once Tesla acknowledges our requests, and implements a fix, we close that poll/thread? Or once, we get enough supporters, we can start flooding his twitter. It would behoove him to provide a more efficient, and less bothersome way for popular requests to get through.

Last edited:
Biggest problem I have found is that auto doesn't engage top windshield vent. If Tesla could just enable auto to stay engaged when manually selecting vent options I think it would solve my problem.

Correct, auto currently does not use the windshield vents. Lame, but easily corrected with manual. I would also suggest aiming your driver/passenger vents towards the windows. Eliminates frozen windows and side window fogging.

Manual adjustments can be done, suboptimally, but point is auto needs to allow top which would drastically improve windshield fog and freeze issue. This is my second winter with my P3D, and manual mode juggling temp and blower speed is a real pain to keep external and internal windshield clear and ice free while maintaining constant comfortable cabin temps.