Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In that case it wouldn’t be an Original Equipment Manufacurer part! If it’s OEM, it has been made for Tesla and is an official Tesla part - I doubt Tesla make their own windscreens.
I should have been clearer in my reply. There are two sources for screens. Tesla or a windscreen company like Autoglass. Autoglass and others get their screens (usually) from their own suppliers who make pattern parts. I'm not saying OEM is the same as a pattern part. The point I was trying to make is Autoglass et al use non-Tesla glass whenever possible.

In that case it wouldn’t be an Original Equipment Manufacurer part! If it’s OEM, it has been made for Tesla and is an official Tesla part - I doubt Tesla make their own windscreens.
OE = original, branded part
OEM = part made by the OE manufacturer, without car marque branding. Usually off the same production line (but not always!). In some cases this is really obvious, such as all the other markings being identical or where they've clearly ground off the logo that was on the moulding!
Aftermarket/pattern = unofficial replica by another manufacturer.

I had my M3 roof glass/sunroof replaced by National Windscreens but the glass was still OE and branded (but through their supply chain). All the companies I contacted for quotes said that windscreens are available OEM now (ie identical but sans Tesla logo) but all other glass is OE only

OE = original, branded part
OEM = part made by the OE manufacturer, without car marque branding. Usually off the same production line (but not always!). In some cases this is really obvious, such as all the other markings being identical or where they've clearly ground off the logo that was on the moulding!
Aftermarket/pattern = unofficial replica by another manufacturer.

I had my M3 roof glass/sunroof replaced by National Windscreens but the glass was still OE and branded (but through their supply chain). All the companies I contacted for quotes said that windscreens are available OEM now (ie identical but sans Tesla logo) but all other glass is OE only
I think the definition of the term OEM may be a bit murky and won’t pursue that argument! I can say that I’ve had 2 windscreens from Autoglass, one for my 3, and one for my Y. Both in the first 6 months of ownership - and both with a ‘T’ marking.