Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows opening automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3's windows are regularly opening automatically when I am away from the car and its locked. On one occasion this was overnight and it rained heavily so the car was soaked inside. This problem is not just irritating but also a security issue. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Try calibrating the windows. Found the procedure in the Model Y manual (via Google):

Calibrating Windows​

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.
To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

Reactions: Prodock and rpiotro
October 4 - I unlocked the car (model Y July 2022) unplugged the power, and walked away. The car locked folded mirrors honked and opened all windows a little bit. It wasn't on pet mode or automatic venting. It was only 64 degrees out and car in the shade. Fortunately I got a notification that multiple windows were open.
It has also been opening a passenger side window after a passenger gets in the front. I suppose I'll try the 'Calibration' and see if I still experience problems.

Ugh this has happened twice now to my wife when she's driven our 2023 LR M3, just today as a matter of fact. It was pouring out here in Socal. According to her the window was cracked open a bit. Guess we'll try that window calibration to see if it helps.

Ugh this has happened twice now to my wife when she's driven our 2023 LR M3, just today as a matter of fact. It was pouring out here in Socal. According to her the window was cracked open a bit. Guess we'll try that window calibration to see if it helps.
Were all the windows cracked open a bit or just one (maybe the window vent function triggered somehow)? There apparently is going to be a firmware update that might change some of the window auto close functionality due to an NHTSA recall but I do not believe anyone has it yet. Not sure why this recall is necessary because Tesla supposedly pushed a firmware update to calibrate window closing force to within safe limits? Has anyone verified the window closing force?

Were all the windows cracked open a bit or just one (maybe the window vent function triggered somehow)? There apparently is going to be a firmware update that might change some of the window auto close functionality due to an NHTSA recall but I do not believe anyone has it yet. Not sure why this recall is necessary because Tesla supposedly pushed a firmware update to calibrate window closing force to within safe limits? Has anyone verified the window closing force?
100% sure none of the windows were cracked open. Can't say for sure if the vent function triggered some how. I haven't encountered this myself. Where did you hear of this firmware update coming?

And another basic: are you sure you are not inadvertently touching the window controls as you open your door to get out. Sounds silly but that has happened to me and it took me months before I realized I was actually doing it.

At first I thought it was my wife or myself hitting the window button....I will have to look into this. Doesn't happen all the time but with 5k miles on the car it has happened enough that I will keep a closer eye on things!

Fortunately I got a notification that multiple windows were open.
1. So the vent button is no longer available, so that's no help.
2. I calibrate all the windows.
3. Not inadvertently touching the controls, it happens now and then.
4. The setting to roll up all windows when you have walk away lock on is no longer an option. (NHTSA recall)

Still looking for an answer.
P.S.
The next time it happens, I'll send the approximate time and date, so Tesla support can pull the logs and see what if anything they say.