Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows opening on its own

Srad600Volt

Sep 28, 2020
Southern California
I've had the driver side rear window open once when the car was off/parked and then I was able to close it with the app.
I then left the drivers window down overnight (in my garage) and the next day it wouldn't close all the way. It would get to within 2" of closed and then re-open. I calibrated both windows (full down--->full up--->full down) and then rebooted the car. So far, the issue has not recurred. (Fingers crossed).

Watts 4 Me

May 6, 2016
H-town
Did they recalibrate the window? They could have walked you through that, saved you (and them) a lot of time.
I really dont know what they did. From how the service guy was talking to me it seemed he had never heard of a window doing that. I even made a post on the M3 section and people didnt believe what i was saying.

Ldub22

Mar 1, 2015
Kirkland, WA
I really dont know what they did. From how the service guy was talking to me it seemed he had never heard of a window doing that. I even made a post on the M3 section and people didnt believe what i was saying.
After owning a 2015 Model S, I believe anything. I also have a lot more tolerance for little problems. Probably scar tissue.

g0bears

Nov 5, 2020
Millbrae, CA
My passenger window was completely down when I went to the grocery store the other day... I received no notification via the app but just found it down when I came back to the car. It hasn't happened again but I will recalibrate if it does. It seems like multiple people are having this issue but for some the window/s just crack a few inches and others it comes all the way down.

Bednarz42

Jun 2, 2020
Bloomfield, NJ
My passenger window was completely down when I went to the grocery store the other day... I received no notification via the app but just found it down when I came back to the car. It hasn't happened again but I will recalibrate if it does. It seems like multiple people are having this issue but for some the window/s just crack a few inches and others it comes all the way down.

Had this happen yesterday.

Took my daughter skiing and came back to find my passenger side window halfway down. It was sleet/raining for over 2 hours.

I got no notification from the app, but when i got to the car I checked the app and it said the window was open. Unbelievable to me that they haven't fixed this with a software update yet. Had to dry out the entire passenger side seat. Ridiculous.

Had been dealing with the vented windows for a few weeks now already, but they only vented slightly. This was the first time I found the window to be significantly lower.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland

Took my daughter skiing and came back to find my passenger side window halfway down. It was sleet/raining for over 2 hours.

I got no notification from the app, but when i got to the car I checked the app and it said the window was open. Unbelievable to me that they haven't fixed this with a software update yet. Had to dry out the entire passenger side seat. Ridiculous.

Had been dealing with the vented windows for a few weeks now already, but they only vented slightly. This was the first time I found the window to be significantly lower.
I would re-calibrate the windows.

Ghanziang

Oct 27, 2017
Evergreen, CO
Took my daughter skiing and came back to find my passenger side window halfway down

Same happened to me for the passenger rear window half way down. Car was unlocked and in the garage. I had also gone skiing with my family in a different vehicle (the Y stayed home). Maybe it is because the model Y wanted to go skiing to?

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA

Fixing this issue would require Tesla to admit it has an issue in the first place.

This is what many of us find frustrating in dealing with the company.

You may also want to take a hair dryer to the carpet make sure things are all dry down there ? I had a leaky pano roof and things started smelling mildewy until I did a bunch of drying out and spraying a bleach solution to finally kill the smell.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
I believe its a bigger issue than we know. And thats why the app now tells you when a window is down.
I can't wait for the conversation with the insurance company...

"What - you say someone broke into your car when the window was down?"

"It's a Tesla issue."

"Indeed it is. That's not a valid claim. I'd talk to them."

Midnightsun

Nov 29, 2020
Canada
Today while in my garage I opened the drivers door, oddly enough the passenger window went into vent position. Corrected it and all is fine. Definitely some kind of glitch happening. Not sure how many people use the vent function but with preconditioning so easily available I question the reason for it. Just remove the option until you get it working properly is my suggestion.

X-Chris

Nov 21, 2020
VA
I calibrated both windows (full down--->full up--->full down) and then rebooted the car. So far, the issue has not recurred. (Fingers crossed).

Maybe just a typo, but that it is not the correct calibration process as described in the manual. It is Up/down/up (not down/up/down).

From manual:

To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Use the driver window switch to lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC