Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows don't always go all the way up when door is closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
I've noticed this a few times when closing the door (from outside).

The window stays in the lowered position it was when the door was opened. If I close the door a 2nd time, it goes back up.

I have the latest firmware (2018.26.3 be4b11e) update, fwiw

This is the process I remember reading about in the Model S forum. BTW this has happened to me in my Toyota Avalon and I did this and it cleared it.

Try using the window button to run it all the way down, hold it there for a few seconds (keep button pressed 10sec), then try running it back up(again keep it pressed 10sec while window is up). On mine, it fixed the problem, and it hasn't happened again since.

If your window buttons wouldn't work at all, which doesn't seem to be your situation, it might be due to a button regulator which would require a service visit. Here's the post from a guy in that situation:

So, as a follow-up, my experience at the service center was very good! The problem actually turned out to be a faulty window regulator (a hardware not a software issue!). The fault was diagnosed and the part replaced within an hour and a half of my scheduled appointment and I was on my way home! I am very very pleased with the quality of the service!

I just had the same issue with my new Model 3. The front passenger window stayed down (on a rainy day) and I came back to a wet seat.

I hope/suggest that a future upgrade allows for a Notification to be sent when we walk away from the car with a partially open door and/or window