Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a bit of an impact-crack in the front-left of my Model X windscreen. It's two cracks at about a 135 degree angle, 1cm long on each side of the centre.

Autoglass will repair it for £210 or thereabouts. The excess on my Direct Line policy is £25. Autoglass are Direct Line's preferred repairer. When they did a repair on our Renault Zoe that was quite near the edge of the windscreen they warned that it might shatter the whole thing, and it did.

A few questions that kind-hearted souls may wish to help me with:
  1. If I get Direct Line to handle it, will they push up my premium? It won't affect my no-claims bonus, but I'm sure I've read that they'll still keep it on record and use that as an excuse to put the price up.
  2. If I _don't_ tell them about it first, and the windscreen shatters when Autoglass try to repair it, will Direct Line then refuse to cough up for the replacement?
  3. How painful is getting a replacement Model X windscreen these days? Tesla have said about a grand, but I'm worrying that the lead times might be redonkulous.

IMG_2924.jpg

Thumb included for scale.

Thanks in advance!

I would go through insurance, if excess is £25, the insurance would need to go up by £185 to be worse off next year... that is not likely.

When I had a leak in a read window fixed by autoglass by removing and resealing, I was told that I was liable for the cost of new glass if it broke, not insurance as it would have been during work being performed and not through normal driving.... Autoglass then passed that risk onto me! I was fortunate in that it all went smoothly!

If insurance take on the fix, they take on the risk, thus covering the replacement cost.

For the cost of £185 definitely and the potential for a £1k bill if it does not go well, I would go through the insurance and have a discussion at renewal time - but YMMV with regards to the cost/risk calculation as it is a personal thing!

An example the other way, is that I have never claimed on the house insurance as I am happy to take on the risk of repairing things myself in case of leaks, damage etc. in order to avoid the policy creeping up. The insurance is there to cover disasters... which most house insurance policies are trying to exclude! e.g. if a fire is caused by a washing machine or other electrical appliance, you are not covered on a lot of cheaper policies when you read the small print.... that is perhaps the most likely source of a house destroying fire!

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
I’d go through insurance as that is a more difficult repair that could lead to the crack extended as they inject the resin and needing a new screen. If it were a simpler repair then not going through insurance would make sense.

• Helpful
I've got a bit of an impact-crack in the front-left of my Model X windscreen. It's two cracks at about a 135 degree angle, 1cm long on each side of the centre.

Autoglass will repair it for £210 or thereabouts. The excess on my Direct Line policy is £25. Autoglass are Direct Line's preferred repairer. When they did a repair on our Renault Zoe that was quite near the edge of the windscreen they warned that it might shatter the whole thing, and it did.

1. If I get Direct Line to handle it, will they push up my premium? It won't affect my no-claims bonus, but I'm sure I've read that they'll still keep it on record and use that as an excuse to put the price up.
  2. If I _don't_ tell them about it first, and the windscreen shatters when Autoglass try to repair it, will Direct Line then refuse to cough up for the replacement?
  3. How painful is getting a replacement Model X windscreen these days? Tesla have said about a grand, but I'm worrying that the lead times might be redonkulous.

View attachment 954957

Thanks in advance!
go through insurance.

I had something similar in the past. it was close to the edge as well. it obviously cracked across whole windshield next day. it was under Autoglass warranty - they replaced whole glass after that. but excess I paid was only for the repair of chip, which was significantly lower than whole glass replacement ;)

With those sized cracks, I’d get to Halfords and try their windscreen resin repair kit. Costs about £12, has enough material to sort loads of repairs and I’ve done lots of cars with it. Apart from the one in my M3 which was 2/3 the width of the screen, they have always held and they ended up forgotten about

Following advice on here, I called Direct Line, and their automated system then sent me an SMS with a link to the Autoglass booking system. It presumably was a custom front-end, and it had the Direct Line logo on. Autoglass came out a few hours later to repair it, which luckily went smoothly. The chap said that if the repair process had broken things further then Autoglass would be handling the replacement at one of their centres, rather than Tesla. He seemed to know a lot about the Model X, so I expect he's done a few.

There was some minor confusion about VAT as it's a company car, but I'm the registered keeper, so the insurance is in my name but the company pays for it, and VAT isn't chargeable on insurance itself, but VAT is chargeable on the repair... And so on.

Interesting thread I was unaware that getting a windscreen fixed or replaced could potentially increase your insurance premium!
I can't source the assertion that made about this, so take my words with a pinch of salt. I could be (and usually am) talking bobbins!

Reactions: init6 and MrT3
For future reference, if you are unlucky and do end up with a full windscreen replacement, be sure to approach your nearest tesla service centre to enquire about windscreen lead times.
Our MY needed a new one. Autoglass were in the dark and couldn’t give us a solid estimate. Tesla were understandably much more accurate and had us sorted in a couple of weeks.
Things may have improved now but just fyi.

• Informative
With those sized cracks, I’d get to Halfords and try their windscreen resin repair kit. Costs about £12, has enough material to sort loads of repairs and I’ve done lots of cars with it. Apart from the one in my M3 which was 2/3 the width of the screen, they have always held and they ended up forgotten about
+1, seems scary the first time but is very easy after you know what you're doing!

or you think I could ring them up and demand it be a genuine from Tesla themselves
you could try but they may delay you even if they agree as getting screens from Tesla has been problematic.

My screen is acoustic and from one of the OEMs that Tesla uses in China so personally I have no issues with it not having a Tesla marking on it.

you could try but they may delay you even if they agree as getting screens from Tesla has been problematic.

My screen is acoustic and from one of the OEMs that Tesla uses in China so personally I have no issues with it not having a Tesla marking on it.
I agree it’s all the same quality all from same place just without the branding 👍

View attachment 954957

Thanks in advance!
Never mind the crack, how long are your thumbs? 😂